Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #1

Power Zoom - how?

I've just picked up a Z-50p which seems to work, mostly to use with my FA-J 18-35mm (as it can control the aperture from the body) but also because I have the PZ 28-80mm zoom.

However, I can't find a manual for the camera anywhere. I've worked out what most of the buttons do but I'm struggling with the power zoom functions (other than the obvious one of clicking the zoom ring forwards to activate it). What am I supposed to be able to do with the button and slide switch on the side of the lens? Pressing the button seems to make it auto focus (just like half pressing the shutter) and if I set the switch to A then half press the shutter the lens zooms on its own, as well as focusing.

11-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Summary of PZ functions:

Pentax Lens Power Zoom

This manual covers it (note the manual is split into 2 pdfs, the break is right in the middle of the zoom stuff looks like):

Pentax PZ-10 manual, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf manuals
11-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for that, if anyone else is trying to do the same thing then the Z-50p uses the rocker dial/switch behind the shutter button instead of the +/- buttons, but is otherwise the same.
11-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As far as I'm aware the only bodies to use the PZ 'P->A/S' switch on the lens were the PZ series where they setup the Zoom clip and Image size tracking, modes. IIRC the zoom effect and 'portrait' zoom modes were driven completely by the camera. The portrait mode allowed the user to specify either a 'full length' or 'head & shoulders' portrait and used the AF distance to calculate & drive the correct focal length.

This switch/button arrangement is fragile and often breaks (the curved plastic cover holding them on to the lens break) and are then taped up.

On film cameras running Lithium batteries, these functions aren't worth the power drain - but they do make the zoom rings of the FA lenses feel a bit 'gritty' even in manual zoom mode.

11-27-2014, 04:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, mine works. I bought the lens mint but minus the switch, then replaced the missing parts with spares from a seriously mangled example that I'd previously bought intending to repair (then found that FA lenses aren't as simple and solid as K or M lenses!) I managed to reattach it with a tiny dab of gel superglue, you can't see any difference and it doesn't seem to have harmed the lens. Everything lights up and works. The powered zoom part works on some of the DSLRs, minus the special effects.

I was wondering how the portrait mode was supposed to work, having figured out the image size tracking and zoom clip features. Will have a play and see what happens.
02-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have PZ-1/Z-1 and wondered if the image tracking is worth playing with. I've been tempted to buy a power zoom lens just to play.

Has anyone actually tried the image tracking?