Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

why is there no video metadata?

shooting with a k-01, checking the metadata of video files, i've found that beyond codec information and a file modification date, there's nothing included. none of the file creation date, camera model, lens or photographer information is included. why is that? is there a way to rectify that?

10-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope. Not that I know of. Yes, it stinks. I've gotten into the habit of saying the settings out loud whenever I start recording.
10-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Nope. Not that I know of. Yes, it stinks. I've gotten into the habit of saying the settings out loud whenever I start recording.
FWIW D90, D7000, and D600 also doesnt ahve this. No idea about Canon :/
10-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is intriguing,...
When you choose the detailed Info screen during Play mode on the camera, instead of the one where you can play the video's from, the data for shutter speed, frame rate, Iris, etc is there, so the camera is including it in the .mov file somewhere.
I've looked in Edius, Lightroom, Quicktime, VLC and the ilk, and it's not getting displayed.
This needs more examination, think I've still got Avid and Premiere installed on a PC somewhere....

10-29-2014, 05:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
FWIW D90, D7000, and D600 also doesnt ahve this. No idea about Canon :/
Some cameras... older Canon point & shoots, Sony point & shoots etc. create THM files. They are JPEG thumbnails (just rename the file), and sometimes they include metadata. Sadly it seems like that is a thing of the past.

Is it possible that somewhere in the file structure this sort of metadata is saved in an external file or database? I'll try my K-5 now...

So I have copied an older video onto a memory card where it wasn't recorded on, and put it back into the camera. It recognizes the video including the meta data such as aperture and color profile. I've tried to look at a small video with a text editor... can't find anything meaningful.

Last edited by kadajawi; 10-29-2014 at 06:16 AM.
10-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok guys, download the tool Exiftool. It can at least read the metadata from my K-5. All of it. Including ISO and exposure time (I guess that was used at the start of the video? Hm...). Very interesting. Not quite convinced the data is necessarily correct though... the longest exposure I could find was 1/39th (when shooting 25p?), and an ISO of 51200 (I really don't think that particular video was shot at 51200, because it's really clean... cleaner than some supposedly ISO 5000 videos!).
10-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Ok guys, download the tool Exiftool..
Better still, grab the free version of PIE
Photography Companions - Picmeta Systems

It uses Exiftool internally and gives you so much more besides.