Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Pentax K-70 at DPREVIEW....soft images??

Guys...I'm seriously looking at the K-70, but the studio tool at DPREVIEW shows very soft images at all ISOs and any part of the frame....images are just too soft. Any idea why is it happening? I asked them for an explanation, but response so far. Thanks.

08-29-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think they've had issues finding a lens to test with. They try to find something that is, or is close to, 85 mm in each system, and as good as possible optically. They used a 77 mm Ltd. once, but that was decentred.
08-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seriously, if everyone relies on DPreview report before buying into a Pentax camera, then I doubt that there will be any hopes for Pentax camera sales at all in North America.
08-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Are you looking at JPEGs? Then, I'd say, it's a matter of applying very little sharpening (while the Canon has sharpening in excess).
Compare the RAWs, and the softness is gone. Alternatively, one could try to tweak the JPEG parameters a little.

08-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I would bet on it being the lens and not the camera. Unless the shutter system pentax uses creates vibration that shows up in the pictures.
08-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Seriously, if everyone relies on DPreview report before buying into a Pentax camera, then I doubt that there will be any hopes for Pentax camera sales at all in North America.
People on here love to bash DPR and shout bias, but they keep ignoring the fact that most Pentax DSLRs (especially the K5 and K3 line) got glowing reviews from them, complete with a Gold Award.
08-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
People on here love to bash DPR and shout bias, but they keep ignoring the fact that most Pentax DSLRs (especially the K5 and K3 line) got glowing reviews from them, complete with a Gold Award.
That was meant to be sarcastic.... if I want to get the k-70, I don't wait to read DPR before making that decision. Although I do hear a lot of people use that site as a "must read" before buying into Canikon.

08-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vsbastosx Quote
Guys...I'm seriously looking at the K-70, but the studio tool at DPREVIEW shows very soft images at all ISOs and any part of the frame....images are just too soft. Any idea why is it happening? I asked them for an explanation, but response so far. Thanks.
Thank you guys for posting your opinions about this. Personally, I like DPREVIEW, even though I think Gordon Laing makes the best reviews on the net, but sadly he doesn't get samples from Pentax to review them. The K-3 is not as soft as the K-70 on their studio comparison tool. Anyway, the K-70 is going to be my first Pentax....this pixel shift is really neat. Regards.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 08-29-2016 at 05:47 PM.
09-11-2016, 05:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vsbastosx Quote
Thank you guys for posting your opinions about this. Personally, I like DPREVIEW, even though I think Gordon Laing makes the best reviews on the net, but sadly he doesn't get samples from Pentax to review them. The K-3 is not as soft as the K-70 on their studio comparison tool. Anyway, the K-70 is going to be my first Pentax....this pixel shift is really neat. Regards.
You'll get sharpnes from the lens and technique. All camera body are actuall sharp enough theses days.
09-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #10

I find all DPReview samples lose something in transmission to not to show marked differences and that is over a variety of devices. Didn't stop me from getting a K-70.