Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Diopter adjustment on the Pentax ME Super

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been looking into buying a diopter adjustment lens that fits over the viewfinder of my ME super, but I'm not quite sure of the correct one to buy. Basically I've had too many photos spoilt by my inability to focus properly with a manual lense...

I'm shortsighted, and my prescription is for glasses with an adjutment of around -1.75 for both eyes. When I used my Fuji X100, I can turn the dial to -2 adjustment on the viewfinder, and this gives me a clear image when using the camera.

From what I've read the ME Super's viewfinder has a diopter adjustment of -1. Tiny add on lenses are available from around -5 to +3 (I think).

Firstly, am I right in thinking that the viewfinder on the ME Super already has an adjustment of -1 built in? If so, if I buy an adjustment lens with an adjustment of -1, does this provide a total diopter adjustment of -2?

Lastly, what diopter adjustment lenses actually fit on the Super? I've found this on ebay but I'm not sure if it's only for modern DSLRs.

Thanks for any help with this!

02-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkospoons Quote
Firstly, am I right in thinking that the viewfinder on the ME Super already has an adjustment of -1 built in? If so, if I buy an adjustment lens with an adjustment of -1, does this provide a total diopter adjustment of -2?
As far as I know it is correct.. and I tested two of those, one -1 and one -2 ( I am -2 ) and the -1 was better, less over-sharpened and putting less strain on my eyes.
02-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the MESuper you will use the Correction Lens Adapter - M. Look for a small 'M' embossed inside a circle on the lower right of the back of the Adapter. Items lacking the 'M' won't fit the viewfinder frame.

I have a +1.25 adjustment prescribed and I use a +2 on Pentax cameras. Seems to help a lot and validates the popular belief that Pentax viewfinders are set to -1 (ostensibly to make VF information more easily readable.
02-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

-1.0 is standard built-in on most SLRs including your Pentax ME Super.
Diopter eyepiece adapters are rated for the total including that.

If a -2.0 setting works well on your Fuji X100 look for the Asahi Pentax M -2.0 diopter eyepiece.
These come up occasionally on eBay.

Chris

02-08-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
-1.0 is standard built-in on most SLRs including your Pentax ME Super.
Diopter eyepiece adapters are rated for the total including that.

If a -2.0 setting works well on your Fuji X100 look for the Asahi Pentax M -2.0 diopter eyepiece.
These come up occasionally on eBay.

Chris
I thought this might be the case originally, but now I'm not so sure as it turns out that Pentax make a -1.0 diopter eyepiece. There would be no point in making a -1 eyepiece if the adapters are rated for the total adjustment including the built in -1. In a perfect world I'd buy a -1 and -2 and just use the most suitable, but they're pretty expensive for what they are.
02-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When all else fails read the instructions

The Pentax ME Super viewfinder is -1.0 diopters according to the specifications listed in the instruction manual.

The original Pentax ME (not Super) viewfinder is listed at -0.5 diopters.
That might help to explain the existence of an M -1.0 diopter eyepiece.

Chris
02-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Pentax ME Super viewfinder is -1.0 diopters according to the specifications listed in the instruction manual.

The original Pentax ME (not Super) viewfinder is listed at -0.5 diopters.
That might help to explain the existence of an M -1.0 diopter eyepiece.

Chris
I think I read somewhere that Nikon diopters are giving the combined value. I am pretty certain that this is not the case with the Pentax ones. You can't buy a 0 diopter, and the M diopter series was also used for the LX FA-1 and 1W finders which offer diopter adjustment. For choosing the correct strength, keep in mind that the -1 finders were built for convenient viewing by normal-sighted people.

02-09-2016, 12:48 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Buy a Pentax Refconverter A or if not available, one of the Chinese alternatives. I use mine with a Program A camera and with a K20D.

Last edited by beachboy2; 02-09-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: accuracy