Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Free Nikon

Hi,
My sister gave me her old camera, a Nikon D70S.
I have not read all the book yet.
Lenses are affordable used but I doubt I get more than 1 or 2 max,
if any. The kit lens seems OK.

It appears to be of the same era as the *ist. It's not a side by side comparison
right now I donated that one to my church. It's not really fair to compare it with
a K5.

My first initial thoughts before learning everything really in depth.

Pentax pro: Most manipulation that you need to get a good shot can be
accomplished using levers and buttons. Nikon con: Most manipulations
need to be accomplished using menu settings which is much slower.
Also I need my glasses to do that which makes it even more slower.

Nikon pro: The focusing and low light focusing rival my K5-IIs in terms of speed and accuracy.
Pretty amazing for 10 years old. I was never able to get my *ist to focus in low light.

Pentax pro: uses normal SD card. Nikon con: uses one of those older style really big
cards that I had to get a special adapter to read it.

As noted in millions of threads and reviews the Nikon has a much larger footprint but is light weight.
The Pentax is much smaller but much heavier. I think it is a great advantage to have a weather sealed
camera as well.

12-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All systems have their pros and cons. Pentax has weather sealed bodies with anti-shake. They also have zero affordable weather-sealed primes - nor does anyone for that matter, so it's a wash. Pentax and Nikon both have kept support for legacy lenses, with Pentax making every one image stabilized. Advantage Pentax. Pentax AF lags behind everyone. Advantage... well, anyone but Pentax.

You can buy a CF card adapter that fits a SD card inside it. That way you can even use an Eye-fi card with the old Nikon.
12-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Hi,
My sister gave me her old camera, a Nikon D70S.
it's a 6mp camera... not something that you'd want to base a platform decision on.

donate it like you did the pentax.
12-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My 24-85 is weather sealed and it was around $500. Kind of affordabe by some peoples standards but i was shocked to learn that this is [i]actually]/i] the kit lens for the d600. Ive used many a kit lens and this blows all them out of the water. Its the most expensive kit lens ever

List of weather sealed nikon lenses
Bodzash Photography and Astronomy: A Complete List of Weather-Resistant Nikon Lenses
24-85 doesnt seem to be on there buuut i have taken out in the rain a few times and it did just fine

Everything from the d7000 up has atleast some level of weather sealing.

12-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!

I can't sell trade or give it away. My sister said that exactly.

I'll just keep it around and mess with it sometimes. It's a thing where showing my respect and appreciation is a must.
12-19-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

And here is from amazon. What?!

Amazon.com : Nikon D70S 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-70mm Nikkor Lens : Digital Slr Camera Bundles : Camera & Photo
12-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I see that on Amazon a lot.
I don't know the theory of it. Maybe they hope somebody will get drunk and do a one click buy?
I've seen $500 for a canon sd600. $300 for the book bye bye binky. $300 for the book santa mouse.

I do often wonder if some Arab sheik has ever gotten drunk and bought the patek Philippe sky moon.

12-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with 6MP. In fact, it has a lot of benefits.
12-20-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's one of the magical high-speed syncing cameras:

Strobist: Control Your World With Ultra-High Sync

I'd take a free one to have access to this power.
12-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to do some experimenting with it. Take some shots of the daughter and give to my sister.

I don't think it's on the level of the k200 I loaned to a friend ( his got stolen). It's not the older technology that is the problem. I carry my pentax with the fa21 or the 40 pancake with me 75 percent of the time. The nikon is just cumbersome.

The best camera is the one you have with you.
All Things Turtle Creek - Home