Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2015, 05:58 AM   #1

LYTRO camera

Hello
There is a big sale on the Lytro camera.
Has anyone experience with this?
Is it wort the money?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KAX40LM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&c...UYWHBJOPEVXT3S

Thanks for info

11-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought an early version of the Lytro camera. It's an interesting gadget for sure but I didn't know what to do with it in a tradition photographic sense. After taking a picture you upload the "image" to your computer. From there you can click on any point in the image and that part of the image will come into focus whereas other areas will be defocused if they happen to be in a different focal plane. For instance, take a picture of a vertical cylinder, like a fire extinguisher. The curved surface offers multiple focus points but I could only pick one. Now if I could simulate something like focus stacking and basically increase my depth of field then I would be in paradise. Maybe that is possible nowadays with the current hardware and software. You really had to have a purpose to use one of these early versions of the camera.

Despite the unique user experience, I did not find myself wanting to come back to it. Maybe it's just my style. This could be the camera of the future and we just don't know it yet.

I would call this version a gadget for early adopters and for technophiles. Pass.
11-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

11-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Though the fixed f/2 aperture accentuates the unique ability to change focus in the captured image,
a real adjustable diaphragm would make it far more useful for general photography.
IMO this makes it seem more a gimmick than a serious photographic tool.

I applaud the concept, and its relative simplicity compared to many digital cameras.

Chris

12-08-2015, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*Sigh* Been thinking about light field photography and Lytro since they announce their first version of the Lytro camera... and to my surprise, this Black Friday they had it on a huge sale in Sweden. Was able to grab a Lytro Illum for less than 240 USD.
Since it's December I havn't had the time to play around with it much so I will give you guys an update here later.