Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Sears KSX Super

I have been given a Sears KSX Super a couple of weeks ago haven't got a clue how it ended up in the UK as Sears are a US Retailer. It looks very like a 70s Ricoh SLR. It has a K Mount manual speeds up to 1000th of a second and aperture priority. It is a really nice camera to use and seems well made.
Does anyone know if this was made for Sears by Ricoh, or if not who may have made it for them.

01-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The KSX Super is a rebadged Ricoh (I want to say a KR-10).

Pretty much any Sears lens will be usable on a Pentax with a very few exceptions. The only thing to watch for if you swap Sears lenses from one camera to another is that some Ricoh-made Sears lenses have whats called the "Ricoh Pin" (look it up, there are many threads here on the subject) and if you stick such a lens on a Pentax you're in for a world of frustration as the pin will drop into somewhere it shouldn't on the mount and cause the lens to seize on the Pentax body. Its fixable, but its a pain in the butt to do. Your best route is to do a quick operation on any Sears 'A' lens with the offending pin first off before playing with it on a modern Pentax body.

I *think* the KSX Super was actually a mid-1980's camera, but I could be wrong,
01-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The KSX Super is a rebadged Ricoh (I want to say a KR-10).
Except for the badge, it identical to a Ricoh KR-10 dating to the early 1980s. It is a standard K-mount camera and should be compatible with any K-mount lens ever made that has an aperture ring. I have its big brother (Ricoh XR7) and can vouch for the general build quality. Here is a review of the KSX Super:

http://mattsclassiccameras.com/sears_ksx_super.html

In regards to the "Ricoh Pin"...the risk presents when attempting to mount a Ricoh "P" mount lens to any Pentax autofocus body. This would include most Ricoh-brand lenses made in the late 1980s as well as many third-party brands. The pin (used by Ricoh for programmed auto exposure) drops into the AF drive mechanism and effectively locks the lens to the camera...perhaps permanently. Rule of thumb...if you don't shoot Pentax AF, you have nothing to worry about. If you do shoot Pentax AF, be aware of the potential Ricoh pin hazard. As noted above, there are numerous articles devoted to detecting and dealing with the pin.

Steve
01-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My KR_10 has one con and one pro.
The con is that it had an early gray lcd meter display which is dull ( it was always dull) compared to the LED displays of earlier cameras and almost invisible for metering manual exposures.
(The Ricoh KR-5 and the earlier Pentax MX are much better)

The pro is that it has an accurate shutter timer that goes down to 8 seconds ( I once checked it but forgot the details- maybe it is digital) . So it is a reliable tripod camera in low light with long exposure in auto.
( Better in this than the Ricoh KR-5 and the Pentax MX)