Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What battery for Spotmatic meter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Went to get a battery for my spotmatic today but the local camera shop didn't have one... They said I'd need an 'AG10-P400' and would have to get it off ebay and that it would be expensive...

Did an ebay search for 'AG10 P400 Battery' and got zero results...

Did an ebay search for 'AG10 Battery' and got 334 results... However some also had other numbers associated with them: L1130, 390, 389, LR54, SG10 and others...

None of them were particularly expensive... Can I use any of these?

Or... Is there a particular one I should obtain?

In my confusion I offer advance thanks!
Dave

03-31-2012, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #2

I use energizer 394 batteries in my Spotmatic. They're cheap and available at most stores here in the States. If it doesn't come with a little plastic spacer you'll need a small rubber O ring to go around the battery to keep it centered in the battery compartment.

Last edited by average-guy; 03-31-2012 at 05:33 PM.
03-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by average-guy Quote
If it doesn't come with a little plastic spacer you'll need a small rubber O ring to go around the battery to keep it centered in the battery compartme
Thank you! No worries... I have the spacer :-)
03-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wein makes a replacement battery for the Spotmatic. Here is a link to where you can get some.

Micro-Tools Product Search Results

03-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks gaweidert but Wein don't seem to be available in the UK... I've just ordered some Energizer 394's on the advice of 'average-guy' from a UK supplier... Should arrive Tuesday... :-)
Until then I'm playing with my MG with Horusbennu 50mm 1.7 and XP2-400 C41 B&W film, my black MEsuper with M-40mm 2.8 and Kodak Colourplus 200 (50pence a roll!!), and my MZ-7 with any AF lens I fancy at the time and Fuji Superior-400...
Trying to find a fast C41 B&W film that's available in the UK for the Spotmatic which I finding problematic...
04-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #6

Don't use Wein cells, waste of money since the silver oxide batteries work just fine with the Spotmatics circuitry. Based on advice on a Flickr forum, I tried Energizer E387s batteries, these are an exact fit and even come with their own plastic 'o-ring'. For my Spotmatic Fs, I use SR44 equivalent silver oxides with an o-ring. The metering is the same as zinc-air batteries.
04-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps someone should start a sticky for Pentax film SLR batteries? This question comes up almost weekly. If one is done, I would request that it put to rest, once and for all, the issue of voltage and the Spotmatic meter.

Steve

04-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps someone should start a sticky for Pentax film SLR batteries? This question comes up almost weekly. If one is done, I would request that it put to rest, once and for all, the issue of voltage and the Spotmatic meter.
I did do a search before posting and could not find the answer...

But if it is a regularly asked question then I would happily second a request of a 'Pentax Film SLR Batteries' sticky...
I own various Pentax SLR's so a sticky of this type would be of great personal use to me...
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or could this info be part of the Pentax Camera reviews? That way all info we need is located in the same spot.

There is a spot in the table for battery type, but it often refers to the original sold when the camera was new. It would help for a cross refrence.

Does anyone know what battery to use in the light meter you afix on top of the prism? I would want to test to see if it works...
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
Don't use Wein cells, waste of money since the silver oxide batteries work just fine with the Spotmatics circuitry. Based on advice on a Flickr forum, I tried Energizer E387s batteries, these are an exact fit and even come with their own plastic 'o-ring'. For my Spotmatic Fs, I use SR44 equivalent silver oxides with an o-ring. The metering is the same as zinc-air batteries.
I wouldn't use Wein Cells either.
Yes, the E387, is ideal, but I don't think they're made any more......they're not available in Aus anyway.....I've seen 'em on Ebay advertised new....but I'd be interested to know the date of manufacture, & relative to that, what their shelf life would be.
Cheers, Pickles.
04-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Conversion table for batteries

I found this on the internet, at Clas Ohlsons web page (Swedish have-it-all type store). I have copied it from their internet page, and placed it in a chart. Please feel free to use it, but I do not vouch for the accuracy of the table.

Another nice source:

http://www.criscam.com/mercury_battery_adapters.php
Attached Images
File Type: pdf battery conversion table..pdf (102.7 KB, 2721 views)

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 04-03-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added link
04-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Battery+ ? store near me. They don't carry the E387 battery either. Not in their system either.
04-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These are what I'v bought from ebay... So fingers crossed... Really hoping they (and the Spotties meter) work!!

They should arrive this week...

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 04-04-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: memory issues!!
04-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
I've just ordered some Energizer 394's
Well they arrived...

Either they're not the right battery or the meter does not work... At the moment I'm gutted...
04-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Or could this info be part of the Pentax Camera reviews? That way all info we need is located in the same spot.
This is a great idea!!