Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2016, 07:51 AM   #1
Forum Member

Apsc, full frame, and medium format differences?

Hello everyone

With recent topics coming up, and difficulty in me finding in one place pictures of the three formats of the same subject, on the same day, comparing different aspects of each formats. Id thought i would do my own tests and research on the matter, and was wondering if anyone would like me to post it on here?

I still have some time before i will do this ( September to be exact, saying I wont get off my ship till then) anyways... I still haven't decided on the location or time of day/night, but i know the initial items i want to do...

What would each of the formats look like with an equivalent lens 645z with the dfa 55mm, the k-1 with the fa 43 mm lens, and the k-3 with a 28mm lens.

The second set i would like to check out, what each format would show with a 55mm lens, or with a 135mm lens. Id keep the bottom and one of the sides the same.

Lastly the k-1 with pixelshift vs the 645z

If anyone would like me to post the results or if there is anything else that they would like me to add in the comparison, let me know. Still have some time before i do this, but should be interesting.

07-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be very interested to see the results! I imagine a lot of people here on PF would be.
07-09-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Cameras - Page 2 | PentaxForums.com Reviews
For a start, the pentaxforums 645z review does a lot 645 vs k3 comparisons.
07-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd be very interested in such a comparison. In addition to the different lenses, it would be interesting to see how they perform in different lighting conditions.

07-09-2016, 04:22 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
night cityscape-photography would be something i would love to see, handling of highlights, detail retention, graduation form dark to lit areas etc..

also subject isolation on a portrait kind of shoot would be nice to see: is medium format able to achieve full body shots with very sudden change from in focus to out of focus areas? such as a model on a street where everything just behind her would melt into OOF creaminess?
07-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I'd be very interested in such a comparison. In addition to the different lenses, it would be interesting to see how they perform in different lighting conditions.

What type of lighting conditions would you like to see?

---------- Post added 07-10-16 at 03:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by quh86 Quote
night cityscape-photography would be something i would love to see, handling of highlights, detail retention, graduation form dark to lit areas etc..

also subject isolation on a portrait kind of shoot would be nice to see: is medium format able to achieve full body shots with very sudden change from in focus to out of focus areas? such as a model on a street where everything just behind her would melt into OOF creaminess?

Ill definitely add some night time shots of a city scape to the list.

Ive never done modeling pictures before so ill try my best at that one.

---------- Post added 07-10-16 at 03:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Pentax Cameras - Page 2 | PentaxForums.com Reviews

For a start, the pentaxforums 645z review does a lot 645 vs k3 comparisons.

There was a great amount of information in there. So out of curiosity after reading the review, is a 28mm or a 31 mm lens for the apsc closer to the 55mm lens on the z?