Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Compare pentax K1000 and Ricoh xr1000s

Hello every one,

I'm a newbie and I am confused about the pentax K1000 and Ricoh xr1000s. Their prices are similar (around 50$) so I dont know which one I should choose. Please help me. Thanks a lot.

08-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Never used the XR1000/KR10 but a manual can be had from the Butkus site - ricoh kr-10 XR 1000X users manual
It seems the Ricoh has an electronic shutter (battery dependent) with aperture priority capability as opposed to the fully manual (not battery dependent) K1000.
08-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had this Ricoh KR_10 Super for about 20 years.

KR-10 super's "Pro" is the electronic exposure timer with a wide exposure coupling range that works well in low light in range 16 seconds to 1/1000 sec.
Much wider than the Pentax MX, and I am not sure how it compares with the K1000

KR-10 super's "Con" ( even with good eyes) is its early generation lcd display in the viewfinder of the shutter speed.
( selected either manually or in the green "A" mode) and the flashing over & under arrows.
These are not illuminated. Indoors, or outdoors in the evening these may be impossible to see.

The "Con is the reason I rarely use the camera.

Ricoh KR-5 Super2 and Pentax MX both have LEDS and are easier for me to use than the KR-10.

And Les is correct. KR-10 Super has to have a good battery in it.
Attached Images

08-04-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I have had this Ricoh KR_10 Super for about 20 years.
The OP is asking about the regular KR-10 which is a bit different camera. Your KR-10 Super is based on the XR7 (minus a few features) while the KR-10 is based on the XR-2s (minus a few features). I own the XR-2s and can make these comments and generalizations in comparison to the a K1000:
  • The K1000 is generally more repairable, though the cost to do so is more than the camera is worth
  • The KR-10 is battery dependent for meter and shutter release while the K1000 only loses metering if the battery dies. Battery life for both cameras in general use is at least a year.
  • The KR-10 has a self-timer, but it is not unusual for the lever to be broken off. The mechanism gets a little stiff with age.
  • Feature-for-feature the KR-10 has the edge. The value of aperture-preferred exposure automation cannot be overstated.
  • Both cameras are very well built
  • The KR-10 viewfinder provides shutter speed display
  • The KR-10 viewfinder is brighter and includes both microprism and split-image focus aids. Most K1000 provide microprism only.
  • Manual metering with the KR-10 requires continuous half press on the shutter release to keep the measuring needle active. This is cumbersome if you need to change the shutter speed while doing the actual metering.
  • The meter on the K1000 is on with needle active whenever light is detected through the lens
  • The KR-10 power switch built into the wind lever (on in ready position/off in stowed position). When in the stowed position, the shutter is locked.
  • Although the KR-10 supports dedicated flash and the K1000 does not, that was not a real consideration back in the day and the same is true now.
  • The KR-10 will accept the Ricoh power winder, but that is really sort of a gimmick. I own the winder and never use it.
  • As a teaching tool for a new learner, both cameras will definitely do the job though the KR-10 will probably be the more pleasant to use over the long run.
  • In most markets the KR-10 is probably less money than a K1000 in comparable condition. Here in the Portland, Oregon area the K1000 is at least 2x the money.
  • Both cameras (or comparable*) are very common on the market.
I did not include it as a bullet point, by my Ricoh XR-2s is my go-to K-mount film body over the KX, XR7, and Super Program that sit on the same shelf. I might also mention that the XR Rikenon 50/2 commonly sold with the KR-10 is better IMHO than the Pentax-M 50/2 or Pentax-A 50/2 found on most K1000.

Steve

* Similar Ricoh models to the KR-10 include the XR-2, and XR-2s. The Pentax KX and KM are both nicer than the K1000 and are often less expensive.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-04-2015 at 01:45 PM.
08-04-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One additional thing...here is a photo of my XR-2s and KX. The XR-2s is the similar weight and dimensions as the KR-10 and the KX is close to that of the K1000.

Twin sons of different mothers

Except for weight (KX is heavier), the two bodies are very similar. The same would be true for the KR-10 vs. the K1000.

Steve
08-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought a nice Sears KS1000, aka Ricoh XR-1s.
Feature-wise it's very similar to the Pentax KX.

The CdS cell meter isn't as good as the SPD meter on the KX.
OTOH the Sears/Ricoh can use an inexpensive power winder.

FWIW the Sears KS auto is the same as Steve's Ricoh XR-2s.

Chris
08-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah thanks guys a lot but it seems no one has the actual comparison of the two I asked
But still very good advice though
Still waitiing

08-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vicool Quote
Yeah thanks guys a lot but it seems no one has the actual comparison of the two I asked

Still waitiing
These are simple cameras so what particular comparisons are you looking for?
08-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
These are simple cameras so what particular comparisons are you looking for?
Yeah just some basic features and the image quality, ease of use... Those are both basic so it's harder to compare, I just have 50$ so I much choose 1 of them
08-06-2015, 02:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vicool Quote
Yeah just some basic features and the image quality, ease of use... Those are both basic so it's harder to compare, I just have 50$ so I much choose 1 of them
I think the posters here answered most of your questions, didn't they?

For the image quality, it depends more by the lens than the camera itself, if your budget just for the body or also for the lens?

For ease to use, as they already explained the xr1000-s is a more sophisticated camera with aperture priority, probably for a beginner I would recommend a simpler all mechanical camera like the Pentax K1000 or even better a Spotmatic F with Takumar 55mm 1.8, you should be able to find it in your price range: all you have to do with these cameras is to set the ASA of the film you use, set the shutter speed, turn the aperture ring until the needle is horizontal, focus and shoot, plus being mechanical they are always reliable and you can use them even if you run out of batteries.

For the lenses I don't have direct experience with Ricoh glass but I heard their 50 mm f1.4 is very good (expensive, tough), but being K mount you can also use Pentax lenses, the original K1000 came with the K 55mm f2 that is an excellent lens, the problem is that it's not easy to find one, most of the K1000s produced in HK came with the M 50 mm f2 and I'm not a fan of that lens, as well as the A 50 mm f2.

Still being K mounted you have many alternatives.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 08-06-2015 at 02:42 AM.
08-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yes thanks a lot every body, I decided to get a Pentax K1000, hope to talk with you guys soon about pictures
08-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

BTW, welcome on board and I hope you find a good functioning camera and body. Please post your experiences and results as you go.