Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sony A7R or Pentax FF

KEH has the Sony A7R for 1329 right now and I have been debating selling off my K-5, A5000, and one of my Yashica Medium formats to get it. Should I grab the A7R or should I wait a few months for the Pentax FF release and price drop? Personally I don't like adapters but the A7R has some pretty nice video too, and the still quality is amazing. But no IS and adapters is really killing me plus the lack of AF. Which do you think is better or should I just keep using my K-5 and stop trying to find a reason to buy a new camera. Thanks

08-30-2015, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welp, since we know approximately zero specifics about the upcoming FF, there's kind of no way to answer your question...
08-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a selection of K-mount lenses, at least wait until we get the official release of the Pentax FF. Once you see its price and specifications, you will have an easier time deciding. And meanwhile, the A7R might become slightly more affordable. Unless you need some features of the A7R that the K-5 doesnt have for a project soon.
Also, you might want to try just holding one in your hand. Go to a store or maybe if you know someone who has one, or even try renting for a weekend. For a lot of people the feeling of the camera in the hands and while shooting is very important.
08-30-2015, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Sony A7R or Pentax FF
Bit of a tough call just now when all we know about the Pentax FF is a bit of guesswork.

Waiting for this long... I'd now hold off the extra short time and see what Pentax has to offer us all.

08-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

KEH has the Sony A7R for 1329 right now and I have been debating selling off my K-5, A5000, and one of my Yashica Medium formats to get it. Should I grab the A7R or should I wait a few months for the Pentax FF release and price drop? Personally I don't like adapters but the A7R has some pretty nice video too, and the still quality is amazing. But no IS and adapters is really killing me plus the lack of AF. Which do you think is better or should I just keep using my K-5 and stop trying to find a reason to buy a new camera. Thanks
A7R price will be lower when Pentax FF coming out(keh typically has 15% or 20% discount at holiday season). Just be patient and wait another month! Personally I am very attempting to get Pentax FF as I know that the super pixel shift on FF is a way to match or exceed Medium frame camera(giving K3II has very good delivery to beat all FF cameras) for static objects!
08-30-2015, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Sony roared into the photography world with the A7 series like a supersonic jet and we are still trembling from the wake of yesterday's technology. Everyone wanted an A7 model. Many people bought one and I can understand why. There was nothing else quite like it. The shine and glitter from the older models hasn't worn off yet and prices have fallen significantly. Now you finally have what you wanted months and years ago. Plus, being able to say you have a FF body ... and a Sony? Wow! Unfortunately, there are some serious compromises you have to accept. K-mount lenses will work but in full auto mode. You will be disappointed that you can't use all the auto features of your FA Limiteds. That will spurn you to buy native lenses and they are not cheap. You will start running two parallel systems. That's like having too many cars in the garage to maintain. Every car needs tires, an oil change, gas, insurance, etc. Many reviews will say that the A7 is a good camera but not a great camera. Be mindful of the "soft" features like ergonomics and usability which can't be directly measured.

If you are blessed with the time and finances to afford this and want to dive in then don't let anyone stop you. The world economy will thank you. However, if you're asking for validation on a public forum then some voice of hesitation is whispering in your ear saying this may not be the best move.
08-30-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
I think I'm gonna hold out for the Pentax FF. Boris made some good points there and everybody gave me some solid stuff. Granted Boris I have no good AF pentax lenses and I really only prefer the M series or the Super/Auto Taks. Plus I have an emount lens to use in crop mode on the a7r already too. Plus finances technically aren't there but if I sold some of my bodies then I could probably swing it. But overall I think I'll wait for the Pentax. I would hate to put those lenses back on a Sony. They do to well on a Pentax. Thanks guys!

08-30-2015, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good things come to those who wait.

Listen to me. Keep your mind clear. And that's it.
08-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
Should be interesting. For all I know I might stick it with my K-5 for a while. Tough little camera. The a5000 might be gone soon though...
08-30-2015, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've tried it and I don't like mirrorless. The viewfinder is rubbish, in my view. (No pun intended) Great little camera, otherwise, but I will stick with my K-5 and hope to be able to afford Pentax FF when it's been on the market for a year or two!
08-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A friend of mine was selling his A7r at a steal, but I didn't go for it. There are too many things I love about Pentax to make the switch. I'm going to wait to see what the FF offers before I make any decisions about what to do in the future. I know it will be expensive and it will probably be of my price range, but I'm more interested in what new features the FF will bring (tethering, etc). Pentax seems to be way more generous about sharing technologies with "lower-tier" cameras. If tethering does appear in the FF, I know it's only a matter of time before they put it in all of their newer releases.
08-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
I like the mirrorless because it allows me to just keep buying every lens ever basically and use all of them and have amazing glass for the whopping highest price of $35. (most I ever paid for a lens Kiron 28-70 macro *well worth it*) but I have yet to use an EVF. I like optical VF's because I have used them the most on either the K1000 or K-5 but EVF seems a bit of a stretch. But one thing I like about sony is that their Video quality is cinema quality and if I ever went back into the video dept. I could have solid still and video camera. But I *heard* 4K video might be a possibility in the FF. So that might get me. Either way if the FF if over 2 grand it is definitely not happening lol. 1300 is a stretch but I know I could swing it.
08-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I like the mirrorless because it allows me to just keep buying every lens ever basically and use all of them and have amazing glass for the whopping highest price of $35. (most I ever paid for a lens Kiron 28-70 macro *well worth it*) but I have yet to use an EVF. I like optical VF's because I have used them the most on either the K1000 or K-5 but EVF seems a bit of a stretch. But one thing I like about sony is that their Video quality is cinema quality and if I ever went back into the video dept. I could have solid still and video camera. But I *heard* 4K video might be a possibility in the FF. So that might get me. Either way if the FF if over 2 grand it is definitely not happening lol. 1300 is a stretch but I know I could swing it.
Pentax FF will definately be over 2 grand. Likely closer to 3grand. Personally, if you cannot justify a camera over 2 grand, I would get the Sony a7 II, over the A7r because the 5 axis image stabilization, the viewfinder is faster, the ergonmics are better for modern photographers
08-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

Original Poster
Where could one get this camera for 1400 Hunts and Roberts both are at 1700 basically. This is all speculation though. If I find a price good enough I may jump on it
08-30-2015, 07:13 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I have the A7 and I've tried the A7r before.

My advise is :
1. Pentax FF is too near to release to ignore it at this point (basically wait and see what its got )
2. If you have AF lenses you'd like to use, the Pentax FF is the sure thing to get.
3. If you have mostly or lots of manual lenses, then the A7 is better in most cases.
4. Better photographic flow and thought out features/functions - Pentax

On point #4, I've mentioned it a few times here on this forums.
Sony's got the tech, but photographic use/flow wise, they don't seem to think it out as well.
a. Rigid bracketing options
b. Sensor reflections (esp A7)
c. Sensor stack thickness
d. Rigid timer release/bracketing options.
e. menu digging to get to remote, evf unlinked to settings (needed for strobing)

On the specifics of A7r, I'd not recommend it for the following reasons:
1. Shutter shake for some longer lenses
2. No electronic first curtain shutter resulting in a slow shutter reaction that makes it harder to do shots that involve moving ppl (eg. streets, kids)
3. Resolution plus thick sensor stack makes it very harsh on lenses (esp. wides) on the edges
4. High res is very tough on shooting discipline (I've seen enough slightly blurred samples at 100% even in good light due to poor shooting technique)

If you want to buy an A7 series, I'd suggest an A7 or A7II

Personally, at this point, I would just ask you to wait for the Pentax.