Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

On demand AF on K3

This has probably been asked before but couldn't find a thread.

I know focusing manually is best but was wondering if the K3 is able to do any reasonable autofocusing during recording if I press the AF button. Whenever press the button I hear the gears nudging slightly but focus doesn't change, basically unresponsive. After a second or third push AF sometimes kicks in slowly. Is this normal?

Here's a video illustrating the problem. You can hear when I push the AF button and the clicking of the lens.

05-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, that is totally normal for Pentax, especially with a screw drive AF lens.

(Thank goodness they disable mechanical SR during video so we don't hear the SR noise as well.....)
05-22-2015, 05:11 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
This has probably been asked before but couldn't find a thread.

I know focusing manually is best but was wondering if the K3 is able to do any reasonable autofocusing during recording if I press the AF button. Whenever press the button I hear the gears nudging slightly but focus doesn't change, basically unresponsive. After a second or third push AF sometimes kicks in slowly. Is this normal?

Here's a video illustrating the problem. You can hear when I push the AF button and the clicking of the lens.
http://youtu.be/Se7JBHR00UA
Yup that's normal. The AF speed is reduced in video mode to keep noise levels low and to allow for smooth focus changes, but the implementation could use some work.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The AF speed is reduced in video mode to keep noise levels low and to allow for smooth focus changes, but the implementation could use some work.
Understatement of the year!

05-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I can understand slowing autofocus to keep noise levels down, but micro clicks back and forth before any major focusing movements kicking in is...unfortunate.
05-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
Thanks guys.

I can understand slowing autofocus to keep noise levels down, but micro clicks back and forth before any major focusing movements kicking in is...unfortunate.
A result of CDAF.

But really, it's far more professional looking to focus first then shoot.
05-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Better solution for the 'noise issue', besides focusing manually, is to use an external shock-mounted microphone, such as the Rode Video Mic.