Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
Pentax K3- $649
Posted By: tampamiketaylor, 12-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,

Abes of maine have a new K3 for $649 shipped. Any catch on this you think, it says "fresh import model". Anyone have any experience with them? I think I will pull the trigger if this is legit.

PENTAX K-3 DSLR Camera (Body Only)

Thx,
Mike
Views: 2,431
12-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People have indicated that it is a grey market good and that they will contact you for an upsell.
12-25-2014, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/283502-k3-body-only...bes-maine.html
12-25-2014, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Abes of Maine had the reputation to be a reputed seller. I did not buy from them, but some PF members reported good things.

12-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Abe of Maine had the reputation to be a reputed seller. I did not buy from them,but several PF members reported good things.
They try to upsell nearly every time but I've been able to say no. See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/283502-k3-body-only...bes-maine.html
12-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
They try to upsell nearly every time but I've been able to say no. See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/283502-k3-body-only...bes-maine.html
Hey man,

So other than upsell that is optional everything comes with the camera that a reg US one has (battery, charger, etc)? And any issue with warranty?
12-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tampamiketaylor Quote
Hey man,

So other than upsell that is optional everything comes with the camera that a reg US one has (battery, charger, etc)? And any issue with warranty?
Warranty is an interesting issue. Pentax has tried to say that they will no longer honor the international warranty in the US. Not sure how they do that, but there it is.

12-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Warranty is an interesting issue. Pentax has tried to say that they will no longer honor the international warranty in the US. Not sure how they do that, but there it is.
Do you know if the import models are built in the same factory, standards, etc as the US one?

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 04:46 PM ----------

$721 with a package of extras (guess around $70-80 of extras). Comes to less than $650 for the body. Worth it or would it be best to hold off till Feb when the mew model will likely be announced?

Pentax K 3 Digital SLR Camera Black Body 24GB Package | eBay
12-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I know about grey market items is that Pentax will not honor their warranty since the camera was sold outside the country it was intended for. Maybe Abes of Maine will sell it with their own warranty. Bottom line is the camera is the same as any other just without the one year Pentax Warranty.
12-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you know if the import models are built in the same factory, standards, etc as the US one?

---------- Post added 12-25-14 at 04:46 PM ----------

$721 with a package of extras (guess around $70-80 of extras). Comes to less than $650 for the body. Worth it or would it be best to hold off till Feb when the mew model will likely be announced?

Pentax K 3 Digital SLR Camera Black Body 24GB Package | eBay
Warranty refusal is a scam by manufacturers. Its the same camera, made in the same factory, by the same staff, to the same standards. They claim that money is allocated to regional distributors in order to support warranty service, but why have an international warranty and then announce its no good. Either Pentax made the gear or they didn't. Either it isn't function due to no fault of the user or it isn't. If it's not the users fault, its within the warranty period, and its not counterfeit then they need to service their product. My opinion, yours may vary.
12-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Warranty refusal is a scam by manufacturers. Its the same camera, made in the same factory, by the same staff, to the same standards. They claim that money is allocated to regional distributors in order to support warranty service, but why have an international warranty and then announce its no good. Either Pentax made the gear or they didn't. Either it isn't function due to no fault of the user or it isn't. If it's not the users fault, its within the warranty period, and its not counterfeit then they need to service their product. My opinion, yours may vary.
Yeah, that is a deal breaker if that is the case. What do you think about the $721 package deal with 2 cards, extra battery, lens protector, etc. I estimate about $70 for the extra which puts the $650 for a US model OR would it make sense to wait till Feb when they likely announce the new model for another price break for k3?

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body) 24GB Package
12-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah, that is a deal breaker if that is the case. What do you think about the $721 package deal with 2 cards, extra battery, lens protector, etc. I estimate about $70 for the extra which puts the $650 for a US model OR would it make sense to wait till Feb when they likely announce the new model for another price break for k3?

Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera - Black (Body) 24GB Package
I don't imaging the K3 will go lower in the near future. This is the time of year that Pentax prices reach their lowest point all year. For example - the recent 31Ltd and 55-300WR sale prices were well below anything seen in recent years, even Sigma does it this time of year with the 150-500 going to $769 for a week or so and then back up to $869 for about 3 weeks and then back to MSRP generally. Warranty is important and I'd pay the price at Adorama or B&H for the camera plus grip if I were going to get one now (was sorely temped I must admit but my K-5iis is still going strong).
12-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Looks like the ebay deal not an import model so i may go for it

I don't imaging the K3 will go lower in the near future. This is the time of year that Pentax prices reach their lowest point all year. For example - the recent 31Ltd and 55-300WR sale prices were well below anything seen in recent years, even Sigma does it this time of year with the 150-500 going to $769 for a week or so and then back up to $869 for about 3 weeks and then back to MSRP generally. Warranty is important and I'd pay the price at Adorama or B&H for the camera plus grip if I were going to get one now (was sorely temped I must admit but my K-5iis is still going strong).
12-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Thank you. Looks like the ebay deal not an import model so i may go for it
Good luck. Merry Christmas.
12-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good luck. Merry Christmas.
You too man, thanks for your help!