Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Any rumors of pentax MX-1 successor?

Hi, everybody, I am new here.
Just to know if there are any rumors about the successor of Pentax MX-1? It’s about 2 years time since it was launched…

11-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not yet. I think there Is already a thread discussing this somewhere.
11-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the retro-themed ship has sailed. IMO it would be great to see a high-end Pentax compact with a 1" or 4/3 sensor (i.e. smaller than the GR's APS-C sensor), but if it is to be an original design, I think it would require a considerable R&D effort. The MX-1 was essentially just a re-styled Olympus, after all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #4

The MX-1 is still a modern camera. Do the dpreview studio compare with the new Fujifilm X30, and you will see that the MX-1 is equal or superior.

The X30 goes for 600US$, the MX-1 for around 200$. The X30 has a EVF, the only advantage I can see.

It is not always necessary to upgrade if you buy quality.

11-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by RiderX Quote
The MX-1 is still a modern camera. Do the dpreview studio compare with the new Fujifilm X30, and you will see that the MX-1 is equal or superior.
The MX-1 has a really really good lens. It's sharp, even wide open.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-02-2014, 11:48 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my MX-1 almost as much as I like bacon.

12-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #7

The MX-1 is fast becoming like the Fuji F31fd from several years ago. For those who don't know, that little camera was (and to some degree still is) a rare anomaly of modern electronics. Whereas most times things become obsolete fast and older models loose value even faster, smart shooters realized it was an excellent camera with amazing images for a compact 6mp sensor which hit way above it's weight class and rivaled APS-C sensor DSLR's of the day. It developed a cult following and garnered collector status and only recently did manufactures catch back up to it's vaunted low lite performance. A camera that was released in 2006, held its ground against many new models fir nearly 6 years.

I missed that train, stupidly thinking I could save money back then by getting a different 6mp camera. I was not making that same mistake again this time around.

12-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The MX-1 is a nice camera. It uses the same lens and sensor as the Olympus XZ-2. It was probably jointly developed with Olympus in some way, using Pentax firmware and perhaps other Pentax tweaks with of course that retro look.

The Olympus XZ-2 has been recently discontinued, and is out of stock at major online dealers. Olympus should announce a successor. I suspect, totally my surmise, that Pentax will announce a similar product shortly after. How's that for starting a rumor??

This is a brutally competitive market segment. Pentax is keeping an oar in but not leading the pack. The Sony RX100-III and Canon G15/16 seem to have it beat in performance and market share. But I still think Pentax will stay in the market, to keep a full product line and have something for the brand loyal buyers.

Last edited by slowhands95128; 12-15-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: errors
12-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by slowhands95128 Quote
The MX-1 is a nice camera. It uses the same lens and sensor as the Olympus XZ-2. It was probably jointly developed with Olympus in some way, using Pentax firmware and perhaps other Pentax tweaks with of course that retro look.

The Olympus XZ-2 has been recently discontinued, and is out of stock at major online dealers. Olympus announced the XZ-10 to replace it, shipping in January 2015. I suspect, totally my surmise, that Pentax will announce a similar product shortly after. How's that for starting a rumor??
The Olympus XZ-10 is already 2 years old and a consumer p/s camera, not a high-end product. It is far worse than the MX-1.
12-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought my wife an MX-1 for Christmas last year, thinking she "might" like it, but told her if she didn't, she could re-gift it to me. She didn't like it and I didn't either, so it got sold. The lack of an external hotshoe is what did me in. She didn't like the weight/bulk of it. For my money the Canon G12 has been a better choice.
12-16-2014, 12:54 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I bought my wife an MX-1 for Christmas last year, thinking she "might" like it, but told her if she didn't, she could re-gift it to me. She didn't like it and I didn't either, so it got sold. The lack of an external hotshoe is what did me in. She didn't like the weight/bulk of it. For my money the Canon G12 has been a better choice.
It doesn't have a hotshoe and doesn't have a viewfinder. And there is no way around it. If that is important to you, you should search for alternatives.

But the picture quality of the MX-1 is well above the G12. That's what's most important to me. I never missed the hotshoe, but a viewfinder would make it perfect.
01-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My ideal specs. of successor

I wonder if Pentax still keeps this Pentax MX line or not.
But if it does, I hope the successor will be targeted for more high-end customers including features like:

1. a larger sensor with at least 1 inch;
2. sensor with aa simulator (so that the sensor is one without aa filter);
3. a good lens with focal length 24 mm~105mm f/2~2.8;
4. an optical viewfinder with good accuracy.

If there will really be such an successor with reasonable pricing, I am quite confident it will gain market for sure.
01-20-2015, 05:03 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hsiehlk Quote
I wonder if Pentax still keeps this Pentax MX line or not.
But if it does, I hope the successor will be targeted for more high-end customers including features like:

1. a larger sensor with at least 1 inch;
2. sensor with aa simulator (so that the sensor is one without aa filter);
3. a good lens with focal length 24 mm~105mm f/2~2.8;
4. an optical viewfinder with good accuracy.

If there will really be such an successor with reasonable pricing, I am quite confident it will gain market for sure.
The MX-1 was just a rebadged/retro-styled Olympus, really, so I think Pentax Ricoh used it to gauge interest in a high-end compact. I hope there was enough interest in it for warrant a successor, but I do know that here in the US, it failed to sell well until the price was significantly reduced.

Adam

01-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The price on the MX-1 has been trending up lately. WalMart seems to have it for $300 USD and some areas are now asking over $400 for one.
01-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Future of high-end compacts of Pentax/Ricoh

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The MX-1 was just a rebadged/retro-styled Olympus, really, so I think Pentax Ricoh used it to gauge interest in a high-end compact. I hope there was enough interest in it for warrant a successor, but I do know that here in the US, it failed to sell well until the price was significantly reduced.

Oh, sad to hear that it didn't see well in the US. It did sell welll here in HK, so I once though that there will be a successor coming.

Maybe in CP+, there will be more information from the coporation heads of Pentax/Ricoh on the future of high-end compacts like the Pentax MX series and the Ricoh GR series? I hope that there could be a high-end compact zoom coming from Pentax/Ricoh.