Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D + Sigma EF-500 DG Super worries

So, I finally decided to go for the Sigma Flash. I've read both raving good and horribly bad reviews, but far more of the first.

I also made sure I got a copy with a new serial number (808XXXX) to avoid the firmware issues.

Finally I spent near 2 days google-ing for tips, tricks, known probs etc, but nothing that actually covers this.

So now:
Multi-flash doesn't work. Whatever setting I try, it only fires once

Wireless doesn't work. It fires, but the timing is off (yes, I use the pop-up flash, I've seen several reports where people had got it to work)

It doesn't seem to communicate properly; if I take 5 shots (in P mode) upping the ISO at every shot the get visibly lighter at each ISO step.

If I tilt up to bounce, I get under-exposed images (white ceiling, no more than 2.5 mtr high)

Have I bought a dud? Or am I just missing some points..?.. Hints, please!!

Thanks.

10-14-2007, 03:18 AM   #2

Original Poster
No one?

Well, I'll just have to wait and see what the Sigma folk have to say about this...
10-14-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a K10D and EF-500, I to have had some problems, but also a distinct lack of time to experiment. I will answer your questions with my experiences and then tomorrow night play with the flash and see what I come up with.

I also made sure I got a copy with a new serial number (808XXXX) to avoid the firmware issues.
I'm not sure of my flashes serial, but am 90% sure it is flashed for the K10D, will confirm.

Multi-flash doesn't work. Whatever setting I try, it only fires once
I noticed this when I was first playing with it back in May, would only work when I test fired it and not when I actually took a photo. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Wireless doesn't work. It fires, but the timing is off (yes, I use the pop-up flash, I've seen several reports where people had got it to work)
I didn't have a problem with timing, but every shot is massively under-exposed.

It doesn't seem to communicate properly; if I take 5 shots (in P mode) upping the ISO at every shot the get visibly lighter at each ISO step.
I haven't used the flash in P-mode, always Tv or Av.

If I tilt up to bounce, I get under-exposed images (white ceiling, no more than 2.5 mtr high)
I have struck the same problem occasionally. But not very under-exposed, only slightly.

My knowledge and skill with flash is limited. Well, knowledge is limited, skill is poor. I will have a session with the flash, the instructions and the K10D tomorrow night and post my results.

I will also confirm my serial numbers. I'm on version 1.30 of firmware in the camera, what are you running?
10-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply!

I got in contact with a Swedish (?) guy that has it working properly. His story gave me the feeling it IS a firmware thing. So I've made en appointment to check. As for the remote flash; it is very hard to tell, but if I put the flash in the image, I only saw light coming out og it (in the picture) once, out of dozens of test shots.. Underexposure is then unavoidable, because the camera should assume there's an external flash, right?

I know it does go off (I see it, even through the seeker). I just think it goes off too soon..

Well, we will see! I'll keep you posted on developments.

10-15-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

OK, this is going to be a lengthy post so please bear with me.

I dragged out my EF-500 Super manual tonight, popped in some fresh batteries and grabbed my K10D (firmware V.1.30) with my trusty Sigma 18-125 and started experimenting.

All shots taken with pattern metering, auto white balance in a room with 3 regular light bulbs and a TV.

Please excuse the crappy subject matter, and the awful carpet, I'm looking after my girlfriends dog and rental house whilst she's interstate.

First shot: Full manual mode as per JMI's recommendations (K10D back in action at the club!!)

Camera: 1/10, f5.6, ISO-200. Flash: P-TTL.

Trailing Sync. I didn't know how to test this so this is as good as I could do.

Camera: Manual, 1/45, f5.6, ISO-200, trailing sync. Flash: P-TTL

Multi-flash. I mucked about with this for a while but worked out that you have to run a really slow shutter speed to get any effect, like lower than 1/10.

Camera: Manual, 1/4, f3.5, ISO-100. Flash: multi-flash mode 1/8 power, 12Hz, 10 flashes.

Bounce flash. I have used bounce before so knew it would under-expose slightly so bumped the flash +EV up 1 stop. Shots taken sitting on the couch bouncing the flash off a 12ft ceiling.

Camera: 1/60, f4.5, ISO-200. Flash: P-TTL, pointed toward ceiling.

Now, wireless. I had some problems when I first played with this a while back but figured I was doing something wrong because I was rushing. I am still lost now though, even after reading the instructions back to front and playing with all sorts of settings.

One of the big things I notice is the in-camera flash fires as well. I thought it would only fire to trigger the external flash. Is this a setting I'm missing?

This first shot shows the setup for this experiment. Flowers in the middle of the table, flash off to the right.

This is with the EF-500 firing as well as the K10D internal flash.
Camera: 1/60, f4.5, ISO-200. Flash: mounted on it's stand, wireless slave mode, channel 1.

This is with only the K10D's internal flash. I can't see much of a difference. The EF-500 isn't doing much, or the internal flash is overpowering it. Flash is 1.5ft from the subject angled up slightly, the camera is 5ft from the subject.
Camera: 1/60, f4.5, ISO-200. Flash: off

This was my test to make sure the EF-500 was really firing.
Camera: 1/60, f4.5, ISO-200. Flash: mounted on it's stand, wireless slave mode, channel 1.

Now I was just trying to make the flash do something. (Here's a good shot of the shitty carpet ).
Camera: 1/60, f4.5, ISO-200, +1.0 flash EV. Flash: mounted on it's stand, wireless slave mode, channel 1, +1.0 EV. (Yes I set both the flash and the camera to +1.0 EV, does this work out to +2.0 stops? I realise it would only be in th earea covered by both flashes.)

So, there you have it. Wireless does work, for me, but because the in-camera flash fires every time it takes away from the effect of the EF-500. This is very annoying, does anyone know how I turn this off? I tried both regular flash mode and wireless settings in-camera, with the flash mounted off-camera. The internal flash fired every time.

Simple answer is: I'm stumped. I don't have my K10D manual on me so don't know if that says how to disable the internal flash when using wireless.

Anyone?

Adam........
10-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
So, there you have it. Wireless does work, for me, but because the in-camera flash fires every time it takes away from the effect of the EF-500. This is very annoying, does anyone know how I turn this off? I tried both regular flash mode and wireless settings in-camera, with the flash mounted off-camera. The internal flash fired every time.
In the K10D's custom options, set "Flash in wireless mode" to off. I'm guessing you'll get massively underexposed shots because the EF500 will not fire correctly (i.e. the shots will look the same as if you turn the EF500 off).
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
ok.. so.. you've got it working!
That's pretty good to know, but still means I have to go to the Sigma service center. Even with an exposure of 4s(!) and set to strobe 10 times at 4 Hz it fires only once.

If I set to remote, the flash fires, but on the shot it shows dark (fires too soon, I see it go off thru the viewfinder)

Anyone solved this with a Sigma firmware update? My K10D has firmware 1.30

10-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
In the K10D's custom options, set "Flash in wireless mode" to off. I'm guessing you'll get massively underexposed shots because the EF500 will not fire correctly (i.e. the shots will look the same as if you turn the EF500 off).
Just tried this, you are right, it under exposes like mad! As you said, the same as though the EF-500 didn't fire. But, if you take your eye off the viewfinder then you see it fire. This is the same as what Fishy was saying.

Be interested to see what Sigma have to say.
10-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
Sigma Visit

Yesterday I visited a Sigma Service Center. It took about 5 minutes, and new firmware was installed. Bummer I had to go there, but all in all I'm pleased now the thing (seems to) work. (more testing needed, maybe tonight)

So; wireless seems to work, in both modes of the K10D popup (Master and Controller). Strobing also works, so I guess I'm happy.

I did get the advice to keep an eye out for a new Pentax firmware upgrade...?.. Anyone know more about this?

Well, if the firmware happens, and if it affects the flash, the sigma should have an update of their own within a couple of months.
10-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #10

Original Poster
So, a few (sorry, uninspired) testshots.
Both flash remote, first one popupflash as controller (off, in the K10D menu)
second pic popup as master (on, in the menu)

Obviously I slightly misaligned the flash so it just doesn't iluminate the front of the camera, but I feel satisfied enough with this result. Guess the firmware update did the trick.

Only funny thing is that it fired when my popup flash did the focus-assist, but I can live with that..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by fishy; 10-25-2007 at 12:31 PM.
10-25-2007, 02:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ha, excellant. Thankyou very much for posting this. I will now get in contact with my Sigma service centre and send off my flash.