Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

MX-1 $229 at Adorama
Posted By: innivus, 01-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Check it out: MX-1

Pentax MX1 Digial Camera - Silver 12633

Views: 5,475
01-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Great price! If I wasn't already saving up for a Q7 I'd probably jump on this deal.

01-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I'll second the lens!! The MX-1 easily replaces the Q/02 combo in every way. It's faster, sharper, quicker to focus and has more reach too. This is a no-brainer!
I'd have to agree with this, for the most part.

The Q is fun to use because of it's manual zoom and (to a lesser extent) the manual focus, and the flexibility afforded by its hotshoe. Yes, I will occasionally attach a flash to the Q -- or perhaps I should say that I attach the Q to a flash.

But for image quality there is no comparison. The MX-1 is just more versatile in most normal situations.

One of these days I will have to try the Q7 ....
01-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
One of these days I will have to try the Q7 ....
Its sensor is basically the same one that's in the MX-1, but the MX-1's lens still dominates.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
keep the junk emails coming...

QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
I get their junk e-mails...
Yes, also thanks for sharing this deal. Just put in my order. There must be plenty left, it still says "In Stock". Was looking for an affordable compact with RAW. Glad I waited for this one. Also bought the extended Pentax warranty for $20 and used a 4% rebate to pay for it when I bought the discontinued 15mm Ltd late last year (on Adam's 2% discount). PF is a great forum!

01-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

....and Adorama ran out of MX-1 cameras

Is it discontinued, or are they going to get more?
01-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Still shows in stock if you use this link in the OP. but if you just "search" for MX-1 on their site, it does say that the camera is not available. Weird.
01-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

correct

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Still shows in stock if you use this link in the OP. but if you just "search" for MX-1 on their site, it does say that the camera is not available. Weird.
Yes, use the OP's link. They just shipped mine tonight with free shipping.

01-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess I waited a bit to long.

Was going to order last night, but didn't get a chance to. Now it is up to $249
01-11-2014, 05:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was fighting the urge to order it. I get the feeling we'll see a $199 sale in the near future.
01-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I too was planning to order it on Monday after my current credit card billing month closes. Oh well. I agree that we may well see a $199 price soon enough-- that is what Woot sold it for most recently.

By the way, when I chatted online with an Adorama sales guy last week, he said that they had "lots" of MX-1's in stock.
01-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My guess also is that we will see it come back down to the $229 or even $199 shortly.

I'm really struggling with this one. After trying quite a few compact cameras with the small sensors, I swore I wouldn't buy anything with less than an APS-C sensor. But the tilting screen on this one plus the ability to shoot raw has me thinking about it.

I downloaded a couple raw samples from imaging resource so I could run them through DxO to see how it did (DxO supports this camera), the images were terrible - soft and basically out of focus. I wish I could find a couple good raw samples to help me make up my mind.......
01-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

spanish web site

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
My guess also is that we will see it come back down to the $229 or even $199 shortly.

I'm really struggling with this one. After trying quite a few compact cameras with the small sensors, I swore I wouldn't buy anything with less than an APS-C sensor. But the tilting screen on this one plus the ability to shoot raw has me thinking about it.

I downloaded a couple raw samples from imaging resource so I could run them through DxO to see how it did (DxO supports this camera), the images were terrible - soft and basically out of focus. I wish I could find a couple good raw samples to help me make up my mind.......
A DPreview forum posting mentions a spanish web site with full sized images at the end of their review of the MX-1 (I believe it is a pre-production model). You can read the reference here:

MX-1 Full-Sized Sample Images including RAW: Pentax Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And here is PC mag review photos originally taken in RAW and then processed for web display:

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,3253,l=308100&a=308100&po=8,00.asp

Also, thanks for mentioning that DxO supports this camera, looking forward to using the software with RAW from this camera.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 01-11-2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: .
01-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
A DPreview forum posting mentions a spanish web site with full sized images at the end of their review of the MX-1 (I believe it is a pre-production model). You can read the reference here:

MX-1 Full-Sized Sample Images including RAW: Pentax Compact Camera Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And here is PC mag review photos originally taken in RAW and then processed for web display:

Pentax MX-1 - Slide 8 - Slideshow from PCMag.com

Also, thanks for mentioning that DxO supports this camera, looking forward to using the software with RAW from this camera.
Thanks for the raw links for the Spanish site - downloading now.

Yeah, I was surprised to see this camera in the DxO support list. I noticed that they are supporting more compact cameras like the Panasonic FZ200, so I took a look for the MX-1 and there it was!
01-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Gah, I was waffling back and forth since the $229 deal was posted...thought about upgrading my Nokia 920 to the 1020 and skipping a point and shoot but the 1020 just doesn't focus close enough. I had a Sony M1 tilty-swively camera a few years ago that also had a "super close" macro mode like the MX-1 and I used it all the time.

I shall wait for a $199 or $229 deal again, then I think I'm in for one.
01-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
I get their junk e-mails...

You know you can unsubscribe (as well as subscribe), at the bottom of any web page.......