Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whats in the box?

So I have been deeply infected by the Pentax bug. A pentax ME Super was my first camera and I had a few of them and a K1000, and an LX when I left the brand years ago (2002) to enter the digital age. I had thought about getting back into film for a couple of years and had always wanted an MX so in September, I found a beautiful black example for the princely sum of $250 so I grabbed it. Now I have two MXs, an ME SE, an ME Super, two SVs. I also have a bunch of glass now too including a Super Tank 300 F4, a couple k mount 50mms, a k mount 200mm, etc.

Once I got the first SV in my hands, I fell in love with the M42 bodies so I began making plans to add an AP, a K, and an S to the collection. Well, after buying my second SV last night, I woke up this morning to find this K on eBay. I had been watching and following prices here and on eBay for a few weeks and this one looked pretty good at the price so I jumped on it. I'm just wondering if it looks like this is complete with everything that originally came in the box. The warranty card lists the lens and body S/Ns and they match the hardware in the pictures included in the auction so that's a plus. The one item that seems out of place to me though is the case. Did the K come with a black case or was it brown like many of the others from the era? Is this possibly the original case? No matter really. At $100 shipped, I didn't think I could really go wrong. I'm just curious.

10-28-2016, 08:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This beauty just arrived today and is in even better condition that the photos indicated. As the ad stated, it was not in working condition but as a 21 year F-15E Strike Eagle weapons system technician, I'm pretty handy with a screwdriver so I decided to poke around inside and try to figure out the problem. It wasn't the typical slow/sticky mechanism under the bottom plate as I had suspected. I pulled off the front cover and discovered that if I manipulated a lever on the side of the mirror box (upper corner, next to the slow shutter speed dial) that the shutter would fire but the mirror would only twitch very slightly. I was able to gently lift the mirror to inspect the actuating linkage behind it and I found that the linkage had become disengaged somehow. I was able to re-engage the linkage and now the camera works perfectly!

The only problem that this machine has is that someone had disassembled the film rewind lever and lost some pieces. Here's a photo from the eBay ad. Please help me find the parts to complete this numbers-matching, paperwork and original box Pentax K!

10-28-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I realize that I'm kind of talking to myself here but maybe my ramblings will be helpful to someone else some day. I have been scouring the photos that I can find (there are relatively very few) and have discovered that the entire original rewind knob assembly was cannibalized for another camera. The original one would have horizontal ridges on it, while this one is smooth and doesn't sit flush, as it should, with the top of the film reminder dial. I'm not sure what the thin, threaded silver ring is or if it even belongs to this camera.

I took it out tonight and began to run an old roll of Kodak Gold Max 800 of unknown condition through it and about halfway through the roll I discovered that the shutter is not maintaining a consistent and reliable speed so this body will certainly be headed off to Eric for a CLA and to see if he has the correct film rewind knob assembly. I decided to scrap the roll of film because I'm certain that the shutter is not timed correctly.

Another question to anyone who might know though, what would be the correct front lens cover? Will it say Takumar, or Asahi Pentax, or something else across the front?
10-30-2016, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey

What a great find. One doesn't often find box, manual and waranty card for these old ladies. I'm really envious of that box!

Hope Eric can get it back in working order.

The K came with a brown leather case. It would have a cut out to accommodate for the slow speed dial. That black case in the photo is not the correct case.

As for the lens cap, I've seen all sorts of names, Pentax, Asahi Pentax, Takumar.

Clould I ask you to share the content of the price list? Maybe as a pdf?