Photos: Gallery
what about ipads? *lol*

06-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
what about ipads? *lol*
LOVE THEM!

Photo of a friend of mine at a photowalk (not taken by me) - his wife is the photographer, I think he took his iPad just to annoy everyone else :-)
06-02-2014, 05:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I keep seeing related information - kinda like more canaries that are keeling over in mindshafts. All 3 canaries are Nikon related, unfortunately, but i've also seen some comments about Canon difficulties. Its just that 75% of Nikon income comes from cameras, reportedly, so any downturn affects them more.

A. Thom Hogan: Whither Nikon? | byThom | Thom Hogan
This article was written in September 2013 and seems very prescient. The recent drop in DSLR shipments validates Hogan's comments, IMO.

B. Nikon stock hits 3 year low: Nikon Stock Hits Three Year Low, Prompts Company to Restructure

C. A post on dpreview: Nikon is going belly up first.: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
very interesting.

We will see if the decline of the big two will allow a third one to expand, but i don't even think so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Casual photographers used to whip out the camera on special occasions, like birthdays and events. Now many people tell me they can't remember when they last used their DSLR, some can't even remember where they stored it (well away from sight).
probably because many people did buy DSLR without being the kind of user that will use it. I mean, at the SLR time, many people didn't buy SLR. Many people used to have a compact camera (that where of very good quality BTW). And even those who had SLR, most of them only had a zoom or a 28mm and a 50mm.

Canon and Nikon sold a huge bunch of DSLR to people who wouldn't be long term user. They knew that. And now, everybody seems to discover it. ah ah !
06-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
[IMG][/IMG]

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Not really, except perhaps in Asia.

Smartphone is the new camera, period.

I have been attending Vivid every year since inception. In the first year, I would say almost half the people I meet will be carrying a DSLR (not surprising, P&S simply weren't good enough for low light photography).

This year, almost everyone is using a smartphone. DSLRs are a very small minority.

Even at Canon HQ, where I expected to find lots of DSLR users, I could have easily counted all the DSLR users in the room in one breath. The Canon girl even asked me whether I was interested in taking a selfie on my iPhone and get it printed on the spot.

Casual photographers used to whip out the camera on special occasions, like birthdays and events. Now many people tell me they can't remember when they last used their DSLR, some can't even remember where they stored it (well away from sight).

DSLRs will no longer be commodity items. There will still be a core set of DSLR users (mainly the enthusiasts) but soon they will be as rare as film photographers. Bad news for people like us is that prices will probably go up. So now is the time to buy stuff.
Seems we have lived through a "golden" period of camera development. And there seems to be a last burst of development as mfr try to maintain sales. But you're probably right although i think the core set of dslr users will be larger than in the past. What's different is that social media and photo hosting services will probably serve to keep photo interest alive. But overall i feel a bit sad over this state of affairs.

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
very interesting.

We will see if the decline of the big two will allow a third one to expand, but i don't even think so.

probably because many people did buy DSLR without being the kind of user that will use it. I mean, at the SLR time, many people didn't buy SLR. Many people used to have a compact camera (that where of very good quality BTW). And even those who had SLR, most of them only had a zoom or a 28mm and a 50mm.

Canon and Nikon sold a huge bunch of DSLR to people who wouldn't be long term user. They knew that. And now, everybody seems to discover it. ah ah !
I was one of those SLR buyers in my 20's, but it never took. I think social media like meetup.com is helping photo clubs recruit new users. Also online forums like PF and dpreview. In film days, you were much more on your own perhaps.

06-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I predict the demise of the consumer-grade kit lens. Enthusiasts buy lenses. Camera bodies are disposable afterthoughts.
06-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #21
Banned

All of the one billion smartphones sold in the last year had mirrorless cameras built-in.

06-02-2014, 09:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

For anyone who would be more interested in some restrained evaluation of the present Father's Day/Graduation/pre-Vacation peak camera buying season by a camera industry expert (and knowledgeable enthusiast), Thom Hogan's June 1 installment at his sansmirror.com website may be of some interest: 'Deals Are Ramping Back Up'. Don't expect speculative bombshells.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 06-02-2014 at 09:34 AM.
06-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
For anyone who would be more interested in some restrained evaluation of the present Father's Day/Graduation/pre-Vacation peak camera buying season by a camera industry expert (and knowledgeable enthusiast), Thom Hogan's June 1 installment at his sansmirror.com website may be of some interest: 'Deals Are Ramping Back Up'. Don't expect speculative bombshells.
Ahem. Where's Pentax?