Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where do you get your film developed and printed

So was thinking of taking my pz1p out for a roll or two. Where do you guys get your film developed? Where do you get prints made? Its been a few years since I shot film.
thanks,
al

01-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I procees b&w at home and scan.
For C41, there is a Walgreens just around the corner from my house. Process only and I scan.
For E6 I send out (Ektachrome slide film developing - Kodak certified service - Dwayne's Photo Service) - process only and I scan.
01-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My local camera shop, Gordon's Photo Service, develops C-41 film onsite. They charge $3 per roll and they have a form for mail-in orders too.
01-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I must admit I'm both fussy and lazy... As a result I send my films to a good quality lab and get good quality development and lo res scans. I found that the cheaper outfits either ruined films (CVS in NYC really messed-up a couple of my films), and rubbish scans (I use a lot of Ektar 100 for colour and it is very fussy about developing and not easy to scan). The downside... rather pricey! Turn around time is good though. If I post on Monday I get the films back Wednesday. The labs I use in the UK are "The Darkroom UK" or "Peak Imaging". I'm sure someone here will recommend someone similar stateside, although even a Brit has heard of Dwayne's Photo... I've even got the t-shirt!

Best wishes, Kris.

01-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For black and white I develop at home.

For c-41 developing and prints I use my local shop West Photo (Minneapolis, mn). They do a great job.

I scan my 35mm film at home.
01-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black & white gets done at home now and scanned.
For C-41 and E-6, I send out to The Darkroom. I am very happy with their service.
01-29-2015, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I procees b&w at home and scan.
For C41, there is a Walgreens just around the corner from my house. Process only and I scan.
For E6 I send out (Ektachrome slide film developing - Kodak certified service - Dwayne's Photo Service) - process only and I scan.
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I must admit I'm both fussy and lazy... As a result I send my films to a good quality lab and get good quality development and lo res scans. I found that the cheaper outfits either ruined films (CVS in NYC really messed-up a couple of my films), and rubbish scans (I use a lot of Ektar 100 for colour and it is very fussy about developing and not easy to scan). The downside... rather pricey! Turn around time is good though. If I post on Monday I get the films back Wednesday. The labs I use in the UK are "The Darkroom UK" or "Peak Imaging". I'm sure someone here will recommend someone similar stateside, although even a Brit has heard of Dwayne's Photo... I've even got the t-shirt!

Best wishes, Kris.

+1 for Dwayne's. I use them to develop, print, and scan. Turnaround time for me is about ten days or less. They haven't failed me yet.

01-29-2015, 11:31 PM   #8

I used The Film Processors in the UK which is mail order, bit pricey but good results, and they were happy to talk to me about exposure as I'm not technically very savvy. Max Spielman seem to be on a mission to use as little paper as possible, and they're not that cheap really. Jessops seemed fine but one film came back scratched, it was a new camera (new to me - 1960s) and I've only used it once so am still unsure if they were being ham-fisted or it was the camera (not that I can find anything in it that would have done that).
01-30-2015, 01:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cooroy twenty minutes up the highway has 'Guardian Chemist shop' that does c41. Do it in an hour and charge $10 to develop and scan to CD with an index print.
01-30-2015, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting,thanks! I was leaning towards Dwaynes here,but was curious what others used. Seems alot develop their black and white themselves...never done that myself but am considering it.

Thank you,
Al
01-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #11

Walgreen's for my C-41; black and white I've found a place in the DC area named Dodge Chrome that's pretty good (overall). I found a small (privately owned, one man operation) camera shop nearby with their own mini-lab that I plan to try; but I've not shot any film in the past several months. Locally, the only convenient place still doing C-41 is Walgreen's; the other chains are sending everything out.
01-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Seems alot develop their black and white themselves...never done that myself but am considering it.
It is very simple to process your own b&w film at home. Probably the hardest part is picking the film and developer.
01-30-2015, 07:37 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+2 for Dwayne's Photo Service in Kansas. I use Dwayne's to develop my color negative rolls and scan to CD.

Then I Post Process the scans at home with Picasa:
straighten, crop, re-touch, fill light, ND filter (graduated or full), warmify or saturate, and sharpen as needed.

For prints and enlargements, I send over the internet to Costco and pick up the next day.
01-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
For B&W I develop it myself. C41 I take over to Downtown Camera here in Toronto. It's $6/roll for medium format and 10th roll is free. Scanning I do at home (flat-bed for 120, DSLR for 135). I've also used Toronto Image Works with good results, but Downtown Camera is closer to work.
01-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a place nearby where I live called "The Lab". They do E6, C41 and b&w processing, as well as scanning and printing for me.

If I’m shooting b&w slide film then I have to send them to DR5Chrome in Denver for processing.

Phil.