Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #1

Audio Recording - K-5

Hi everyone, I'm sorry to bring up a topic that has been debated so much but I am in a unique situation (imo). Basically I need to film a short film on my K-5. I have the Rode Videomic Pro, Rode Pinmic and a boompole. What would be the best way of recording the audio, when most of the film will be very quiet with dialogue between two people throughout?

The scenes will be similar to those at around 1:05 in this trailer for Amour (
). I'm just unsure as to whether or not I should record the audio using something like the Zoom H1 separately or whether or not there is some other solution? Thanks for any help, I'm just a little bit lost and again don't want to waste money.

08-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

sorry, we seem to have neglected you... :-)
imo separate recording would be best. i.e. a zoom or tascam or alike.
And maybe record with your videomic pro as well.

Maybe someone has a better option. Audio is not my thing yet...
08-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you are on budget ... (Is that the right word for a poor man's video ?)
you will be astonished how well the K-5 sound-recorder can do - even it is just only automatic.
The K-7 and K-5 have a clever system better than most others - why the hell I don't know !

Because I was a sound-assistant for many years in my professional time (almost over now)
I was interested in what microphones I could invest without paying to much - and Tube is full
of examples that show the problem well and sadly: Hissing and pumping and noise ...

I was surprised how well those two Pentaxes managed with mics that failed with many other
cameras. (Pentax hast some great potential - but surely not developped on all areas ...)
08-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
The K-7 and K-5 have a clever system better than most others - why the hell I don't know !
So clever they introduce a 'Click--click' every second.

08-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
LOL...touche, but that's AVI file not being decoded properly. The K-7 and K-5's files had some real compatibility issues...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

Pentax K-5 ii movie test - YouTube
Some days ago I heard my very first click ... and I wondered why.
Usually I read about that in some strange comments somewhere,
I was always puzzled about. Never had that on my K-7 and K-5 before.

Anyway: The amplifier of those Pentaxes does a very good job when you compare it to the many
Tube-test-videos for all kind of external microphones for DSLR. People usually say don't take this
or that mic because it is not loud enough, has some copter-like hissing sound, or just noise in the
background whenever nothing else is happening ... I heard that comment a lot - but it never occurred
to my Pentaxes yet.

Maybe I am to unsensitive to hear that ? I realy don't think so ...

Last edited by TomGarn; 08-05-2014 at 03:17 AM.