Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #3391

Guess its my turn to join the mega thread...

never did get to the end until today and have time to post.

I for one is very happy with the specs... the sync speed should be at 1/250 but if its at 1/180 it is not the end of the world... I suspect even if it is released at 1/180 there will be a firmware upgrade to enable 1/250. The shutter already upgraded will be capable of it.

I'll be upgrading from K10D at some stage... should be a fantastic camera.

Originally my travel plans would of put me in Toyko for th launch.. was really looking forward to it but not anymore... oh well.

Cheers
Shang

05-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #3392
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
No.

NO.

C'mon, I'm a perfectly happy K20D user -- not planning to upgrade for quite a while -- and I'm EXCITED about the new features. The size. The construction. The FPS. The video (okay, I'm not *that* excited about video, but anyway). The better live view. The higher-res screen.

I don't want to hear any of that I-told-you-so pity-party nonsense. Call the whaaaaambulance!

Even if half of the rumors are true, or even less than half, this will be a pretty nifty package.

So it won't be God's Own DSLR. Who cares? It will be cool anyway, and a sure sign that Pentax continues to move forward, despite the near-constant rumors of its demise.
Great post! I agree...I'm not set to upgrade yet but I would like to get one down the line. Some of the new specs are exciting for me and I'm convinced Pentax will do it right.

Keep the speculation reasonable...don't believe the internet...and remember that Pentax hasn't really put out a "dud" of a DSLR
05-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #3393
Veteran Member

Actually, someone should start an official K-7 complaint thread, then all complaining about the K-7 should be limited to that thread. Perhaps the person who starts could update/edit their original post with all the currently listed complaints so that people don't have to repost their complaints. Maybe Pentax would even notice it then.
05-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #3394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Actually, someone should start an official K-7 complaint thread, then all complaining about the K-7 should be limited to that thread. Perhaps the person who starts could update/edit their original post with all the currently listed complaints so that people don't have to repost their complaints. Maybe Pentax would even notice it then.
There's the DEAR PENTAX thread that's pretty much people grumbling

05-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #3395
Veteran Member

There should be a "rant" sub forum somewhere in PF requiring a click of an "OK" box or something to enter. It would turn into a flame section but most people with stupid rants (Why no Pentax FF? I'm leaving Pentax. Why should I bother with Pentax? etc) would stay in that section and none of the single-minded ramblings would clutter up the otherwise clean forum.
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #3396
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
The analogy means: you look at one thing, not the whole package. Like buying a car for its 0-60 or 1/4 mile time even though it gets 13MPG in the city. Buying a house cause its cheap even though it's in a bad state of disrepair. Buying tools made in China because you "can replace them over and over if they break for less than the cost of quality tools."

I'd rather have a solid all-around camera than an over- or under-sized camera with a small 4/3 sensor, Sony ergonomics...even if it had a viewfinder of a 5D. My K10 isn't perfect (what is?) but for the price, its features, its performance, ergonomics, etc, it's right in the sweet spot.
That's the thing, every single 'enthusiast" SLR currently in production is a solid all around camera. The technology surpassed my skill level long ago. I personally don't think there is a lemon currently on the market that compares to a 13mpg car. If a K20D/Canon 50D/Nikon D300/ Oly E-30 can't capture your vision then you are doing something wrong.

At this point it's just about perks and wants. Some people want video, others small size, others want to be able to drop their cameras in the ocean; but for me the one feature I want in addition to the solid foundation of the K20D is a HUGE prism on top.
05-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #3397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
The best part: All the complaints will come from people who never laid a hand on one!
Unfortunately, many may never be tempted to take the trouble.

Without an especially compelling new feature, or appreciation for size, they could look at these specs and easily dismiss the K-7 as a really late answer to the D300.

That may not be the case, but that's marketing reality. History is littered with the corpses of companies who made technically better products but didn't sufficiently relate them to the market.

05-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #3398
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Is that a FA77/1.8 limited on that K-7?

Wim
Seems to be a F/1 lens...
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #3399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
That's the thing, every single 'enthusiast" SLR currently in production is a solid all around camera. The technology surpassed my skill level long ago. I personally don't think there is a lemon currently on the market that compares to a 13mpg car. If a K20D/Canon 50D/Nikon D300/ Oly E-30 can't capture your vision then you are doing something wrong.

At this point it's just about perks and wants. Some people want video, others small size, others want to be able to drop their cameras in the ocean; but for me the one feature I want in addition to the solid foundation of the K20D is a HUGE prism on top.
A nice viewfinder is something I enjoy as well for manual focus, so the K10/20 was a natural choice over, say, the K100. Coming from a Canon 300D, that was the first thing I noticed when holding a K10...it's like I sprouted a 3rd eye or something

If you think the K20 is a strong camera (as I do) then I don't think the K-7 will disappoint...
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Unfortunately, many may never be tempted to take the trouble.

Without an especially compelling new feature, or appreciation for size, they could look at these specs and easily dismiss the K-7 as a really late answer to the D300.

That may not be the case, but that's marketing reality. History is littered with the corpses of companies who made technically better products but didn't sufficiently relate them to the market.
More features in a better package..."bursting" with goodness...pro-level specs in a body you can carry every day...something like that should be Pentax's stand on the K-7...
05-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #3400
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chanpei Quote

From a Hongkong pentax forum. The words below are,

New PRIME II image engine
almost 100% view finder coverage. Pentaprism type
14.6M effective pixels CMOS sensor
3 inches with 920,000 pixels LCD with live view, HD video and HDMI output
Build-in SR image stabilization, Mag-alloy body with water and dust proof, supersonic duct removal system

That's all.
QuoteOriginally posted by keltia666 Quote
I'm wondering too.
Seems to me a f/1 lens...
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #3401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eziodoc Quote
Seems to me a f/1 lens...
No, itīs the 77 Limited in Black
05-18-2009, 03:44 PM   #3402
Veteran Member

by the way , is limited 77mm any better than 70mm?
05-18-2009, 03:51 PM   #3403
Veteran Member

K-7 photos

This thread started out about "is this pic of ..."

Now, that more and more K-7 photos are being released, this thread should actually show them.

Part I:
Photos I steal from RiceHigh's blog site (RiceHigh, please forgive):

[source: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: The Pentax K-7 is Here! Finally!]
These are the photos from the press kit many have been wondering about.
05-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #3404
Veteran Member

K-7 photos

This thread started out about "is this pic of ..."

Now, that more and more K-7 photos are being released, this thread should actually show them.

Part II:
These are photos shown exclusively on THE THREAD at pentaxforums.com. They are from a friendly fellow photographer and aren't mine.

Enjoy

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.
05-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #3405
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
by the way , is limited 77mm any better than 70mm?
The DA 70mm is better because it is cheaper.
No that is not right.
The FA 77mm is better because it is faster.
No that is not right.
The DA 70mm is better because it is smaller.
No that is not right.
The FA 77mm is better because it is 7mm more.
No that is not right.
They are both very good. It has a lot to do with what it impotent to you and this even goes for what is impotent to you about IQ.

DAZ