Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-x shuts down in AF mode

My K-x will shut down if I put it into AF mode and hit the shutter button. At first it focused all the way IN to macro, then shut down. now it wont even move. I have turned the focus drive by hand in the lens and it is very easy, no binding. I have also manually focused the lens in AF mode and heard the AF gears turning in the camera so that mechanism is no jammed although that has some understandable drag on it. It will power back up if I manually turn it off and on again but will shut down every time. I can also make it shut down if I hit the AF button

06-28-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
I have also manually focused the lens in AF mode and heard the AF gears turning in the camera
No info on what lens you are using, but unless it has quick shift, this is damaging the AF motor
06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What happens if you put the camera in manual focus?

Manually turning the lens focus while connected to the camera (unless it is a quick shift lens) is generally considered to be a bad idea.

Almost sounds like a battery or power issue. Camera powers on but dies when trying to turn the AF motor. Just speculating on this though. You might try cleaning the contacts on both camera and lens and using a different set of batteries just to see what happens.
06-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried with a different set/type of batteries, and with a different lens?

If the problem persists the camera mount or internals could be damaged.

QuoteOriginally posted by pishta Quote
I have also manually focused the lens in AF mode and heard the AF gears turning in the camera so that mechanism is no jammed although that has some understandable drag on it.
This has the potential to damage the camera and lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: