Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 03:41 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax ME - Almost Working - Second Curtain Issue

Hi All,

I've got a Pentax ME that I'm attempting to repair, and I'd appreciate some opinions on what the problem could be. When on 100x or B, everything works mechanically as expected. Without batteries the shutter and curtains also look to be working as expected. With batteries, the meter is working well, however with the dial on Auto, the mirror goes up, the first curtain opens, but that's where it stops. If I move the mode switch to L or 100x, then the process completes, the curtains close and the mirror drops.

I have the Pentax ME service manual, but I don't really know where to look. I realise that the problem is electrical, but where should I be looking and what should I be testing? I have taken the top and bottom off to have a bit of a look, and see if there were any loose wires, but they looked ok.

ME's don't seem to be worth much these days, so I'd like to try and fix myself rather than send it in somewhere to get it fixed. Appreciate or advice you may have.

Thanks.

04-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What happens if you wait for 30 or 40 seconds? If the light sensor is not seeing light, the shutter will stay open for the maximum duration. Wait it out for a minute and see if it completes.
04-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Could be a bad solder joint, or a dirty contact. Could also be a problem with whatever mechanical device moves the curtain itself. If for instance the curtains worked via motor that moved one side, and springs that acted to pull the other side, then I'd look at the springs as well (I know I'm probably not describing this in a way to make much sense...). Does curtain #2 move freely, or perhaps it needs lubed somehow? I know nothing of the ME/ME Super, so all I can do is speculate on possible causes at this point. If your problem is electrical in nature, then good chance you can track it down using a multimeter.
04-22-2015, 03:44 AM   #4
J8B

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
What happens if you wait for 30 or 40 seconds? If the light sensor is not seeing light, the shutter will stay open for the maximum duration. Wait it out for a minute and see if it completes.
No luck unfortunately Waited for a few minutes but didn't complete. Only when i move to mode switch to 100x or L does it complete.

---------- Post added 04-22-15 at 08:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Could be a bad solder joint, or a dirty contact. Could also be a problem with whatever mechanical device moves the curtain itself. If for instance the curtains worked via motor that moved one side, and springs that acted to pull the other side, then I'd look at the springs as well (I know I'm probably not describing this in a way to make much sense...). Does curtain #2 move freely, or perhaps it needs lubed somehow? I know nothing of the ME/ME Super, so all I can do is speculate on possible causes at this point. If your problem is electrical in nature, then good chance you can track it down using a multimeter.
Thanks Auzzie. I was thinking mechanically it is ok, as it seems all ok on bulb and 100x (and on auto without a battery). I believe curtain #2 is ok as everything completes when on 100x. Im guessing whatever is supposed to be electrically triggered when the selected shutter speed timer ends is not being triggered. I do have a multimeter, just not sure what i should be testing or where i should be looking

04-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
J8B

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I was having a play with the camera again, and tried it again on auto and left it for several minutes. It did eventually complete after several minutes. Im not sure what this means though? Where is the light sensor located, and what is the maximum duration? Is there something i can look at to address this issue?

Thanks.