Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #1

Looking to upgrade from the K-r

Hello, knowledgeable friends!

I've had a K-r since 2011, and it's showing it's age...in the sense that the iPhone 7 has the same megapixels (which I know isn't everything) and I think it's only 6 fps shutter speed. It's not bad, but I'm itching for an upgrade...

The trouble is, I have no idea what to pursue! Photography is 100% a hobby, so I can't justify spending thousands on equipment. My general thought at the moment is to get a new-er used body...but what do I get? I'd love to stay in the $300ish price range, and a couple of years old is fine by me, it'll still be an upgrade for me!

I shoot mostly landscapes and horses: however, horses move fast so frames-per-second is something I look at.

Any suggestions?

10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

For that kind of money, you could get a low-shutter-count, well-looked-after K5II (I see them going for $300-$350, and there's always a little wiggle room ). There's at least one I can think of in the Marketplace right now, I think it's $350 but has a crazy low shutter count - less than 1000 shots, if I remember correctly - and has obviously been extremely well cared for.

The K5II is a flagship-quality body, so a good example should last you a long, long time - and the image quality from all of the K-5 cameras is superb. The only sticking point is AF tracking performance, which isn't as good as some other brands' comparable models... but it works pretty well.

You might find a quite-heavily-used K-3 for that kind of money, too... But I'd rather go for a lightly used camera, personally
10-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Look for a used KS2 if you can find it, otherwise a used K5.
10-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30, K-50 - consumer grade 16mp, 6 frames / sec, weather sealed. Remote flash control via on board flash.
K-S2 - consumer grade, 20mp, 5.4 frames / sec weather sealed. No remote flash control via on board flash.
K-S1 - as above without weather sealing.

See this comparison: Pentax K-30 vs. Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

The K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis series is also great.

10-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from a K-r to a used K-5 and am quite happy. The K-5 feels more premium than the K-r, as it should. And the K5 shutter sound is less noticeable.
For your budget you could probably look for a K-5iis.
10-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by czhao1009 Quote
I upgraded from a K-r to a used K-5 and am quite happy. The K-5 feels more premium than the K-r, as it should. And the K5 shutter sound is less noticeable.
For your budget you could probably look for a K-5iis.

I went from the K-r to the K5IIs and it is a good upgrade. But I bought the K-r as I was tired of larger cameras having used Nikons, D1X. D2H, D2X and D200. And I had to get the K5iis as my wife got the K5 .

OP, I would look at the K5II/IIs or K3 as you do not sound like a person who upgrades often and might as well go with a better built camera for that period of time, unless you prefer a smaller body like your K-r.
10-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from K100D Super to K-50 to K-3. The K-50 was quite a nice camera but the K-3 is even more so. However a used K-3 is likely a bit out of the projected price range.

10-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would stretch the budget a little bit and get the K3 as it has a great buffer and more fps along with better image quality - the things you mentioned as important in your original post. Well you didn't mention the buffer but if you actually use the FPS, you will be glad to have a large buffer
I think it would be an improvement in all areas that would justify the upgrade. The K-r is no slouch so a smaller upgrade might not feel as significant, honestly.
10-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you really want to see an increase in image quality, go for the K-70. I know it's a bit more expensive, but it's a nice modern camera that's an upgrade in just about every way over the K-r, and in some ways better than the aging K-3. Plus, you get wi-fi, which is nice to have.

Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

If that's too much, go for the K-S2 (essentially the same but with 20 megapixels and missing a few features) or K-3 used (outgoing flagship, but very durable and higher FPS).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I'll weigh all of my options and maybe put "money for a new camera" on my Christmas list...I do love the small size of the K-r, when combined with my 18-55 kit lens (which I like way more than I thought I would) it fits perfectly in my saddle pack on my mountain trail rides. There's no reason I can't still do that as the K-r works, I'm mostly looking for an upgrade in frames-per-second and image quality.

Follow-up question: do I need to worry about lens compatibility? I have 3 lenses I use heavily, the 18-55 kit lens that came with the K-r, a DA 55-300 that I picked up for a steal at an open box show, and an ollllllld 28-200 (72mm diameter) lens from the film days that's just barely new enough to be fully compatible (AF and all!) witht he K-r.
10-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want better than 6 fps you're going to have to step up to the K-3, which will be more than $300. For $300, a 2nd hand K-5 or K-50 is realistic, either of which should outperform the older K-r.

Edit: K-5 will give you a little better (7) frame rate than the K-r. Lens compatibility is not an issue. Your lenses will work with any Pentax body.
10-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
If you want better than 6 fps you're going to have to step up to the K-3, which will be more than $300. For $300, a 2nd hand K-5 or K-50 is realistic, either of which should outperform the older K-r.

Edit: K-5 will give you a little better (7) frame rate than the K-r. Lens compatibility is not an issue. Your lenses will work with any Pentax body.
You know I somehow missed that - I don't recall the specs on the K-r that well and read it as 6mp not fps. DOH! Obvious now.

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 04:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aerlind Quote
I think it's only 6 fps shutter speed. It's not bad, but I'm itching for an upgrade...
So I missed this the first time around. The K-30/K-50 is also 6fps. The new K-70 as well. To get faster the only options in Pentax are:

K-5, K-5ii, K-5iis; 7fps
K-3, K-3ii; 8.3fps

This article at least shows that the base K-3 seems to come in just above 7fps with the stock battery: Pentax K-3 Review - Performance

I recall reading that the grip with Ni-MH AA batteries may be needed to reach the 8.3fps plus a very fast UHS-1 95mbs /s card is needed to clear the buffer as quickly as possible or the bursts will be short lived.
10-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
Sigh, now I want a K-3! There's a few on Amazon for just over $500...that's still not too bad.

What's considered a "good" shutter count for a used camera? I couldn't figure out what mine is with my K-r because I can't be bothered to dig it out at the moment, but I have 15,000+ photos in Lightroom alone, and I started using that more than a year after I got my K-r.