Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-S2 - assembled in Vietnam. Is it new factory of Ricoh?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Mint Pentax K S2 20 1MP Digital SLR Camera Body w Box | eBay

Is there any information about new factory?

---------- Post added 04-30-2016 at 08:24 AM ----------

But there are Philippines made cameras

Last edited by ogl; 04-30-2016 at 08:25 AM.
04-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Oooo...lower serial number too!!!

Steve
04-30-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

TBH I'd guess that was a typo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
TBH
It's sticker and another serial number variation. Wrong sticker could be real, maybe...But it's mass made sticker. I don't believe in such mistake.
It has specified dimension to paste up. And it's not be used for another camera or lens.

Last edited by ogl; 04-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
04-30-2016, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just speculating, but the K-1 is being assembled in the Philippines so perhaps they just shifted some of the other production to Vietnam. They have been making lenses Vietnam for a quite a long time so adding camera assembly might not be that big a step.
04-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KS2 manufactured

My KS2 purchased from Costco was manufactured in the Philippines.

Hank
04-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's sticker and another serial number variation. Wrong sticker could be real, maybe...But it's mass made sticker. I don't believe in such mistake.
It has specified dimension to paste up. And it's not be used for another camera or lens.
If that's your camera, the best thing to do would be to contact Ricoh in Japan and ask whether or not the "Assembled in Vietnam" sticker was printed in error for that particular serial number. If Ricoh had opened another camera factory I'm sure they would have said so in a press release

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-S2 says assembled in the Philippines, but that does not mean the parts are made there. Same with US auto manufacturers, the cars are assembled in the US, but the parts are world made with maybe most actually made in the US. Some years ago Honda use to manufacture their GL1800 motorcycles in the US, before moving the plant back to Japan. When made in the US, Goldwing riders could brag to Harley Davidson riders that Honda had more parts actually manufactured in the US than HD. Of course that has changed now.
04-30-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If that's your camera, the best thing to do would be to contact Ricoh in Japan and ask whether or not the "Assembled in Vietnam" sticker was printed in error for that particular serial number. If Ricoh had opened another camera factory I'm sure they would have said so in a press release
Had you ever seen press-releases about Ricoh or Pentax new factories? As for me - never.
We know that Hoya had closed Japan factory of Pentax and moved production lines to Philippines and Vietnam.
But Ricoh also has factory (factories?) in China.

Ricoh doesn't have to inform all users about production capabilities or any production changes.

I saw film lenses of Pentax made in Taiwan and Spain. What does it mean? Pentax could order the assembling from another companies.

I don't believe in global mistake with wrong special stickers for K-S2.

---------- Post added 04-30-2016 at 10:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
My K-S2 says assembled in the Philippines, but that does not mean the parts are made there. Same with US auto manufacturers, the cars are assembled in the US, but the parts are world made with maybe most actually made in the US. Some years ago Honda use to manufacture their GL1800 motorcycles in the US, before moving the plant back to Japan. When made in the US, Goldwing riders could brag to Harley Davidson riders that Honda had more parts actually manufactured in the US than HD. Of course that has changed now.
If K-1's demand is high, Ricoh could organize assembling of K-S2 in Vietnam to vacate production line in Philippines for new camera.

---------- Post added 04-30-2016 at 10:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Just speculating, but the K-1 is being assembled in the Philippines so perhaps they just shifted some of the other production to Vietnam. They have been making lenses Vietnam for a quite a long time so adding camera assembly might not be that big a step.
Smart idea!
04-30-2016, 11:23 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I saw film lenses of Pentax made in Taiwan and Spain. What does it mean? Pentax could order the assembling from another companies.
Could also mean assembly by alien intelligence living in Spain. Leitax kits are made in Spain.

Steve
05-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My the only lens made in China is Pentax DA 18-270 so is it made in Pentax or Tamron factory?
It has SMC coating and SDM AF.
The FA 100-300 was made in Taiwan (kindof China) but the rubber original hood is made in Japan

Last edited by i_trax; 05-01-2016 at 12:07 AM.
05-01-2016, 04:32 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I zoomed the camera image and it says assembled in Philippines.

---------- Post added 05-01-16 at 08:06 PM ----------

Sorry, it's the second body below that says assembled in Philippines.
05-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mine say assembled in PhilippInes. Serial number 614XXXX.
05-11-2016, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #14

Pentax has a factory in Sai Dong Industrial Park, Ha Noi City, Vietnam which has been assembling lens for many years. Now they start to assembly the pentax KS2