Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

Suggestion for cleaning musty faux leather on MX?

Hi folks,
I picked up a nice MX a few weeks back and I'm really enjoying it. One thing I'd like to address with it is that the faux leather wrap on the body smells kinda musty - I can smell it when I lift the camera to my eye. Any suggestions what I can use to clean it and hopefully remove the odor without damaging the leather or the camera?
Thanks!
Derek

03-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gentle scrubbing with a mild detergent solution (dish soap) and a soft cloth would be a good start. Follow with clean water.

Steve
03-30-2015, 01:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just keeping the camera out in some fresh air (indoors) or under a fan for a while would also help.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2015, 03:56 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
As for me.. I don't mind change the appearance of my camera.. I am recently thinking of getting old camera body and replace the faux leather with actual leather.. It looks better and get rid of the smell all together..

I got my idea from

Thinking of getting an used, cheap body to do some experiment right now.

03-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks guys!
I think I'll try soapy water followed by fresh water followed by airing out. I'd prefer not to replace the original leatherette if possible.
Take care,
Derek