Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

New K-3 ii LV failure on a new K-3 ii ?

Hi. Today morning I was waiting for a sunrise to shoot some photos and something unpleasant happened to my camera. I rarely used LV with my 3 weeks old K-3 ii, but I did most of the shooting with LV today, and after about 20th shot the LV display just froze. I turned the camera off, to reset the camera, but the froze display didn't turn off. After a few try, I finally took the battery out and the screen shut off. Is this something I should ask for a replacement from Amazon? I only shot about 900 photos and this kind of early malfunctioning just kinda freaks me out. I still have 1 week till replacement due date. Any advise?

Last edited by talkskiwon; 07-25-2016 at 08:23 AM.
07-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not if it is not consistently happening. ALso there may be a FW upgrade that oyu may need if it is not upto date already.
07-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

My advice would be twofold: 1) look around here and DPR to see if anyone else is getting the same problem; 2) try to recreate the fault as closely as possible at least 10 times and see what happens - if you can repeat the error then yes, send it back for a replacement.

I should also say, if you are really worried, then there's nothing lost in getting a replacement from Amazon except a few days without the camera. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to pay shipping.

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
ALso there may be a FW upgrade that oyu may need if it is not upto date already.
My understanding is that there are no firmware updates for the K-3ii yet.
07-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are no firmware updates tor the K-3II at present.

07-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do have the K3-II; never happened to me; use LV regularly.
07-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a relatively normal occurrence as long as it doesn't happen often. Freezes are often related to low battery voltage, so if you battery is running low and you're using a lot of power (i.e. live view + a lot of AF, or AF-C plus burst mode), freezes may be more likely.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is a relatively normal occurrence as long as it doesn't happen often. Freezes are often related to low battery voltage, so if you battery is running low and you're using a lot of power (i.e. live view + a lot of AF, or AF-C plus burst mode), freezes may be more likely.
I had two thirds of the battery life when it happened and the battery was Pentax original version. Asked for the replacement and they say wait for confirmation.

07-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mnaah Quote
My advice would be twofold: 1) look around here and DPR to see if anyone else is getting the same problem; 2) try to recreate the fault as closely as possible at least 10 times and see what happens - if you can repeat the error then yes, send it back for a replacement.

I should also say, if you are really worried, then there's nothing lost in getting a replacement from Amazon except a few days without the camera. I'm pretty sure you don't even need to pay shipping.

My understanding is that there are no firmware updates for the K-3ii yet.
I tried to find about the exact same screen malfunctioning, but there was no such problem listed on forums. The camera actually worked fine for about 30 shots after the incident, but I didn't want to take a chance, so asked for a replacement and it just went through. Thanks for the advices.