Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Shooting Film

My MX has been out of commission for a while. Then I got it back, but haven't really used it. The dog and I went on a long walk in search of fall colors today (I think we're a few days or maybe a week early).

I have to say, though, the experience of shooting film is so much more engaging than digital. 98% of what I do is digital and I won't argue that film is better or even that my pictures will be. But walking around with a prime, I look carefully at what I want to photograph and what is going to be in the background and carefully chose the angle to make sure there's not going to be car or trashcan or something in my shot, then carefully consider what I want in focus and dial in my exposure. Manually focus (which is so easy on a good SLR) and recompose a few times until I'm sure and then click that shutter release...

I realize this is how I should shoot digital too, but I don't always and there is a huge advantage to that, but I'm glad that I haven't stopped shooting film now and again. It's such a good experience.

...sorry for the pointless post...just had to tell someone and the dog hears it all the time and just rolls her eyes.

10-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shoot film all the time mostly for the reason you described. Additionally I really like my cameras and don't want to stop using them. Maybe turning off the rear LCD and using a 64mb memory card would be something to try
10-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My behavior on my dSLR is always better after I shoot a few rolls of film. I enjoy both and don't feel bad about the benefits and shortcuts of digital when I use it. Shooting film, in addition to being really enjoyable, reminds me of how I should take pictures, though and occasionally I get something that has a quality that I don't think would have come across on digital.
10-04-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The more I personally enter the 'film house' the less I want to leave. These days, it's rare that I do. My digitals, in the past 2 years, have become the novelty. And, as you mentioned, I certainly shoot those better now than i ever did when they were the mainstay.

10-05-2015, 04:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shoot a lot more film since I got back to developing B&W. I spool rolls the length I want with a bulk loader, as I often want shorter rolls than 36. (I know - that's hard for the digital generation to comprehend.) The hard part is figuring out which old film camera to use...