Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 06:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-x sharpness question/problem.

I have two K-x cameras. One, a white version, seems to produce images that are far less sharp than the black version. I've made sure that every in-camera setting is identical. I've shot both using a tripod. I've tried lenses on each one that are proven to be sharp and the results are the same. The white one produces inferior sharpness. Being one of those bourgeois types who covets sharpness, this just won't do!

Any clues as to why this would be the case?

Also, while I'm asking questions about the K-x (which is a new camera to me), all my images from BOTH cameras are too dark and require over-riding the AE setting to get a proper exposure. As a general rule, I always shot in aperture priority mode..... for whatever that's worth in this equation.

02-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you tried focussing on live view? It could be something as simple as the diopter needing adjustment. Sadly you can't dial in lens corrections on the k-x, which is a bit unfortunate. A service may help?

Worst case scenario, sell both of them on eBay, and pick up a cheap k-s1 body. (I used to own a k-x, and can honestly say that as far as sharpness goes, the k-s1 is in a different league. Thats before I mention things like lens adjustments, and that viewfinder!).
02-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Have you tried focussing on live view? It could be something as simple as the diopter needing adjustment. Sadly you can't dial in lens corrections on the k-x, which is a bit unfortunate. A service may help?

Worst case scenario, sell both of them on eBay, and pick up a cheap k-s1 body. (I used to own a k-x, and can honestly say that as far as sharpness goes, the k-s1 is in a different league. Thats before I mention things like lens adjustments, and that viewfinder!).

Yep, one of the first things I always do is adjust the diopter. But, I have two K-50's and a K-30, so sharpness is not a real pressing issue. It's just that I'd like to get the little K-x "Storm Trooper" to perform like it's black brother!
02-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #4

I have a white K-x too and I had the similar issue as you described. It was not until recently that I realized the camera was always back-focusing. Actually, I did the calibration yesterday by using the debug mode. You can search how to access the debug mode. There are two methods. I couldn't to use the MODSET.492 method for some reason, but I was able to use a 3rd-party software called PK-Tether.

Then I found that my K-x's focus needed be adjusted at least +120!! After doing that, my pictures are unprecedentedly sharp! I wish I knew it 5 years ago when I bought the camera. Can't believe I've shot pictures with a miss-focused camera for 5 years...

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

02-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david14898 Quote
I have a white K-x too and I had the similar issue as you described. It was not until recently that I realized the camera was always back-focusing. Actually, I did the calibration yesterday by using the debug mode. You can search how to access the debug mode. There are two methods. I couldn't to use the MODSET.492 method for some reason, but I was able to use a 3rd-party software called PK-Tether.

Then I found that my K-x's focus needed be adjusted at least +120!! After doing that, my pictures are unprecedentedly sharp! I wish I knew it 5 years ago when I bought the camera. Can't believe I've shot pictures with a miss-focused camera for 5 years...

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Thanks for the information, David. I must admit, I'm the absolute dullest knife in the drawer when it comes to anything involved with computer applications. I downloaded the PK-Tether software and also found a Youtube video that might help. I'll see what I can accomplish, but I'm afraid I'll either make it worse, or ........ curses..... ruin the camera altogether! I don't suppose you happen to live near Boise, Idaho, do you?
02-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could very well be an AF calibration issue. Or, if you're using different lenses, one of them might be to blame. I you get sharp photos in live view but not through the viewfinder, that would point toward AF calibration.

As for the exposure issue, remember that the K-x is a generation older than your K-30, so it might behave a bit differently. Make sure you're in matrix metering mode and dial in an exposure compensation as needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Thanks for the information, David. I must admit, I'm the absolute dullest knife in the drawer when it comes to anything involved with computer applications. I downloaded the PK-Tether software and also found a Youtube video that might help. I'll see what I can accomplish, but I'm afraid I'll either make it worse, or ........ curses..... ruin the camera altogether! I don't suppose you happen to live near Boise, Idaho, do you?
I do not. However, the software and the debug mode are very easy to use. The difficult thing is the calibration itself. I'm far from an expert and I don't have those calibration tool/chart with me. I just used a ruler and set up a simple system to do it. As you can see from the attached image, I focused on the owner's manual using maximum aperture. Number 3 on the ruler should be the sharpest point, but it turned out to be somewhere between number 6 and 8. Then I went to the debug mode and adjusted the AF +/- number, and shot images back and forth until I felt +120 gave me the best result. This may not be accurate, but it is definitely much better than pre-adjustment. Just remember to turn off the debug mode in PK-Tether after everything is done. Whatever your method is, there is no chance you can make it worse.

I also echo Adam's comment that you'd better compare your pictures between live view mode and viewfinder mode before you do the calibration. I did it and I found that my pictures shooting by live view were always sharp so I knew it was the camera's AF needed to be adjusted. PM me if you have any questions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-x  Photo 
02-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

Hi Demwan, I'm new to this forum and haven't figured out how to show an attached photo in a thread. I sent the photo to you through PM. Hope it is helpful.

David