Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
SanDisk Black Friday @ Adorama
Posted By: Adam, 11-27-2015, 01:43 PM

Adorama has prepared a nice landing page featuring all of their Sandisk specials. This includes the extreme series SD cards found about halfway down the page:

SanDisk Black Friday Specials

Views: 1,473
11-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I ordered four of these.

I have been using these in my K3.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/ultra-sd-30mbs

Hopefully the new ones will speed up the write speed. I don't know what the K3's writing capabilities are but here's to hoping.

Do you think it will speed up my write speeds?
11-29-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I ordered four of these.

I have been using these in my K3.

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-cards/sd-cards/ultra-sd-30mbs

Hopefully the new ones will speed up the write speed. I don't know what the K3's writing capabilities are but here's to hoping.

Do you think it will speed up my write speeds?
I used one of those when I first got my K3, just because I had one lying around. It was painfully slow, I know what you mean. I think I am currently using a 95 MB/s Extreme Pro card, but somewhere in between I swapped some cards around and tried the 45 MB/s Ultra Whatever version in there, and even that was a significant improvement over the 30 MB/s card. The 45 MB/s card was pretty much workable as is, but I wanted to go for the UHS bus. So yes, I think you will be very much more satisfied with one of these 90 MB/s cards!
11-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I used one of those when I first got my K3, just because I had one lying around. It was painfully slow, I know what you mean. I think I am currently using a 95 MB/s Extreme Pro card, but somewhere in between I swapped some cards around and tried the 45 MB/s Ultra Whatever version in there, and even that was a significant improvement over the 30 MB/s card. The 45 MB/s card was pretty much workable as is, but I wanted to go for the UHS bus. So yes, I think you will be very much more satisfied with one of these 90 MB/s cards!
I believe the new Extreme Plus version is 90mb/s WRITE speed but double check the fine print before you order. Supposedly anything over 45mb/s write speed helps the k-3 (if I am remembering that correctly).

11-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry, I have to correct my comment above. I did buy some 95 MB/s Extreme Pro cards, but those are for my Panasonic GH4, for video recording. My K-3 is still using the 45 MB/s Extreme card in slot 1 for RAW files, and the original FLU card in slot 2 for JPEGs. I guess I was so impressed with the performance improvement of the 45 MB/s card vs. the older 30 MB/s card, that I never did bother upgrading. I'll also note that both cards are UHS-1 type.

So... I am even more certain you will appreciate the performance improvement of the 90 MB/s card!

Heck, maybe I should buy one too!
11-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
I believe the new Extreme Plus version is 90mb/s WRITE speed but double check the fine print before you order. Supposedly anything over 45mb/s write speed helps the k-3 (if I am remembering that correctly).
Read is 90 and write is 'up to 40'...

In any case it's a big upgrade from what I have been using. I will have 4 of them which is more than enough memory for me. I will keep the old cards too just in case.
11-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Read is 90 and write is 'up to 40'...

In any case it's a big upgrade from what I have been using. I will have 4 of them which is more than enough memory for me. I will keep the old cards too just in case.
OK, thanks for the correction. B&H description is wrong then, on the microSD extreme Plus version. According to SanDisk website, microSD should be 80mb/50mb (read/write speeds), 16GB card is 80/40. Regular SD card is 80/60 for all sizes.

11-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is information on SD cards and read/write speed on the K-3 II. Don't know how that would translate to the K-3 or other Pentax cameras: Pentax K-3 II SD Card Write Speed Comparison of Fastest Memory Cards for the Pentax K3 II Digital Camera - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
11-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent chart. Thanks for sharing it!
12-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I got my cards and did a quick not so scientific test...I turned my camera on full speed burst mode... and wow. HUUUUGE difference. All that buffer lag is way less. I will do more testing as I go out and shoot more pictures. The others were struggling when the card would get about 1/3 to 1/2 full...but initial reports are all good. Big improvement.
12-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I just did a test using full burst mode... and WOW. HUGE improvement. I smack myself in the forehead over this one...I SOOO should have done this earlier...I shot over 15GB worth of photos without even barely a slowdown.