Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42

I've a few Screw Mount bodies and I wonder if every model was available in black? I have not seen SP1000 or SP500 in black and was wondering if the K and AP were available in black.

I've seen H2 in black but I couldn't afford it. How about H3 or H1a?

Collecting black ones to keep the collection size down, this is starting to get out of hand!

07-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K certainly was but it is in the "hen's teeth" category. I don't know if every model was, however. Some of course, are usually black and only occasionally in anything else, e.g., the ES.

K.
07-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Spotmatic MkI, II and F were available in black, for instance I've a SPF in black.

Shot taken with a chrome KX, K50 mm f1.4 and Portra.
08-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Limiting your acquisitions to just the black models is definitely a good way to control the number of cameras as I only have a few of those myself.

Funny how it use to only cost a few bucks more to get the black version then!

Good luck trying to acquire a black version of the AP, S & K as there will be many of us going after likely the rarest of the rare. May the best man win . . .

08-02-2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For what I've seen on the price list I posted last week the upcharge was about $24, almost 10% of the camera that didn't go for cheap, especially in the past black cameras were quite rare, for instance black Spotties are quite uncommon, but however I prefer that model in chrome because the finish is luscious, while I prefer Ks in black.
08-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

For m42 mount bodies, I know the Sears TLS comes in black. On ebay they're around $20 bucks, though some people over price them.
08-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
For what I've seen on the price list I posted last week the upcharge was about $24, almost 10% of the camera that didn't go for cheap, especially in the past black cameras were quite rare, for instance black Spotties are quite uncommon, but however I prefer that model in chrome because the finish is luscious, while I prefer Ks in black.
The price differences are likely dependent on a lot of factors and probably cheaper in the US than in Europe. For instance in the 1979 Adorama ad below it lists a black body option for the Nikon FM ($219), FE ($319), F2A ($479) or F2AS ($605) as $15. It also lists the same additional price for the Pentax MX ($199) and ME ($169). For the Minolta and Canons it is $20.

-> Larger version 1979 Adorama ad

I don't have it accessible but the further back you go, the lower the price difference is for a black body.

08-03-2015, 06:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
I've AP, K, H1, 2, 3, H3v, H1a, SP500 & 1000 as place holders. Fs are everywhere in black so I'm looking for a silver one; don't care for them as users though so I havn't sent any to Eric. My first pro camera for color slides was a Spotty so I'm partial. Don't give a damn for ES and ESII but I've got them 'cause they seem to come attached to lenses I want.

All prospects are judged against the camera in my avitar

You can keep the new plasticfantastic auto everything and bayonet Pentaxes. If I need users with bayonet lens mount or wide open metering I've some Nikons

I keep trading to keep my numbers in check but it is always condition, condition, condition for me!
08-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by puderse Quote
I've AP, K, H1, 2, 3, H3v, H1a, SP500 & 1000 as place holders. Fs are everywhere in black so I'm looking for a silver one; don't care for them as users though so I havn't sent any to Eric. My first pro camera for color slides was a Spotty so I'm partial. Don't give a damn for ES and ESII but I've got them 'cause they seem to come attached to lenses I want.

You can keep the new plasticfantastic auto everything and bayonet Pentaxes. If I need users with bayonet lens mount or wide open metering I've some Nikons

I keep trading to keep my numbers in check but it is always condition, condition, condition for me!
Sorry the SP1000 was available in black? I didn't know that and I found no pic of the camera in that finish.
08-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Do you have a larger pic of what is shown in your avatar?
08-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
"I've AP, K, H1, 2, 3, H3v, H1a, SP500 & 1000 as place holders."

I meant that I've these in silver but am looking for them in black!

The avitar is a very nice SV. It's in one of my albums.

Got a black SPII in today's mail. Seems to be tying every bundle!!!

Last edited by puderse; 08-03-2015 at 02:46 PM.
08-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

"I've AP, K, H1, 2, 3, H3v, H1a, SP500 & 1000 as place holders."

I meant that I've these in silver but am looking for them in black!

The avitar is a very nice SV. It's in one of my albums.

Got a black SPII in today's mail. Seems to be tying every bundle!!!
Since we all have our own definition of "very nice", I wanted to see a larger version of that SV.

Most of us probably have placeholders for a nicer looking one and we all have our own trigger levels. In this thread - 2. Does any one own, or have a picture of a black AP?, a black AP that looks in great condition sold for $1450. For me I would prefer it to be fully functional since I do use them.

It seems I also have a wider range of Pentax models that I appreciate too. I am really glad that Pentax made the LX look very much like the AP.

Along with other brands . . .
08-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #13

Original Poster
Where would I find a 'condition' rating for classic Pentaxes, that everyone agrees on, that has qualification statements for each condition catagory?

For example: amount of brassing, dent in prism, other dents not caused by mounting shoe or clip on meter, working (but how wel?l), original paint, (retouched paint w/sharpie), good repaint, bad repaint, "normal signs of use", etc.

We all know the sellers on the auction sites have strict condition standards, where can I find these? (tongue firmly in cheek)
08-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Just like any other used product we all have our tolerances based on price. Picked up an "as-is" Asahi K from KEH that turned out to be cosmetically in great condition (no marks, dents or former owner's SSN) and fully functional (all shutter speeds accurate). I've bought enough from them to have an expectation of what I am going to get and their guarantee is reassuring if you need to exercise it.