Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Color temperature setting

I've always wondered what's the effect of shifting from S, F and EX on the color temperature settings as shown in the picture below (highlighted with a red circle). I tried tweaking with it and there seem to have no effect on the images I took. Can anyone help? Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-30-2016, 03:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello, I think they're not colour temperature related, I think they're different forms of sharpness. I don't have my camera with me but if I remember sharpness, fine sharpness and extra sharpness? As you toggle that then I think also the bottom of the 5 scales on the left also changes (to reflect your new choice of sharpening). Then to change the actual amount you change it on the left one. All going off memory so if someone with a camera could confirm that'd be great, thx
09-30-2016, 03:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Nass but what's the best settings. There's no definite description on the manual.
09-30-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Thanks Nass but what's the best settings. There's no definite description on the manual.
Shoot a photo in raw, open it in the Pentax desktop software, and tweak the settings until the photo is to your liking. Then, for future shots, you can copy those settings over to the camera.

I've found that even with settings tweaks, out of camera JPEGs lack a good amount of detail compared to raw files processed by other converters. Minimally, you want to keep the sharpness low in camera and then sharpen in post only if needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2016, 04:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Adam. I'll try that tomorrow