Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only use two bodies when on assignment. Otherwise I usually shoot one camera with one prime - more of a creative challenge that way.

And I have been known to fly through the air in slow motion, does that count as John Woo style?

12-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Especially where money is at stake, I always carry at least two, one in my hand the other over left shoulder on long strap to be swung round into instant use. Both contain freshly charged twin batteries (one in body the other in grip) and both fitted the prime lenses I think best suited to that assignment.

Multiple memory cards and further spare batteries, along with everything else in the Crumpler on the the right shoulder, but hey that's just me.
12-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I have a number of cameras to carry to any event for a number of reasons

1. no need to interchange lenses frequently

2. relying on various sensors for different purpose of shooting

3. in case faulty temperament of any camera
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

As I too shoot almost exclusively with primes, I'm in the habit of carrying two *ist DS cameras around regularly..... one with a wide angle (usually a 24 or 20), & the other with a telephoto (usually a 200, 135, or 85), & always have a fast 50 within easy reach (a third body would be a little too much).

12-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And I have been known to fly through the air in slow motion, does that count as John Woo style?
Only if you're armed with two cameras while dodging photos from other photogs.
Oh, and dark sunglasses. Definitely gotta have those.

I'm finding that I'm still using only one camera when I'm not on a serious photowalk since I usually carry a backpack with me. But I suspect that next photowalk I do will consist of two cameras. Changing lenses is definitely a hassle.

Hmm... may be time to get those R-strap double strap thingies for ultimate John Woo style (and comfort).
12-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That kind of thievery is exceedingly rare in my experience. I've been wandering around Baltimore for over 60 years and have been robbed once (and all they wanted was cash.)

Pretty much. If you're gonna be afraid to bring the camera, hang em' up.

Just don't make yourself a target. Keep the bag and your eyes moving.
12-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I always have a back up for my shoots.

12-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I always have a back up for my shoots.
The question posed in the original post was about carrying a second camera for casual shooting, i.e. not a paid gig or major event. Do you ever carry two bodies when shooting for fun?
12-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I currently have a K20D and a k100D, but thinking of picking up a used k10d to supplement the k20d as backup and second shooter since my K100D is starting to go a little haywire due to age (or something) and the viewfinder doesn't suit my manual focus style.

... So, does anyone else here use two cameras, even just for regular shooting? i know back in the older film days it was sort of the norm for photojournalists. Am I just nuts and maybe just want to be a John Woo style DSLR fanboy?? haha

Many photographers have done it in the past. If you can find news or sports photos from the distant past that include photographers in them, you'll see this. For example, in Hans-Michael Koetzle's terrific Photo Icons book, vol. 2, there's a photo by a great German news photographer Barbara Klemm, showing Leonid Brezhnev (Soviet Communist Party Chair at the time) meeting German Chancellor Willy Brandt in Bonn. The photo mainly shows the principals and their translators huddled close together. But in the near background, there's another photographer, shooting the back of Brezhnev's head. He's holding one Nikon with what appears to be a wide lens, and he has two other Nikons hanging around his neck, one of which has a telephoto lens.

Wow, I found the image on the Web. Google Images never ceases to amaze.

Anyway, it's still common, or at least not uncommon. I routinely carry two cameras with me, and sometimes three. This was true when I was working an event in the past, where I'd carry a wide, fast zoom on one camera and a tele, fast mid-range or longer-range zoom on the other. Now that I work almost exclusively with primes, I carry more than one camera even more than I used to, because I would prefer not to change lenses. Now I'll carry the K10D with a Sigma 28 f/1.8 and the K20D with (perhaps) the Pentax 70 f/2.4. I'll have the *ist DS loaded in my bag with the Pentax 40 f/2.8 limited, although I don't shoot a lot with the *ist DS because it makes me think too hard about what I'm doing. I can switch from the K20D to the K10D without switching "gears" so to speak.

Note that I'm actually USING both cameras. The second camera isn't just a "backup." Shooting primes this two-camera = two-lens approach gives me the versatility that news photographers were looking for in the past when they carried multiple lenses. But it's also the case, that, if one camera WERE to fail, I want the other camera RIGHT THERE, turned on and working. I can't apologize to the couple and the minister and ask them to pause the wedding ceremony for one minute while I get the backup out of my bag!

Will
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #25

Shoot live music concerts & festivals.

Main body Samsung GX20 with Tamron 17-50mm 2.8
2nd body Pentax K110d with DA*50-135mm 2.8

Main body I use all the time, the Pentax K110d for face & close up shots.

The K110d with the DA*50-135mm works great & is really light compared to my GX20 combo, pic below. If I only had my GX20 would have missed this shot.

same gig GX20

12-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a 2 cam set up a lot... family events, I usually want a fast lens, so I'll have a 24 and a 77 usually on a k10 and a k20. typically, I'll have one on a neck strap, and the other in a small holster style pouch w/ the zipper open.

If I'm hiking and I'm in a group, I rather like having 2 cams so I don't have to hold up the rest of the group too often (though it's still a lot ). I use a slingbag (aw200) and have a fanny bag for the second body. the fanny bag has lens holders on either side of the holster pouch which has been perfect for water bottles since the slingbag doesn't have a good way to carry water. If the weather is bad, the fanny bag will usually have the weather resistant stuff, so either the 50-135 or the 18-55.

Now that k10 and k20 bodies have become so affordable, it's very nice to have this option.
12-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just purchased a K10D to compliment my K20D (and to replace my aging, but extremely enduring, K100D). This should make it easier for me in terms of having two similar cameras to work with.

My work is definitely aimed at using fast (or fast-ish) lenses. My current setup is the DA*55 F1.4 on the K20D and Sigma 30mm F1.4. I'm thinking that these lenses may not be spaced out enough and I may possibly need to go wider.

Thought about doing a fanny pack! I have a Crumpler 7million dollar home messenger bag and it fits my two camera just fine. For weddings though... may have to re-think this as the bag is quite big. hmm... Fanny pack for being on the scene and separate backpack to include everything in? Haha... fanny pack during a wedding might get me some unwanted attention :P

Right now I rest one camera on each shoulder, but awaiting the R-strap and (possibly soon) the coupleR to make it all work together.
12-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Many photographers have done it in the past. If you can find news or sports photos from the distant past that include photographers in them, you'll see this. For example, in Hans-Michael Koetzle's terrific Photo Icons book, vol. 2, there's a photo by a great German news photographer Barbara Klemm, showing Leonid Brezhnev (Soviet Communist Party Chair at the time) meeting German Chancellor Willy Brandt in Bonn. The photo mainly shows the principals and their translators huddled close together. But in the near background, there's another photographer, shooting the back of Brezhnev's head. He's holding one Nikon with what appears to be a wide lens, and he has two other Nikons hanging around his neck, one of which has a telephoto lens.

Wow, I found the image on the Web. Google Images never ceases to amaze.

Definitely the one he has to his eye is the Nikon F2.
I got to use one of those very briefly before I changed to an F3.
I think these where times then that a zoom lens with a very wide to tele capability was not available that is why the need for 3 cameras.
I would rather also think that they had not only different lenses on the camera but they had more important was different films with different ASA or light spectrum capability.
That is why they had a need for more than 2 cameras.
12-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's very on-point, Gerry! That was back in the day when there was one (count them:1) computer on my campus and it took up the entire 4th floor of the Administration Building.
12-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Hmm, I usually carry two cams myself and 90% of what I shoot is street. The combos are usually different, but for the past month as an example, I have been using mostly one of my K20D's with a 24mm prime and a film body...either an ME SUPER with my M40F/2.8 or Canon AE-1 with a 28 or 50mm lens...I do not like to carry two digital bodies, because of the weight and really, I enjoy shooting film very much, but I like the ease of a digital as well.

Who Is John Woo?