Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ricoh GR or K-S2

I am currently getting back into Pentax and Ricoh after using Nikon for a short time. Don't get me wrong; I'm still using a Nikon D800, but would like to find a semi compact or compact to compliment my kit. I know there is not much information out on the S2, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on making the choice.

My primary use is landscape and the odd street photography.

02-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GR is an amazing camera for street photography, but comparing it to the K-S2 is apples and oranges. If you plan to continue using the D800 I'd probably get the GR rather than investing into a new DSLR system, though the K-S2 is promising (it's image quality is good and the new wi-fi and tilting screen are handy features).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would prefer to have interchangeable lens, which you would still have on the Nikon I guess. I really prefer a zoom for streets, and landscapes I use all types of focal lengths, depending on the scene. I know the GR is a good camera, it wouldn't work for me, I think.
02-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
I love the quality and compact design of the GR, but the S2 is still a smaller camera; especially compared to the GR and the weather sealing is huge for me on the BC West Coast. But the portabiliy of the GR is so hard to find with the quality of the images.

02-28-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wilde108 Quote
I love the quality and compact design of the GR, but the S2 is still a smaller camera; especially compared to the GR and the weather sealing is huge for me on the BC West Coast. But the portabiliy of the GR is so hard to find with the quality of the images.
I think you might be wrong there..
GR : 117 x 61 x 35 mm
K-S2: 123 x 91 x 73 mm

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 02-28-2015 at 11:14 PM.
02-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
Oh sorry ... I knew the GR was smaller ... waiting for the review for the S2 before I decide.
03-01-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It's a difficult decision because you're choosing between 2 good cameras. IMO the GR is a better complement to your D800.

The GR is perfect for street photography and good for landscapes. 28mm focal length (in "35mm equivalent" terms) is wide enough for just about any street photography and many landscapes, plus it's plenty sharp to allow cropping. It cannot zoom, but adding that would either increase camera size or decrease image quality. Very wide landscapes require stitching with the GR but you already have your D800 as your primary camera for landscapes.

The GR is not weather sealed. If that's essential, sacrifice compactness and get the K-S2.