Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
sunshine7913

Film x-ray scanner

is there anyway to prevent getting scan from X-ray scanner from the airport? I'm gonna buy 50 rolls of film to travel Korea for a month. But I'm really worry about X-ray scanner so much.

04-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get a film x-ray proof bag:

x-ray | B&H Photo Video

First choice is always to get your film hand scanned and NEVER put film in checked baggage, even if it's in a x-ray proof bag.

Phil.
04-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Get a film x-ray proof bag:

x-ray | B&H Photo Video

First choice is always to get your film hand scanned and NEVER put film in checked baggage, even if it's in a x-ray proof bag.

Phil.
So should I ask them to check my films by their hands?
04-19-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
So should I ask them to check my films by their hands?
Yes, but make sure you take the film out from any boxes. You can leave it in the plastic containers.

They may complain about hand checking 50 rolls, though.

Phil.

04-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Ask them politely but make sure there is plenty of time for you to clear security if 5 hey cannot do it immediately. For our trip to Scotland next month I am going to ask in Calgary for the 400 speed film to be hand check but the 100 probably not.

If you are going through security many times it is a greater problem than just once each direction. Just do not put film in checked baggage.
04-20-2015, 03:12 AM   #6

They handchecked in the US for me but in the Netherlands they scanned it. The TSA equivalent guy said it wouldn't cause any damage or he'd buy me a beer! Didn't get the beer, but all 25 rolls came out fine. They were also xrayed in Tanzania and Portlad by accident.
04-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

Depending on the machine, anything under ISO 1600 is generally okay...but as noted above, don't put film into checked luggage. The X-ray scanners used for checked baggage is much more powerful than what they use at the security checkpoint!

04-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #8

Speaking from experience, on one of my travel, I had my film in my hand luggage and it went through a total of six scans through various domestic and international airports throughout Malaysia, Singapore and Australia. The pictures turned out fine. I used ISO200-400 colour print film. I won't really worry about it
04-21-2015, 01:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think the most I've ever had film x-rayed was four. It was 400 speed film and it was fine afterwards, but x-ray damage is cumulative and I have heard of people travelling around Asia and having their film x-rayed so many times that it was ruined. Modern scanners use less powerful x-rays than older ones, so it's not as big a worry as it used to be 20+ years ago.

If it's just one scan on the way there and another on the way back it should be fine, but push for manual inspection anyway. If you have a change and another security check then that will double the x-rays, though.

Another option may be to look into getting your film there, so it would only be x-rayed on the way back. In a couple of months I'm flying to San Francisco via LA, so I plan on contacting film retailers close to the hotel to arrange what I want and then I'll pick it up there on the first day. That will mean I'll be able to avoid two scans.
04-23-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't bank on getting a hand inspection, I was refused recently in the UK (film was out of the cardboard boxes and out of the plastic containers). I don't know if the 'xray proof' bags ever worked - anecdotally they simply forced the operator to turn up the juice on the scanner - but even less so today. It took me 15 mins to get through last time I flew, I had nothing dodgy in my bag (not even the P67) but they still tipped it all out and swabbed everything - and then got annoyed they couldn't find something to moan about.

I'd make sure you don't have film in the camera when you go through security though.
04-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
I wouldn't bank on getting a hand inspection, I was refused recently in the UK (film was out of the cardboard boxes and out of the plastic containers). I don't know if the 'xray proof' bags ever worked - anecdotally they simply forced the operator to turn up the juice on the scanner - but even less so today. It took me 15 mins to get through last time I flew, I had nothing dodgy in my bag (not even the P67) but they still tipped it all out and swabbed everything - and then got annoyed they couldn't find something to moan about.

I'd make sure you don't have film in the camera when you go through security though.
In the UK you won't get a hand inspection ever. In the US I think they are obliged to do it if you request it.