Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone have a Panasonic HDC-SD900 or similar?

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD900 and I'm using Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13. I want to put a video on Vimeo in the best possible quality, but a huge amount of clarity seems to be lost through rendering. It's especially annoying that most of the rendering presets are for US video, while my camera is recording 25 fps for Australian TV (same as UK). Has anyone got really good results rendering video from this camera (or a similar one) and can share the settings used?

09-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I have HDC-SD700 and ran into similar issues a couple of years ago when I wanted to share some videos. The short answer is "No I haven't managed".
The balance between size and quality is a very tricky one and a few videos I did share were not particularly good IQ wise.

Maybe someone can chip in and help both of us. :|
09-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
I have HDC-SD700 and ran into similar issues a couple of years ago when I wanted to share some videos. The short answer is "No I haven't managed".
The balance between size and quality is a very tricky one and a few videos I did share were not particularly good IQ wise. Maybe someone can chip in and help both of us. :|
Thanks for replying anyway! I found a couple of tutorials on the web and I'm going to try the suggested settings. The first I tried resulted in a 226MB file which is 6:10 in length, 1920x1080 24p. It has a 5Mbps bit rate. The quality seems reasonable, so I'm uploading it to Vimeo. I'd really like to find the settings for the best rendering quality possible out of Movie Studio, or perhaps I need to use something else. I like it as an editing tool, but the loss of clarity between the original and the render is a bit shocking. Maybe if I watched it on a TV at normal viewing distance however...
09-23-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have the SD700. I only ever shoot 1080p. Manual tried to suggest it wasn't standard AVCHD (where as lower outputs were) ... but I've never had an issues. I store all on a mediasmart and can view directly with my Samsung TV. In the main, I stream via an Xtreamer Pro ... again ... it supported the format without any issues. I have used the supplied tools to reduce without any obvious issues. I will check again in case I'm remembering incorrectly. I'm pretty sure you can even use Slysoft CloneDVD mobile to directly convert to a multitude of output resolutions. Again ... haven't tried for a while because I mostly store native for in house streaming.

Cheers

Paul.

09-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pretty much local streaming is all I managed to do. At the time I was enthusiastic about post processing AVCHD was new, most software (and my hardware) supported it very poorly, I found editing is a tedious job I don't want to do, a lot of editing was needed to cut out dull parts, parts where camera was on in the bag, parts where it was pointing at the floor, parts where my daughter was shaking it like crazy......

So the result is: stuff is being duly recorded, and someone with much more time, capability and tools will edit it at some point.
09-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pgamble Quote
I have the SD700. I only ever shoot 1080p. Manual tried to suggest it wasn't standard AVCHD (where as lower outputs were) ... but I've never had an issues. I store all on a mediasmart and can view directly with my Samsung TV. In the main, I stream via an Xtreamer Pro ... again ... it supported the format without any issues. I have used the supplied tools to reduce without any obvious issues. I will check again in case I'm remembering incorrectly. I'm pretty sure you can even use Slysoft CloneDVD mobile to directly convert to a multitude of output resolutions. Again ... haven't tried for a while because I mostly store native for in house streaming.
Oh, I can create video. That's not a problem. It's a question of how to put something together which retains as much as possible of the original clarity. Sure, I can play the original clips too, but I'd prefer to edit it together like this;

Temora Flying Day September 20 on Vimeo
09-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have HDC-SD700 and ran into similar issues a couple of years ago when I wanted to share some videos. The short answer is "No I haven't managed". The balance between size and quality is a very tricky one and a few videos I did share were not particularly good IQ wise. Maybe someone can chip in and help both of us. :|
Did you have a look at the video I posted? What did you think of the quality?

09-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Did you have a look at the video I posted? What did you think of the quality?
That video looks better than whatever I uploaded. Unfortunately all I have is private so can't post it for you to compare and I gave up on video processing long time ago so wouldn't even know to repeat what I did then.
09-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Rob, what AE setting did you use? I was wondering how the Sports AE (or Manual with a higher shutter speed) would have worked. I know, when shooting athletics with a GS400 ( 3CCD Standard Definition Mini-DV), Sports AE helps to crisp up the motion.

It would be interesting to see a still frame extracted from the original and from the processed version of the side-on shot of the Spitfire on the runway (4:26) to fully gauge the quality loss.

Dan
09-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
That video looks better than whatever I uploaded. Unfortunately all I have is private so can't post it for you to compare and I gave up on video processing long time ago so wouldn't even know to repeat what I did then.
OK, thanks. It helps to know that the quality is ok.

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Rob, what AE setting did you use? I was wondering how the Sports AE (or Manual with a higher shutter speed) would have worked. I know, when shooting athletics with a GS400 ( 3CCD Standard Definition Mini-DV), Sports AE helps to crisp up the motion.
It would be interesting to see a still frame extracted from the original and from the processed version of the side-on shot of the Spitfire on the runway (4:26) to fully gauge the quality loss.
Hi Dan! I'll see what I can do. I used "intelligent auto" mode - mostly because when I try to change the settings, something else gets affected which I didn't want. Yes, I have to spend more time to RTFM. I find the camera's menus a lot less informative than my old Sony Mini-DV camera. Having said that, I'm talking about the comparison between the raw video from the camera and the edited video from the Sony software. I've seen people post video from the Panasonic on Vimeo which seems much sharper than the result that I'm getting. The whole image is softened compared to the original.

PS I think the shutter speed was reasonably high judging by the strobe effect on the props, but it's hard to tell.