Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 03:37 AM   #1

Quick question: Fuji x100s or Pentax k5ii + 35mm f2.8 macro limited?

Hey buddies,

if you had to choose between these 2 options, to be your only walk around / street photography / landscapes / portraits camera, without thinking to much about upgrading / buying new lenses in a near future, what would you choose? Also, which one do you think has a higher comercial value?

Looking forward to reading your opinions!

02-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
No one here to respond, we're all in the K-1 new pictures "room"

The answer is not so simple.

What experience do you have as a photographer? Are you more of an "auto settings" shooter or more advanced? If you're not that knowledgeable in photographyat the moment, do you plan to study more in the future, or just want a hassle free apparatus to have with you most of the times and snap shots around? Do you think an aspect like a weather sealed camera would be important to you?

the Pentax 35mm is very good for a walk-around, even portraits though for that a 50 - 70mm focal would be more desirable, but that 23mm on the Fuji for portraits.. i don't know. Maybe t could be used for environmental kind of portraiture. But we're going into detail.
02-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #3

I have K-3 with DA21 and x100T. They are comparably in size and pretty close in FOV, but the Pentax is a lot heavier. Larger aperture in the x100T but SR in the Pentax. Both are excellent.
Iǘe also got the DA35mm macro, and if I want 35mm or macro I would use the 35mm and if I wanted 23mm I would use x100T.
02-13-2016, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Definitely the Pentax K5iis and 35 macro

02-13-2016, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I would go with the Pentax ....but although the 35mm is fine, I would go with something wider like a 21 mm Limited. I used to use my old Leica rangefinder (film) with it's 50mm, but I find wider works better for me, as you can get more in the shot...then crop. Sometimes a 35-50 is limiting.
02-13-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why not the gr2
02-13-2016, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

There are pros/cons to each. Only you know what weight each of your evaluation criteria holds. I'm a multiple camera person. And I use to own a X100. Certainly the X100S makes for an easy to carry around, no struggling with what lens to take decision and good travel camera. And the 23mm focal length is a good general purpose focal length too. And without any camera religious fever I know which camera I'd reach for when I want ease and convenience for travel/street because either camera will get you great pictures if you can take them.

However, your camera performance categories of walk around/street photography/landscapes/portraits, are somewhat naive expectations from a fixed lens camera. Certainly you can shoot all those categories with a 23mm focal length ( also 1.4X converter? ) but the breath and scope of what you can do will be limited. Why not throw in sports while you're at it. You need to narrow the scope to make the Fuji more viable.

So for your performance categories, the K5II is your better option because in a moment of weakness you can slap on a different focal length more suited to the task at hand or to support your vision.

02-13-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K5IIs and it is the best Pentax I have ever owned. I love Fuji, but the X100 is very limiting in range, and the Pentax gives you all options in range.
Having friends with the X100, I know it is superb in IQ...but so is the K5IIs. You lose zero IQ with the Pentax and the right lens. I like options...the Pentax has them.

Regards!
02-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I have used the X100 and it's a great walkabout and street camera, I would not rate it high for portraits. I would not mind one as an alternative to using my K5iis but it could never replace it for me but I am not a street shooter.
02-13-2016, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
Ahh, I need to investigate that GRII.

Well, My first dslr was a Kx, then a Kr (which I really liked). I had to sell them and so far I've just been photographing with an iPhone 4s, including during during the recent trip I made to the Southeast Asia and Australia (I'm still in Australia). Recently I decided to get back to the dslr, and I got the K5ii (not the iis) with the da*35mm macro. I love the feeling and quality of the body and lens, but sometimes I feel it's too bulky for me to take it everywhere (as I got used to with the iPhone...)

So ye, should I sell this and buy the x100s? I never really missed a longer focal length while shooting with the iPhone, and ye, sometimes I feel that the DA*35mm is s bit too long, but I just can't decide!

I made a good deal for this combo, 700aud (around 500usd). What do you think is a fair reselling price at the moment? It should be worthing more than a second hand x100s, right?

Oh, and here are some pics I've been uploading and that should show you my style of shooting:

https://500px.com/rafaelrijo

Again, k5ii+da*35 or x100s?
02-14-2016, 12:10 AM   #11

This is where an MX-1 is handy. Great lens, SLR style handling with all the usual modes like aperture and shutter priority - it's a camera just made for slipping in a pocket and taking with you anywhere - there's very little this beautifully made little gem can't do with its excellent little zoom lens.

jonlg
(Who owns a K5, K3 and MX-1) and the DSLR's are sometimes just too big for some situations when you want to be unobtrusive...
02-14-2016, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

+1 GR.

Compromised size. Uncompromised image quality.
02-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zide Quote
Hey buddies,

if you had to choose between these 2 options, to be your only walk around / street photography / landscapes / portraits camera, without thinking to much about upgrading / buying new lenses in a near future, what would you choose? Also, which one do you think has a higher commercial value?

Looking forward to reading your opinions!
Both are nice kits. If you go with the X100s remember its jacket pocketable not jeans. The lens is a 23mm so you have to be careful for portraits but it will work. I had a X100 and sold it because i did not use it that much any more. But I found it makes a great travel camera, took two vacations with it and a point and shoot was was very happy with the results. Its also great to just pop in your briefcase or backpack. I'm holding on to the conversion lens to see what the next generation X100 offers. If they speed up the focusing I will buy another.

The X100 series holds its value real well for resale, much better than my K-5 Body.

the K-5 IIs will give you IBIS, faster focusing and the option for more lenses when you get tired of one focal length. Fuji overstates their high ISO performance and I found that my K-5 with the 21mm limited performed as well as the X100 for low light in the aperture range that 21 offers, of course it's not as fast a lens but you get great stabilization that the X100 series does not offer.
02-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
This is where an MX-1 is handy. Great lens, SLR style handling with all the usual modes like aperture and shutter priority
Yes, the MX-1 is great. It's fast lens is wonderful for all occasions. Three years with it and still going on.

In fact, MX-1 is what made me chose Pentax as my new DSLR (Had Nikons before)
02-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The X100T is a very fine camera, AFAIK. Depending on the raw conversion preferred, from what I have heard the sensor doesn't always live up to its high potential.

My light walk around kit with the K-3 (or the K-01 when wanting to go lighter) is the smc 21mm, and the miniscule 40mm xs in a shirt pocket (or pants). So, that's the thing. Some walkaround situations call for a particular FoV, and others call for another. Sometimes you might really need more than one. The lenses can be kept forever, more or less, but the cameras can be upgraded. Emotionally, a lot going for the Fuji, but from a practical standpoint - well that's the key trade off.