Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread

K7 (body Only/new) Price Tracking
Posted By: harmonica2, 03-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Hopefully, this will become the definitive thread for tracking the price of a new body-only Pentax K7.

The best price is currently at Beach Camera, when you figure in Bing Cash Back. The listed price is $939, but if you have a Bing Cash Back account and pay with Paypal, you get 8% off, bringing the price to $863.88.

Please reply to this thread if a better price appears, or if this price is no longer available and another vendor has the best price.

If you have questions about Bing Cash Back as it pertains to Pentax resellers, please start a new thread about that.
Views: 15,799
06-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #31
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K7 now 828 with free shipping at Amazon.

06-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #32

almost same price at buydig.com, but no tax, 3% bing cashback
06-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #33

$799 at buydig now. that's $63 cheaper than a week ago...

does it mean a new camera is coming?
06-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #34

Original Poster
Amazon and B&H

The price dropped quite a bit this morning: $763 at both Amazon and B&H.

06-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
getting closer to my comfort level...
06-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #36
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by harmonica2 Quote
The price dropped quite a bit this morning: $763 at both Amazon and B&H.
Amazon doesn't have it in listed stock right now. It's listed as a "usually ships in 1-3 weeks" item now. Some of their 3rd party sellers have it, though.
06-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big Spike 6/23

Okay, I had to stare at this for a while over my morning coffee....

As of Wed morning 6/23 I see prices at Amazon and BH now at $863, about 100 dollars MORE than exactly one week ago. If I'm reading something wrong, someone say so, but it looks like we took a huge spike in the wrong direction ... contrary to rumors of a big DROP this week.

Wow, I'm glad I pulled the trigger last week at the 763 price.

germar

06-23-2010, 06:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

all the game playing with HoyaTax bodies and lenses has become tedious...set the price and sell the crap or don't and don't...it's sorta that simple. remember one thing, Hoya makes a ton on selling over priced filters, if you want anything decent that is. Many which cost more than the price of a lot of Pentax lenses themselves...and they also use MAP pricing and I also suspect use what is called, in publishing, the "agency pricing" model which severely restricts how a business may advertise prices as well as what they are "allowed" to charge for a product. Do a google on "map pricing hoya" and see what comes up....interesting information. This is where HoyaTax loses my trust...I guess I am just old and not willing to accept such games...I just want to buy what I want or need at a fair price that does not fluctuate faster than the price of gold or junk bonds.
06-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As of Friday 6/25 BH is still at 863, but Amazon has it for 782. That Amazon price is FROM Amazon, not a "partner" vendor.

I just think that the BH spike may have been the result of a jump in demand at 780 and dwindling stock. My guess is that as soon as the truck arrives at BH and a pallet of K7s are offloaded, we'll see the price dip again to what Amazon has.

I DO hate the instability of K7 prices. It sucks when you are on the losing end.
08-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

as of a few minutes ago it went to the nearly $900 from Amazon...seems HoyaTax is playing games again with pricing....other prices via Amazon's Third Party sellers hover around $865 right now...

Amazon.com: Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD…

Do not be surprised if the next K7 class body is as expensive as the Canon 7D...it's the Hoya way....
08-05-2010, 05:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I would have to say at this point, any price fluctuations are due to supply and demand at the retailer level - what on earth would Hoya have to do with Amazon's price determinations? Hoya sets the MSRP, and probably does offer incentives/direct rebates at certain points during the product life cycle, but to say Hoya is behind Amazon bumping their price up $75 bucks (or whatever it was) just sounds silly.
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I would have to say at this point, any price fluctuations are due to supply and demand at the retailer level - what on earth would Hoya have to do with Amazon's price determinations? Hoya sets the MSRP, and probably does offer incentives/direct rebates at certain points during the product life cycle, but to say Hoya is behind Amazon bumping their price up $75 bucks (or whatever it was) just sounds silly.
Since ya don't know, Hoya uses a practice which is on it's way to being illegal in the US and that is called MAP pricing agreements. Just google "hoya map agreement" to learn more....in fact it will eventually come to a court issue because the state of Maryland, as well as others, has a law on the books that in a nutshell makes these anti-consumer tactics illegal.

A basic summary is that Hoya sets rules about the lowest price an authorized reseller can advertise their products for sale...meaning is Amazon wanted to use the K7 as a loss leader or just break even to bring in more customers, that would violate their agreement with Hoya and then Hoya would be able to not only cancel the contract with Amazon but could potentially sue Amazon over the violation.

That is how and what Hoya does to fix pricing. Supply and demand is a myth today...especially for manufactured goods. If you want to test it put say, 1000 K-7's up for sale at auction on eBay and see what prices they bring...trust me it won't be more than about a $700 average and that would be new with full warranties...and no that is not flooding the market and lowering the price, there are far more than 1000 K-7s for sale in the US easily as accessible as an eBay auction.

There are other factors affecting prices, but supply and demand of the final product is not one of them in retail sales as the supply control is artificia, l in fact given the market share HoyaTax has the price should be lower using supply & demand logic...never has been it's all marketing spin to create buyer anxiety to make them feel good about spending so much.
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #43

it seems the K7's price has gone up. now it is 865 for body only on Amazon.