Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

problem with converting .avi to .mp4

Hi guys,
My Pentax K-r records video in .avi format (mjpg codec). When I convert it to .mp4 or any other format, I can hear a loud sputter (?) every second. I do not know how to describe this, so I am attaching both .avi and .mp4 file so you can hear it. It sounds like someone was tapping the microphone or like that sound in headphones when you plug them in to audio source.
AVI Sample - original
MP4 sample - converted

I am curious if you too will hear that sound.

Second thing is that when I play the .avi file in Media Player Classic I can hear that strange sound, but when I open the same file in Windows Media Player the sound is OK. It's the same on every computer I tried. Also it is ok while playing directly on the camera.
I was recording and converting videos from my Pentax K-r many times and never had this problem before. Videos that I recorded some time ago work just fine.

Today I spent like 4 hours trying to get rid of this problem. I tried removing and installing codecs and other software but with no luck

Do you think this is could be a problem with my camera?
thanks in advance for your help

10-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What program are you using to convert the files?
10-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

The clicking is audible on the AVI version. You could always apply a de-clicking filter to the audio when you convert it.
10-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hawli Quote
Hi guys,
My Pentax K-r records video in .avi format (mjpg codec).
Common issue with the early video capable cams (K-7 and K-5 also have this click)

It depends which player you play the .avi with - they all have slightly different decoders..
For example on my machine:
WMP has no click
WMPClassic has no sound
SPlayer has the click
SMPlayer has no click.

10-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
I am pretty sure the issue is related to the firmware as videos I recorded before update work fine and I have never had such problem with audio clicking.
I tried many converters and the only one that works for me is Adobe Media Encoder, too bad that it's not free, I need to find another program before the free trial expires.
The second thing is that k-r is so bad for recording movies that I think it should not have this function at all. so I would buy another model. But I wasnt thinking about video recording when I bought it.
10-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried Handbrake as a video converter? It might not fix the clicking problem (as that seems to be firmware related) but it's a free video converter that gets lots of praise out there.

https://handbrake.fr/
10-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yep it was one of first converters I tried, but it also does not fix the clicking sound. Luckily I found out that Avidemux also works, so I'm saved

10-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Not related to firmware. Related to the decoder of the player you are using to review the files.
I'm not talking out of my hat I had the issue with the K-7. But don't take my word for it, download those free players and try for yourself.
Remember that the dec in codec is the part the player software deals with (decodes).
10-22-2014, 05:43 AM   #9

Original Poster
So why the movies I recorded before upgrading firmware work?
10-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

So why the movies I recorded before upgrading firmware work?
Are you sure?
My old K-7 .avi files didn't click when I first got the camera in 2009, but when I play the old files now they click in certain players but not in others.
Of course I have a different PC now as well as a different OS.

You said in post#1

QuoteQuote:
Second thing is that when I play the .avi file in Media Player Classic I can hear that strange sound, but when I open the same file in Windows Media Player the sound is OK. It's the same on every computer I tried. Also it is ok while playing directly on the camera.
Doesn't this tell you something?

Anyhow, there's nothing you can do about it
10-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
yep, it tells me that they changed something in the way the camera records audio, for example audio coder or something and now I need other decoder for it.

Last edited by hawli; 10-23-2014 at 01:51 AM.
10-22-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

yep, it tells me that they changed something in the way the camera records music
wat!?

Never mind.
10-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It's just another one of those stories about poor Pentax loosing so many different kind of battles ...
... and not even willing and being ready to care for those who still hang on to Pentax.

For me I had to go back to the vlc-player version before that actual new one - out right now.
The newest VLC can't playback Pentax MJPEG anymore - they have just skipped it from their
cooking-list of codecs ... yes.
What does this tell you about Pentax codecs ?
The best free video-player available just skips Pentax for the future ! Can you believe it ?

Even if Adobe Premiere still manages to playback Pentax mjpeg - sometimes even there I could
hear that clicking ...

Pentax wake up or die !
10-23-2014, 05:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomGarn Quote
For me I had to go back to the vlc-player version before that actual new one - out right now.
The newest VLC can't playback Pentax MJPEG anymore.
The best free video-player available just skips Pentax for the future ! Can you believe it ?
Latest VLC version (2.1.5) works fine here with K-7 MJPEG .avi files, Tom.
I don't believe VLC is necessarily the best. Most well known and perhaps most popular for some time, but certainly there are others with better features, better support and much nicer UI.

EDIT: Also works fine with the OP's K-r video.
10-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

VLC doesn't use the systems installed CoDecs to play video, it uses FFmpeg, unless you do a custom setup when installing VLC and tell it to use the CoDecs.

I'd suggest opening the files in Media Player Classic (or the Home Cinema version), or in Quicktime, or in an NLE app like Edius or Premiere.
If VLC no longer plays the Mjpeg files, it should also fail on all other Mjpeg files, and that is due to FFmpeg, not Pentax.