Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adapters for vintage lenses

I’m interested in what kinds of adapters and lenses have people been using successfully on their Pentax DSLRs. I’ve got a K-5 and am only starting to look into the options.

The M42 mount is the obvious starter adapter. Cheap and easy. Plenty of lenses.

The I came across a M39 to M42 adapter, and found a bunch of old Soviet lenses for $10-$50 each, and immediately started thinking…. what else is available?

Canon seems to be a no-no, though some Nikon lenses apparently can be used… but I couldn’t find a single catchall thread here on the topic, and figured I’ll get it rolling.

What lenses are you using, and how did you do it?

09-28-2016, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On pentax, it's M42, bit's 'n bobs of jiggery pokery with nikon F and perhaps OM or CY (tho' the latter 2 will require a little destructive modding, or replacing, of the bayonets) - and that's it!

If you really want to play around with the range of vintage lenses, get a mirrorless eg Nex/Alpha, Lumix, Olympus, samsung...

FYI:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Cameras can (in principle) mount lenses from a system with a longer registration distance and keep infinity focus. That's why canon is the most adaptable dslr - see >adapters mounts and tubes on ebay. All those mirrorless have short RD and so there are simple adapters for most mounts.
Adapters that overcome the registration distance issue by including optical elements are a lot more expensive and generally not recommended.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 09-28-2016 at 08:19 AM.
09-28-2016, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's always this option also:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/247977-manual-fo...ntax-dslr.html
09-28-2016, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
But it makes your camera less than WR. Sadly he discontinued the non-WR version. I wanted to get one for a K-x...

There is a lot of Russian medium format gear out there for not a lot of money. The adapters are cheap too.

Last edited by boriscleto; 09-28-2016 at 07:29 AM.
09-28-2016, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
Fotodiox makes a large number of adapters that do not require modifying camera and thus destroying your warranty.

I use a Fotodiox adapter for Olympus OM lenses and I'm very pleased to use the vintage glass that I'd collected for my old Olympus OM-1 I used for astrophotography (had mechanical shutter so I could do any length of bulb exposures and not worry about the battery wearing out). Lens Mount Adapters

Look at all the lens choices that open up!

Vintage glass FTW!
09-28-2016, 07:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
Damn, that was quick! And a lot of chew on already. Does sound like starting off with M42 to K-Mount, then M39 to M42 and possibly a Nikon F to K-Mount are the easily available adapters, the PK+MM is a slightly bigger investment -- but sounds fantastic! And beyond that it's DIY.

Found this link for some Nikon F lenses that may mount directly: Using Nikon F Lenses On Pentax K Bodies (LBA Post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-28-2016, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have several AdaptAll lenses.
Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
These were built thirty years ago under the idea that one lens could be used on various different systems by simply changing the backend, which contains just the mount.
"Adapters" {which is technically what the backend is called} are available for both PK- and PKA- mount, although the PKA- ones are more expensive and fairly rare.

09-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SeaRefractor Quote
...I used for astrophotography (had mechanical shutter so I could do any length of bulb exposures and not worry about the battery wearing out). Lens Mount Adapters
Outstanding -- I didn't realize Fotodiox had so many options. Did an amazon search and only found the Nikon F option. Thanks!

Just last night spent some time working the astrotracer with a vintage lens, but clouds took over and M42 (nebula, not mount) remains a dream. I'll catch it yet.
09-28-2016, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philo Quote
Outstanding -- I didn't realize Fotodiox had so many options. Did an amazon search and only found the Nikon F option. Thanks!

Just last night spent some time working the astrotracer with a vintage lens, but clouds took over and M42 (nebula, not mount) remains a dream. I'll catch it yet.
Just keep in mind that most adapters will have an optical element to correct for the difference in focal flange distance. They are basically a short tele-converter.

Olympus OM, Nikon F, Canon FD, Minolta MD, Konica AR, all have corrected adapters. Olympus, Nikon, and even Contax/Yashica can be mounted directly with some modifications (Old Pre-AI Nikon can be force fit without modification).

If the focal flange distance is long enough (like most medium format) you just need a simple non-corrected adapter. Your biggest problem is usually a lack of aperture ring on some mounts.
09-28-2016, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philo Quote
The M42 mount is the obvious starter adapter. Cheap and easy.
I strongly recommend you get the Pentax brand M42-PK adapter. It's not cheap compared to the Chinese versions, but much better made and without causing focusing issues. Also, I have a Vivitar 400mm lens that has an interchangeable TX mount. Same idea as Tamron adaptall - one lens that takes adapters for different camera mounts. My Vivitar came with a TX-M42 adapter when I bought it back in the day. I have since bought a TX-PK adapter from e-bay. Many Vivitar vintage lenses are highly regarded/rated. Some were M42 only and some were TX.

Vivitar Lenses for Pentax: Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Vivitar Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
09-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks! Yeah, I figured that’s the way to go, certainly long term if you’re planning to ‘focus’ on vintage M42 lenses. And I’ve been scoping out Vivitar and some Sears models, specifically, which got me looking.

And thanks, Boris, for the background specs — that clarifies what was somewhat muddy (fungus or dust) in my head.
09-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found one of my two Pentax M42-PK adapters in a camera store's used junk box. It looked new, was in original packaging, and was 5 bucks. The store sold almost exclusively Canon and Nikon stuff, and obviously they thought they'd really have to mark the adapter way down to ever get rid of it.
09-28-2016, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
I’m all for it — hope they’ll do the same with some lenses too! Been rooting through junk shops and yard sales ever since I got mine. I love a bargain, and sometimes a steal, too, depending on who I’m buying from. There’s something very appealing about using one man’s junk … well, that came out wrong… but you know what I mean.
09-28-2016, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old Contax Zeiss lenses that were discontinued in 2005, are a relative bargain. $200 to $300 for a Contax C/Y lens (in the mm mount variant) updated with a Leitax.com K mount kit (~$100) gives you a Zeiss lens that is currently unobtainable new - and if it was it would go for $1200+

They have adapters for the Leica R mount as well.
09-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
While those may be (currently) out of my budget, that’s fantastic information to add to the thread.

If they could give Hubble new specs, is there anything that can’t be added to your Pentax one day?