Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
P-TTL or TTL best for ZX-L?

I just received a ZX-L with an FA 28-90 lens from Goodwill. It is clean and functional, so I'm going to do a test roll. I also have a AF360FGZ flash. Both the camera body and the flash support both TTL and P-TTL modes. My question is, which is best to use for straight on-camera flash (no high speed sync, no remote off camera flash, etc.)? From what I read, there is no reason to expect that P-TTL, though a newer method, is superior in accuracy to TTL - is that correct? The flash does default on power up to P-TTL I believe, so perhaps I'll end up using that as I won't have to switch modes every time I turn it on.

Also, I believe from what I've read that I'll have to use TTL mode when using my older M and M42 lenses.

07-29-2015, 11:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I do not think the older cameras support P-TTL, so you will have to use TTL
07-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The ZX-L supports P-TTL as well as TTL: Pentax MZ-6/MZ-L/ZX-L - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
07-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've used my modern WR P-TTL flash with my ZX-L. It seemed to work OK. I've only shot one roll of film with the camera, though, and I only used the flash for about 5 shots on that roll... so not exactly exhaustive experience.

I'd go plain TTL. It sounds superior to P-TTL to me, if the pre-flash or whatever it uses doesn't cause a problem for you.

07-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you don't already have a flash, then maybe go TTL because you can get the AF-280 or AF-500 for very little money.
If you already have a P-TTL flash, it will work great.
I think the ZX-L supports wireless when used with the AF-360.
07-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I do not think the older cameras support P-TTL, so you will have to use TTL
No, Macario, you'll see that I wrote in my original post, both the ZX-L body and the AF 360 FGZ flash support both TTL and P-TTL modes. The P-TTL system was rolled out about the time of the late model ZX cameras, before Pentax began making digital cameras.

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 08:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Yes, deus ursus, that's right, thanks for posting the link.

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 08:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I've used my modern WR P-TTL flash with my ZX-L. It seemed to work OK. I've only shot one roll of film with the camera, though, and I only used the flash for about 5 shots on that roll... so not exactly exhaustive experience.

I'd go plain TTL. It sounds superior to P-TTL to me, if the pre-flash or whatever it uses doesn't cause a problem for you.
Narual - Thanks very much for relating your experience. I just shot a picture with the P-TTL mode on the camera, as the flash defaults to that on start-up and I didn't feel like taking the time to change it. Actually I didn't even notice the preflashes (the P-TTL uses preflash to set the exposure). I'll probably take a couple shots with TTL (no preflash used, the off-the-film exposure sensors just cut the flash off when there has been enough light transmitted) and see if I notice any differences.

---------- Post added 07-30-2015 at 08:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
If you don't already have a flash, then maybe go TTL because you can get the AF-280 or AF-500 for very little money.
If you already have a P-TTL flash, it will work great.
I think the ZX-L supports wireless when used with the AF-360.
Swift - Thanks for your help. You'll see in my original post that I do indeed already have an AF 360 FGZ flash. And yes, that flash and the camera will support wireless.
07-30-2015, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Swift - Thanks for your help. You'll see in my original post that I do indeed already have an AF 360 FGZ flash. And yes, that flash and the camera will support wireless.
Awesome. You can also use the Trailing Curtain Sync with that combo.

I took this back in 2009 using my MZ-L and AF360-fgz.

08-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
FYI, as I shot my first test roll with the ZX-L, I tried some shots with the AF360FGZ attached. Although (as I stated earlier in this thread) the manuals for both the camera and the flash state that each of these units can be used in the TTL or P-TTL modes, it turns out that when you attach the AF360FGZ to a ZX-L the combination works only in the P-TTL mode, TTL is not an option available on the AF360FGZ screen. Apparently this would also be the case (per the flash's manual) with some other camera bodies, such as the *ist and MZ-S. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm expecting that the AF360FGZ flash will indicate TTL mode is available when I mount it on the ZX-5N (which does not have P-TTL capability). Also, I would expect that if I had a Pentax flash that supports only TTL mode, it would work in that mode on the ZX-L. With the ZX-L and AF360FGZ combination, I can also operate in Automatic mode (using the light sensor on the flash itself, not through the lens), Manual, and in SB mode for spot beam focusing aid. So, my original post (i.e., should I use P-TTL or TTL with this flash/body combination) is moot, there is only one choice, P-TTL.
08-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
FYI, as I shot my first test roll with the ZX-L, I tried some shots with the AF360FGZ attached. Although (as I stated earlier in this thread) the manuals for both the camera and the flash state that each of these units can be used in the TTL or P-TTL modes, it turns out that when you attach the AF360FGZ to a ZX-L the combination works only in the P-TTL mode, TTL is not an option available on the AF360FGZ screen. Apparently this would also be the case (per the flash's manual) with some other camera bodies, such as the *ist and MZ-S. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm expecting that the AF360FGZ flash will indicate TTL mode is available when I mount it on the ZX-5N (which does not have P-TTL capability). Also, I would expect that if I had a Pentax flash that supports only TTL mode, it would work in that mode on the ZX-L. With the ZX-L and AF360FGZ combination, I can also operate in Automatic mode (using the light sensor on the flash itself, not through the lens), Manual, and in SB mode for spot beam focusing aid. So, my original post (i.e., should I use P-TTL or TTL with this flash/body combination) is moot, there is only one choice, P-TTL.
I might be wrong but...

With DA, FAJ, FA, and F lenses, the AF360 should default to P-TTL.
If an A, M, or K lens is attached, it should default to TTL.
08-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I might be wrong but...

With DA, FAJ, FA, and F lenses, the AF360 should default to P-TTL.
If an A, M, or K lens is attached, it should default to TTL.
Yes, I think you are right. I'll have to test that to see. Thanks for the information.