Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sigma 85mm 1.4 for Pentax ending soon on eBay, No Reserve
Posted By: Edgar_in_Indy, 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just noticed that somebody has a Sigma 85mm 1.4 for K-mount on eBay ending in a few hours. Second-hand copies of this lens in K-mount come up for sale very rarely. Searching the marketplace, it looks like in the last two years there have only been two or three listed for sale.

Sigma 85 mm F 1 4 HSM EX DG Lens for Pentax 085126320614 | eBay

I'm guessing that most people who have one tend to hold onto it. I know I'll never let mine go! It is easily my favorite lens, and from what I've seen it is a legitimate contender to the legendary Pentax 85mm 1.4. It captures skin tone and texture like no other lens I've ever used.

it seems like the few used copies that have come up usually go for $700-$800 shipped. Finding one on eBay as no-reserve auction is also unusual, and probably won't happen again anytime soon. There's 4 hours left as I post this, and it's only at $500, so maybe somebody will get lucky.

BTW, it looks like the seller ships only in the US.

Here are a few samples from my Sigma 85mm so you can see what I'm talking about. The first picture is a snapshot from last summer of one of my daughters playing in the sprinkler in our yard. The other three pictures are kids from church. All of the pictures were taken with natural light, with absolutely no kind of lighting equipment or modifiers. I've linked to the full-size shots so you can pixel-peep them to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-24-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Views: 3,300
04-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #2

Wow, Beautiful details. Zoom in on this photos if you have not done so, you will understand the poster is 100% correct. That would be a great lens to have for sure.....
04-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great portrait lens.
That first picture WOW, fantastic.
04-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The first picture looked okay on my monitor at home, but now that I'm looking at it on another computer, it looks like it could use a slight saturation boost; or perhaps I need to bump the white balance a tad warmer.

Also, pixel peeping the last picture (the girl in the green knit sweater), I see that the focus is actually slightly forward, on her nose instead of her eyes. My Sigma 85mm is dead-on accurate, and when I get a situation like above, it usually means that either my subject moved her head slightly, or I moved slightly, after locking focus. That's how it goes sometimes when you're working with a fast telephoto that can produce razor-thin focal planes. The way focus is perfectly locked on the left eye on my subject in photo 2 is typical of this lens's accuracy.

I know the Pentax 85mm typically goes for more when one comes up for sale, but I wouldn't trade my Sigma for one. The Sigma is ridiculously sharp, has great bokeh, it's accurate, and the HSM is quick and silent.

---------- Post added 04-24-14 at 07:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Great portrait lens.
That first picture WOW, fantastic.
Thanks!

We've all heard photographers complain about people seeing their expensive gear and saying something like, "Wow, your camera must take great pictures!", disregarding the prominent role the photographer plays in getting a good picture. But with my Sigma 85mm, I kind of feel like it really does take great pictures.

The pictures I get from it just have a certain sophisticated quality that I don't from most other lenses. I can use it in a fairly ordinary setting, and come away with pictures that are extraordinary. My Sigma 100-300mm f4 is probably similar in this regard, but I don't have occasion to deploy it nearly as often.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-24-2014 at 04:32 PM.
04-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I just noticed that somebody has a Sigma 85mm 1.4 for K-mount on eBay ending in a few hours. Second-hand copies of this lens in K-mount come up for sale very rarely. Searching the marketplace, it looks like in the last two years there have only been two or three listed for sale.

Sigma 85 mm F 1 4 HSM EX DG Lens for Pentax 085126320614 | eBay

I'm guessing that most people who have one tend to hold onto it. I know I'll never let mine go! It is easily my favorite lens, and from what I've seen it is a legitimate contender to the legendary Pentax 85mm 1.4. It captures skin tone and texture like no other lens I've ever used.

it seems like the few used copies that have come up usually go for $700-$800 shipped. Finding one on eBay as no-reserve auction is also unusual, and probably won't happen again anytime soon. There's 4 hours left as I post this, and it's only at $500, so maybe somebody will get lucky.

BTW, it looks like the seller ships only in the US.

Here are a few samples from my Sigma 85mm so you can see what I'm talking about. The first picture is a snapshot from last summer of one of my daughters playing in the sprinkler in our yard. The other three pictures are kids from church. All of the pictures were taken with natural light, with absolutely no kind of lighting equipment or modifiers. I've linked to the full-size shots so you can pixel-peep them to see what I'm talking about.

It is a great lens. Do not worry... The price will bump up at the end, I think.
04-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
We've all heard photographers complain about people seeing their expensive gear and saying something like, "Wow, your camera must take great pictures!", disregarding the prominent role the photographer plays in getting a good picture. But with my Sigma 85mm, I kind of feel like it really does take great pictures.

The pictures I get from it just have a certain sophisticated quality that I don't from most other lenses. I can use it in a fairly ordinary setting, and come away with pictures that are extraordinary.
Those top lenses have a way of making us feel awfully good about ourselves as photographers, don't they? It's a good reward for the money you've spent, and for all the time you've likely put into photography before getting the nerve to spend that much!

Good work on the shots, BTW!
04-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sold for $625 + shipping.

04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good price for whoever bought it.
04-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You can buy a new (refurbished) copy from Sigma Outlet for U$729 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Refurbished | Sigma Corporation of America
04-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
You can buy a new (refurbished) copy from Sigma Outlet for U$729 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Refurbished | Sigma Corporation of America
It looks like they only have Nikon and Sigma mounts in the outlet.
04-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There's a used EX+ at Adorama for $699.
04-25-2014, 11:42 AM   #12

Just curious if this is full frame or for APS-C. I am not familiar with Sigmas designations
04-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is full frame. It compared favorably to the mythical FA*85 1.4. Which, for myself, is hard to believe.
04-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
It is full frame. It compared favorably to the mythical FA*85 1.4. Which, for myself, is hard to believe.
A lot of professional and FF Canon users have actually chosen, or switched to, the Sigma 85mm over the Canon 85mm 1.2L. Shortly before I bought my 85mm, I remember reading a blog from some big-time wedding photographer explaining why he ditched his 85mm 1.2 in favor of the Sigma, and he made a convincing argument.

From what I've read, the general consensus is that while an optimal copy of the "L" may have enjoy a tiny advantage in image quality, the Sigma is much easier to work with since it is lighter, it focuses much faster, and does not need switched into manual mode to make focus adjustments.

And the fact that the Sigma is about $1200-$1300 cheaper than the "L" certainly doesn't hurt! ($960 vs $2600 as of now.) In other words, like many recent Sigma lenses, it is an amazing value in terms of how much quality and performance you get for your money.
05-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #15

I think I read a while back that some Pentax lens designers went to work for Sigma. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?