Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Which bounce flash for ME Super?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I want to get a cheap bounce flash for my Pentax ME Super. I don't really care about quality, as I'm an amateur, as long as it's not complete crap. I just don't know which new flash units fit this old camera, or should I go with a used one? I was looking at a Sunpak for pretty cheap, but I don't know if it fits. What do I need to look for?

01-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
I want to get a cheap bounce flash for my Pentax ME Super. I don't really care about quality, as I'm an amateur, as long as it's not complete crap. I just don't know which new flash units fit this old camera, or should I go with a used one? I was looking at a Sunpak for pretty cheap, but I don't know if it fits. What do I need to look for?
Are you looking for full manual flash control (manually adjustable output) or auto.
The older Vivitar 283 is a good flash, but doesn't have swivel and is full power only on manual. Typically has good Auto mode.
The Vivitar 285 has swivel and manually adjustable output.

I think this flash https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Panasonic-Cameras-Digital-Standard/d...8AJEY6PQHFQ3Y3 has manually adjustable output.

The ME Super doesn't have TTL flash metering, so you need auto thyristor (?) for auto flash exposure.
01-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When I bought my ME Super a Sunpak flash was in the package. It worked fine, though I dreamed of getting a Pentax AF280T, just for the flash ready confirmation in the viewfinder (and to have a complete Pentax kit).

Just for vanity's sake, I'd rather buy a used flash from that era (og the ME Super), it just looks better with an 80's flash on an 80's camera than with a modern day flash on an 80's camera. :-)
01-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Are you looking for full manual flash control (manually adjustable output) or auto.
The older Vivitar 283 is a good flash, but doesn't have swivel and is full power only on manual. Typically has good Auto mode.
The Vivitar 285 has swivel and manually adjustable output.

I think this flash https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Speedlite-Panasonic-Cameras-Digital-Standard/d...8AJEY6PQHFQ3Y3 has manually adjustable output.

The ME Super doesn't have TTL flash metering, so you need auto thyristor (?) for auto flash exposure.
Well, I literally just bought a Pentax AF280T from ebay for $14 US. That seemed rather inexpensive, so I hope I'm not being bamboozled! That flash does work with the ME Super, right?

01-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF280T is cheap and offers everything you need. Any of the Nikon SB-24, 25, 26, 28 series would likely work. Many older flashes would work. Newer tend to lack the autothyristor options but some have it still.

I have no affiliation with this sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-AF280T-Shoe-Mount-Flash-234-/401249314555?has...EAAOSw241YYSz~

Roberts Camera has a good reputation and you can use this as a search springboard even if you don't buy from them.
01-23-2017, 01:27 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
When I bought my ME Super a Sunpak flash was in the package. It worked fine, though I dreamed of getting a Pentax AF280T, just for the flash ready confirmation in the viewfinder (and to have a complete Pentax kit).

Just for vanity's sake, I'd rather buy a used flash from that era (og the ME Super), it just looks better with an 80's flash on an 80's camera than with a modern day flash on an 80's camera. :-)
Yea, I literally found an AF280T on ebay after I posted this for only $14! Seems quite low priced, so I hope I'm not being swindled. Fingers crossed...Now, I just have to start designing my diffuser.
01-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I literally just bought a Pentax AF280T from ebay for $14 US. That seemed rather inexpensive, so I hope I'm not being bamboozled! That flash does work with the ME Super, right?
The AF280T should work great on the ME Super. I believe it has both Auto and TTL auto. It has manual, but no manually adjustable output.
$14 is a great deal.

01-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The AF280T should work great on the ME Super. I believe it has both Auto and TTL auto. It has manual, but no manually adjustable output.
$14 is a great deal.
Forgive for being a noob, but what exactly is auto and TTL auto in regard to flash units? Unless I'm mistaken, I was under the impression that the ME Super didn't use TTL metering or whatever.
01-23-2017, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Forgive for being a noob, but what exactly is auto and TTL auto in regard to flash units? Unless I'm mistaken, I was under the impression that the ME Super didn't use TTL metering or whatever.
In a very basic sense, Auto flash (in my mind) means the flash has a sensor on it that tells the flash when to shut off. TTL means the camera has a sensor inside that tells the flash when to shut off.
With Auto flash, you can use auto on any camera whether old and fully manual, or new and fully automatic.
TTL flash requires a camera body designed to work with the flash's TTL metering system.
01-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The AF280T will not benefit from TTL Auto functions with the MESuper. The MESuper does not have the circuitry necessary to control TTL flashes. The flash was made for use with the LX, and later the SuperPROGRAM.

My MESuper kit came with the AF200s, which was its companion flash at the time. That being said, the 280T is a great flash and will work fine as long as you manually control the settings (sliders on the back) and let the flash itself control exposure.

Links go to the Forum Accessory Reviews.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-23-2017 at 02:10 PM.
01-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto works within a min/max distance as long as you set the lens aperture to match the auto value. TTL as indicated would read the light in real time off the film plane if the camera has the proper sensors and the flash is compatible. As far as I know the ME is not TTL flash compatible. The AF280T has manual flash also but it only has two levels "High" (full) and "Low" (?).
01-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you can go wrong with the Pentax AF280T. It will be the perfect partner for the ME Super. You can use the either of the two auto settings on the flash if manual is not your thing. I picked up one on Ebay for $20 and use it on my K30 and K-01, and in some ways prefer it to the P-TTL flash units that I have. I have found the AF280T gives flawless performance in auto with perfect exposures every time. It is great value for money.
01-25-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In the past I used (and on occasion still use) a Sunpak Auto 383 Super on my ME Super and others; plenty of power with both bounce and swivel. It also has a fairly low trigger voltage (about 7V) so it's safe for DSLRs; I've used it many times on my K-5.
01-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crabby Quote
-[...] I have found the AF280T gives flawless performance in auto with perfect exposures every time. It is great value for money.
I ran a test once on my LX, and found that the auto setting on the AF280T gave a better exposure than the TTL auto.
01-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As noted above, contemporary Pentax-brand flashes of the day will provide flash dedication as well as automated flash exposure using an on-board photo cell (so-called auto-thyristor). In addition to Pentax flashes, there were a number of compatible third-party bounce flashes from that time that will work, many of which have high guide numbers (powerful) and/or Pentax dedication (i.e. vintage model Vivitar 2800, Vivitar 283, Vivitar 285). Note that many vintage non-Pentax flash are not compatible with modern cameras due to high trigger voltage on the hot shoe.

Steve