Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would you choose ?

I've put an accepted direct offer on a K5-II, boxed, all accessories + SMC Pentax DA 18-55 ED AL WR : 410 euro including shipping, 8600 actuations
I won an auction on a K-5 boxed with all accessories mint, 1600 actuations : 370 euro inc. shipping
I won another auction on a K-5 boxed with all accessories (2 batteries), 7000 actuations : 340 euro inc. shipping

I realy did not thought I would win these auctions considering the very good conditions of the 2 K-5 for the prices but I did and have to alert sellers asap if I can't buy their item...

The K-5 II is currently my prefered choice mainly because of its much better back LCD screen, and by where I live, it's sunny almost 96% days of year, the bundled lens also is quite valuable...

Is there anything where the K-5 II is weak compared to the K-5 ?

Which one would you choose ?

Thanks !

11-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am told the K5ll is not as sharp as K5 because of anti aliasing feature. That is why Pentax came out with the K5llS. I have a K5 and LOVE IT.
11-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
I am told the K5ll is not as sharp as K5 because of anti aliasing feature. That is why Pentax came out with the K5llS. I have a K5 and LOVE IT.
Need more informations but many on this forum told me that the K-5 has the AA filter too. Can someone aknowledge this ?
11-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bygp Quote
I won an auction on a K-5 boxed with all accessories mint, 1600 actuations : 370 euro inc. shipping
I would choose that one. ^^^

---------- Post added 30-11-15 at 11:04 ----------

Need more informations but many on this forum told me that the K-5 has the AA filter too. Can someone aknowledge this ?
K-5 - AA filter
K-5ii - AA filter
K-5iis - no AA filter

K-5ii has better AF over K-5 I believe.

11-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 and K-5 II are basically the same camera. The K-5 II had a better LCD and better AF. The K-5 IIs removed the anti-aliasing filter. It gives a sharper image, but moire can be a problem (in the few situations moire would be a problem).
11-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
K-5 and K-5 II are basically the same camera. The K-5 II had a better LCD and better AF. The K-5 IIs removed the anti-aliasing filter. It gives a sharper image, but moire can be a problem (in the few situations moire would be a problem).
I believe it is the same LCD, but different glass over it.
11-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Upon this comparison Pentax K-5 II vs K-5 - Our Analysis I'll think I'll keep the K-5 II , mainly for the LCD screen, less noise at high iso, longer battery autonomy (30% more) and better ergonomy (more space between viewfinder and LCD, gripping plastic parts seem more "adhesive" to hands... the only cons I see is the shutter lag but I don't shoot that fast anyway, using mainly MF lenses.

---------- Post added 11-30-15 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I believe it is the same LCD, but different glass over it.
yes but they put a saphir glass (almost impossible to scratch) with no air gap and the saphir is mate, so this LCD is much more readable under daylight. That's probably why the II is a bit heavier, plus possibly heavier battery.

11-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Upon this comparison Pentax K-5 II vs K-5 - Our Analysis I'll think I'll keep the K-5 II , mainly for the LCD screen, less noise at high iso, longer battery autonomy (30% more) and better ergonomy (more space between viewfinder and LCD, gripping plastic parts seem more "adhesive" to hands..
That review is total BS. There are very minor differences between the cameras. The battery, or battery life is NOT one of them, they use the same battery and have identical battery life. The cameras except for the LCD are identical on the outside. "gripping plastic parts are more adhesive" ???? Sorry whoever wrote that never touched either camera, they are identical.

The advantage of the k-5II is the somewhat better AF and the LCD screen. Everything else is the same. The k-5IIs removed the AA filter and is noticeably sharper.
11-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That review is total BS. There are very minor differences between the cameras. The battery, or battery life is NOT one of them, they use the same battery and have identical battery life. The cameras except for the LCD are identical on the outside. "gripping plastic parts are more adhesive" ???? Sorry whoever wrote that never touched either camera, they are identical.

The advantage of the k-5II is the somewhat better AF and the LCD screen. Everything else is the same. The k-5IIs removed the AA filter and is noticeably sharper.
TY for these corrections, I know these kind of websites are often not reliable... anyway, the LCD would be the main reason I would take the K-5 II, and the bundled lens that I can sell if I don't like it, so I would get a quite cheap K-5 II (around 350 euro if I can sell this lens 60 euro). On the other hand, the mint condition K-5 seller seems more reliable showing all accessories on his pic. I have a few days to make up my mind
11-30-2015, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

K5II, as it's (i) an improved version of K5, and (ii) comes with a WR lens.
11-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But the 7000 actuation K-5 is the cheapest (340 euro incl. shipping) boxed, all accessories, 2 batteries and it is the only seller accepting item returning, feel a bit more confident with this seller...
Plus he gives detailed things about the camera condition, tiny scratch on the LCD, a few dust particles in the viewdinfer (this is not an issue for me, as I'll replace the focusing screen).
But the K-5 II seller has 100% excellent feedbacks as seller, and yet sold lots of lenses, cameras, etc... lol I'll probably stay on the K-5 II option

Last edited by bygp; 11-30-2015 at 12:31 PM.
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If these were on ebay you will have a significant issue with some sellers in the future. Never bid on multiple items or put in offers unless you plan to buy then all if you win. That said, I would keep the k5ii for future resale.
11-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If these were on ebay you will have a significant issue with some sellers in the future.
I was going to ask about that as well, OP what auction site are you using? If you did that on ebay you would own all three.
11-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

On eBay you are making a contract to buy the item when you bid. Under certain circumstances you can retract your bid before the auction ends, but the seller can legally try to hold you to the sale once you win it. Even if they let you out, you are risking negative feedback and hurting your reputation. Becoming a repeat non-paying buyer may get your account closed or frozen.

I usually wait until the last day to place a bid in case a Buy-It-Now item or a better auction comes up. If you put in a bid 6 days early and something better comes along it's already too late. Retracting a bid is meant as a last resort, not routine. eg. if you bid $5025 when you meant to bid $50.25. (Yes, I've done it once or twice when missing a period on my phone, and I'm much more careful now.) If you must retract a bid for some reason, do it before the auction ends so that someone else has a chance to win without causing a hassle for you and the seller
11-30-2015, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I've put an accepted direct offer on a K5-II, boxed, all accessories + SMC Pentax DA 18-55 ED AL WR : 410 euro including shipping, 8600 actuations
I won another auction on a K-5 boxed with all accessories (2 batteries), 7000 actuations : 340 euro inc. shipping

I realy did not thought I would win these auctions considering the very good conditions of the 2 K-5 for the prices but I did and have to alert sellers asap if I can't buy their item...

The K-5 II is currently my prefered choice mainly because of its much better back LCD screen, and by where I live, it's sunny almost 96% days of year, the bundled lens also is quite valuable...

Is there anything where the K-5 II is weak compared to the K-5 ?

Which one would you choose ?

Thanks !
I would pick the K-5 II for the better monitor LCD screen alone. I have an original K-5 and its a great camera but its one weakness is the rear monitor screen which is an easily scratched plastic. I presume the K-5 II has the same glass screen as the K-3 which is much more durable and resistant to minor but annoying scratches.