Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikonos III. Any underwater shooters?

I have a Nikonos III with the 35mm and 80mm coming on Monday! Why? Why not! and it was offered a good price. Brother Butkus has the manual on line so I won't be flying blind. The seller is sending some lube and a new gasket.

Anyone out there shooting underwater with one of these? Any suggestions on how to test for water tightness? I'd imagine that if the sealing surfaces for the lens and the case are good and the gaskets look undamaged all should be well, but the O rings for the wind/shutter, aperture, and shutter speed probably aren't readily "checkable." At the least it will be a truly "all weather" shooter.

04-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cannot help with checking those seals, but I will say it is a great very fast camera on land, and one that obviously can sit in water/sand. The best of the Nikonos line. Just need to be good in estimating exposure or use a separate meter. Now on canoe trips/going to the beach I still take it.

For the 35mm lens a step down ring from 58 to 49mm and a 35mm takumar (rectangular metal) hood works well, or add a skylight filter** and use the 28 mm clamp on takumar hood. It does flare quite a bit if sun is prominent. (Actually a lens hood is needed, and a round hood cuts into the viewfinder more strongly.)

I never used any other lens than the 35 mm FL, but they also made a 28 mm (not underwater rated but splashproof) which may be useful for land use. But make sure it is not the underwater 28 mm (it and wider lenses have curved/dome front objective for under water).
_____
** but not for diving as it will be crushed.

Last edited by dms; 04-30-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added comment on round hood
04-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Cannot help with checking those seals, but I will say it is a great very fast camera on land, and one that obviously can sit in water/sand. The best of the Nikonos line. Just need to be good in estimating exposure or use a separate meter. Now on canoe trips/going to the beach I still take it.

For the 35mm lens a step down ring from 58 to 49mm and a 35mm takumar (rectangular metal) hood works well, or add a skylight filter** and use the 28 mm clamp on takumar hood. It does flare quite a bit if sun is prominent. (Actually a lens hood is needed, and a round hood cuts into the viewfinder more strongly.)

I never used any other lens than the 35 mm FL, but they also made a 28 mm (not underwater rated but splashproof) which may be useful for land use. But make sure it is not the underwater 28 mm (it and wider lenses have curved/dome front objective for under water).
_____
** but not for diving as it will be crushed.
Thanks, DMS. Sunny f/16 on land, add one stop for every 3 feet of water depth is a rule of thumb I've heard.
05-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've sent the Nikonos to Southern Nikonos for their Annual Maintenance which includes new seals and pressure testing. The lenses went along for checking over and new O-rings. I bought the Nikonos underwater housing for the Sekonic L-86 meter, which will arrive next week. Jacques Cousteau calls to me ........

05-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

I had a Nikonos III over 25+ years ago, eventually sold it to a friend after I tapered off diving. Below are a couple photos from a Cozumel trip. IIRC I mostly used the 35mm lens. Quality suffers a bit as these were scanned from slides.

Fish school under the wing of an airplane wreck

Fan sponge (I think)
05-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked my Nikonos III but sold it during a gear de-acquisition phase years ago.
I missed it so in 2013 I bought a used Nikonos V, now a very affordable camera.

I have no intention of ever using it underwater or diving; it's my foul weather camera.
Though I have never replaced the seals I don't hesitate to use it outdoors in any weather.

Chris
07-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Nikonos came back from Southern Nikonos with a clean bill of health: tested to 50m or 160 feet. All is well! I also scored an underwater meter housing and the proper Sekonic selenium meter for it. I'll chuck the meter housing in the pool, weighted down, for a little test.

Hmmm... Do I hear Jacques Cousteau calling to me? There is a nearby dive shop with certified classes.... At my age of 72 I may rattle them, but that's the way the cookie crumbles!

07-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
The Nikonos came back from Southern Nikonos with a clean bill of health: tested to 50m or 160 feet. All is well! I also scored an underwater meter housing and the proper Sekonic selenium meter for it. I'll chuck the meter housing in the pool, weighted down, for a little test.

Hmmm... Do I hear Jacques Cousteau calling to me? There is a nearby dive shop with certified classes.... At my age of 72 I may rattle them, but that's the way the cookie crumbles!
Ha! Have fun. I'm jealous that you have a meter - my Dad has the Nikonos II, and that was flying blind. Did have a flash, though.
08-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
An update. I scored the 20mm, might be NOS since it came in a Nikon box with the foam inserts, for .... $35.00!! Loverly! Also found the Sea & Ski finder for it for about $30.00. There is a dive shop with pool, etc, and certified instructors only about 9 miles away. My doctor doesn't see any problems for an Old Fart like me - i'm 72 - soooo....gotta do some serious thinking. Maybe its time to take some of those dreams off the shelf while i still can.
08-07-2016, 05:22 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do I hear Jacques Cousteau calling to me?
I hope not. He died a few years back

Steve
08-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a dive shop with pool, etc, and certified instructors only about 9 miles away. My doctor doesn't see any problems for an Old Fart like me - i'm 72 - soooo....gotta do some serious thinking. Maybe its time to take some of those dreams off the shelf while i still can.
Absolutely! Learning to breath underwater is a unique experience and worth the effort to pursue.

Steve
08-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Diving can be enjoyed long after 72! I'm 70, but did my scuba diving back around '62-68, before certification was needed. After moving to Texas about 1970 and seeing all the brown lakes I gave away all my gear. I used to use a home-made plexiglass housing for a 127 box camera, and found some pictures from it not long ago. My high school diving buddy had a Calypso (later taken over by Nikon as Nikonos), and went into oceanography.