Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Possible K10D AF failure - suggestions?

After a wonderful day shooting with a coworker, I turned my K10D on and found that my DA*16-50 started using the screw drive to focus. Turning the camera body off and on didnt remedy the situation. I found the same results using the DA*50-135. After testing the lenses on my coworkers K200D (the SDM engaged without a problem) I pulled the batteries out of the grip, detatched the grip, and pulled the battery out of the body, and let it sit for 6 hours. I carefully cleaned the contacts both on the body and on the lenses with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol and still found both lenses were still using the screwdrive to focus.

I suspect that the AF is dying out on me. I notice that the camera doesnt immediately remember the AF point that I have it set on inbetween shots (ie - I can set a point other than the center AF point. After I take a pic, or let 10 sec lapse so that the information in the finder goes dim, or the lcd panel goes dim, I can hit the AF button to "wake up" the camera and it goes back to the center point - tries to focus - then suddenly remembers what point I originally had it set at and goes back to try to focus there.) Does anyone else have any suggestions to try before I box up my body again to send to Pentax for another major repair?

Its gotten a little frustrating to me. I started on a full digital setup with a K10D w/grip in 9/07 and since then have purchased a DA* 16-50mm DA* 50-135mm, FA 50mm and a FGZ540 flash. In less than 2 years, Ive had the grip in for service, the K10D had its primary circuit board replaced, and the 16-50 replaced for decentered elements. Now this. Ive seen ads for the K-7 having a 3 year warranty...is this because its built like a tank so Pentax is confident it will go 3 years, or because its like my other digital Pentax experiences, and its going to need a warranty that long just to keep customers...

/end rant

06-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try reinstalling your firmware to v 1.30. SDM was not available before that update.