Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #1

White specks in the lens. Should I be concerned?

Hi

I got a used 55-300wr recently. Upon close inspection, I found white specks in the lens. I am wondering if it's normal or could be something harmful like mold or fungus. I'm new to photography so hopefully you can educate me. I've attached a picture.

Thanks in advance
Najib

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s Plus  Photo 

Last edited by nabwong; 05-04-2016 at 09:58 AM.
05-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you mean around the edges that is just the unpolished edges of the optical elements. Nothing to worry about. In some lenses you will also see a similar effect from the glue used to bond things together. As long as it is outside the optical path it is normal.

And on most lenses it is common to get a few dust specs inside over time. Almost all of my film era lenses have some dust spots, it does not cause any issue with the images.
05-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is just the finishing of the metal/plastic inside. Enjoy the lens!
05-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I suppose I'll find out when real mold happens.

05-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
I suppose I'll find out when real mold happens.
I've never had to contend with mold myself, but have seen pictures of it. If you're curious do a search on lens mold and you'll find some threads with photos of what it looks like. Then you'll know what to look for.
05-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
Thanks guys! I suppose I'll find out when real mold happens.
Keep you gear dry and if it does get wet dry it out ASAP and you won't have to worry about mold. Most lenses I've seen with mold were either stored in a damp basement or got wet and were put away in the bag that way.
05-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I really enjoy shooting with Pentax gear. I've never encountered mold myself so this is all new to me. Hopefully I'll never encounter it. Cheers.