Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #1

Will my Pentax-F K mount lens work on the Pentax K-S1 camera?

I have my trusty Pentax ZX-10 camera I love and use all the time. But we will be traveling this summer and fall and want to get a digital camera to share pictures with my family and friends from these travels. Will my Pentax-F K mount lens work well with the Pentax K-S1 camera? My son got me one for Mother's Day

05-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax forums Yes, your F lenses will work perfectly well.

05-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean like these ones: You bet they work! Some are better than others of course but the Pentax-F series works just the same as a modern lens, even gets identified in the EXIF.

05-06-2016, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marianne Quote
Will my Pentax-F K mount lens work well with the Pentax K-S1 camera?
Part of the appeal of Pentax is that any lens ever made in K mount (for Pentax cameras) by anyone (Pentax or 3rd party)...anything made since 1975 will work directly on your camera provided the lens is in good working order.

You can use lenses from before 1975 too but you will need an adapter.

There might be some exceptions to the above rule, but those are just that... exceptions...

05-06-2016, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome!!

Yep, they'll work. The only thing to bear in mind is that because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film, the field of view you will get is adjusted by a factor of 1.5X, so a 50mm lens on the KS-1 will give you the same picture a 75mm lens would on film, when taken at the same distance from the subject.

On the other hand, if you back up with the KS-1 to maintain the same composition at a given focal length, that increases your depth of field a little (probably not that important for casual shots, and arguably an advantage for holiday snaps).

In the end, it's pretty much academic - you look through the viewfinder, compose the picture, and as it's an SLR, what you see is essentially what you get. But you might find yourself reaching for a substantially wider lens when indoors than you did before.

I would practice - if not by taking pictures, then at least by looking through the viewfinders of both cameras with the same lens when standing in the same place - to see how that works out for you and get used to it before you go away. Which lens do you have?

(It's worth bearing in mind that if you buy more lenses for the KS-1, the ZX-10 will operate them - though the image they cast might not cover the full image circle in many cases and you will end up with dark corners or a tunnel/porthole effect at some focal lengths. But depending on the circumstances, it may be better than no picture at all.)
05-07-2016, 04:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome everyone and the suggestions. I'm so excited it will work with my lenses! I have the 50mm lens and the 100-300mm lens. Can't wait to play with them.
05-07-2016, 04:19 AM   #7
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Welcome to the clubhouse Marianne. Always nice when fellow Pentaxians drop in!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marianne Quote
I'm so excited it will work with my lenses! I have the 50mm lens and the 100-300mm lens.

That's a nice start. LBA will take over soon.

So which 50 do you have?

05-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Did it come with a standard zoom lens like a DA 18-55mm? If it didn't, you will probably find the 50mm and 100-300mm too long on the APS-C K-S1. I would suggest hunting down a used lens depending on your budget: The 18-55 AL II or DA L can be found for about 50 dollars, the 16-45mm (a big step up from the 18-55) for 150-200 dollars and the 18-135mm (good quality, long range) for 250. If you want a lens that will give you the same field of view that the 50mm gives on the ZX-10, get the DA 35mm 2.4 for 123 dollars new right now or about 90-110 used. It's a great lens, I have it and love it, very similar look picture-wise to my F 50mm 1.7.