Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Winder MEII Battery latch fix!

So a month or so ago my Winder MEii did the same thing they all do eventually, the battery door latch snapped.

And so today I decided to have a go at repairing it without resorting to duct tape.
I have to say, after a few failed attempts I've got something i'm fairly happy with, and better still, it won't break again.

So, attempt 1 was to re-mould the part from plastic of some form.

I didn't want to go out and buy a whole moulding kit for one tiny part, so I used what I had around.
The mould was made from car detailing clay, with the part pressed into it.

I then sprinkled bi-carb soda into the mould and dripped liquid superglue onto it, according to the internet the bi-carb and cyanoacrylate react and form a hard plastic.
It sort of worked, the result was pretty accurate to the mould, BUT the "plastic" formed was not particularly hard, the consistancy was more like really cold toffee.... not rigid like the catch needed.

In the process of making that mould the original part broke further, so the next moulds weren't as neat, I tried the superglue again with a different amount of bi-carb, same problem.

I also tried knead-it (JB weld) which was too thick to get into the mould without deforming the mould.

In the end I grabbed a spare bit of aluminium extrusion and have spent the afternoon cutting, grinding, filing etc to make a new part.

the finish isn't perfect, but I don't really have all the right tools for this job.
If I had a small milling machine it would have taken me half the time and with twice the quality.

12-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well done! I took a gamble on the purchase of a spare from ebay -- the seller wasn't sure which model it came from. I was pleased when it turned out to be the correct part. K.
12-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now please come up with a DIY repair for the often stripped plastic screw on the Winder MX battery compartment latch...

Chris
12-19-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Now please come up with a DIY repair for the often stripped plastic screw on the Winder MX battery compartment latch...

Chris

Is the screw plastic and the head strips? or does it screw into plastic and strip out that plastic?

if the head strips it should be as simple as replacing it with a metal screw, I usually collect random small screws from broken electronic gear (computers etc)

if the plastic body strips out I'd say the best option is to fill the hole and re-drill it.
Araldite (2 part epoxy) usually does a good job at that kind of thing, and for drilling tiny holes you can buy what's called a pin-vice from hobby shops (tiny hand operated drill)

02-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #5

3D printed replacement...

I know this is an old post, but for any future searchers....

I had the same problem with the broken latch. I had good results 3D printing a replacement part. The info is here: Winder ME II Latch by malfunction54 - Thingiverse
12-13-2016, 04:04 AM   #6

great thread! thank you all for the ideas!