Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Metz 58 and HSS

It has been documented that the Metz 58 AF-1 flash unit does NOT function as a controller/master when trying to wirelessly activate a second, off-camera flash in High-Speed Sync. However, the Metz CAN be used as the HSS slave. This seems to be a bug, or something overlooked in the development of this flash for Pentax.

I had called Bogen Tech Support (U.S.) and related the issue. I did candidly tell the gentleman that it was fortunate I still had a Pentax 540 as my second flash, rather than a second Metz, so that IT (the Pentax) could be used as controller for the Metz. (Needless to say I didn't go into detail about how the placement of the Metz sensor causes it to be rather "hit & miss" as far as reliability.) His response was, "Well it sounds like you've been able to work out a solution to the problem." I would have rather heard, "Yes, we're working on a firmware update which should be out shortly"!

Well, he did at least forward my concerns to the parent company in Germany, and I have received their response:

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry of 02 June 2009 .

We regret that in wireless “Pentax Remote Control” the master/controller function in HSS mode is not available by the flash unit “mecablitz 58 AF-1P digital” (for Pentax).

We have forwarded this problem to our developing department (laboratory) to have it checked whether it is possible to retrofit this function to flash unit by a firmware update.

Unfortunately, I was told at the present there is no firmware update in preparation for this type of flash unit.

We regret to have no other info rmation for you and remain

With kind regards

Wolfgang Becker
Technical Support

Too bad. It's disappointing that they tacitly acknowledge the need to buy into their competion to get the full functionality out of -their- unit, rather than fix the problem. That being said, this issue is of no concern for the majority of uses, and the Metz 58 is still a great flash. Just thought I'd share this follow-up for anyone interested.
Paul

06-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Well, he did at least forward my concerns to the parent company in Germany, and I have received their response:
It's important to note that Bogen is not a subsidiary company at all, just the US distributor. They don't do any engineering or manufacturing.
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Has anyone tested this with the 58 AF-2?
02-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks Neversatisfied, you let people know there is an important shortcoming of the Metz 58 AF-1 .

02-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds like the AF-2 version is better. I had heard that the sensor (for slave / off camera use) has been re-located also. The Pentax had seemed to be more reliable when using off-camera P-TTL, than the Metz AF-1, in that regard. It's good to see Metz coming up with product improvements; perhaps now the Metz is the superior flash, all the way around.
02-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Sounds like the AF-2 version is better. I had heard that the sensor (for slave / off camera use) has been re-located also. The Pentax had seemed to be more reliable when using off-camera P-TTL, than the Metz AF-1, in that regard. It's good to see Metz coming up with product improvements; perhaps now the Metz is the superior flash, all the way around.
The AF-2 version definitely has improvements in general. But do you know about HSS in specific?
02-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The AF-2 version definitely has improvements in general. But do you know about HSS in specific?
Hi Matt, no I was hoping to hear more from 58AF-2 owners, now that it's available. My own experience was with the 58 AF-1 version, after which I switched back to Pentax AF540s. At this point I'm just gonna stick with those.

02-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Has anyone tested this with the 58 AF-2?
Wallace Lai e-mailed Metz with this question, and got back the response that the new model won't work either. Oh well.
03-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Gotta wonder sometimes about product developers and their hit-or-miss approach to product upgrades.

And manuals! Right now, I'm trying to find out how to set my new 58 AF2 and my K10 to the same wireless channel. Put the two manuals together, and the procedure is nowhere clearly specified. If I can't find it on the forum or mattdm's site, I'll have to work it out by trial and error. I'm hoping it's as simple as putting the flash on the hot shoe and making the channel setting on the flash.
10-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #10

Hi Matt, no I was hoping to hear more from 58AF-2 owners,
I got the 58 AF2, the problem still exist.

QuoteOriginally posted by christinelandon Quote
I'm trying to find out how to set my new 58 AF2 and my K10 to the same wireless channel.
put the flash on K10D's hotshose, trun on the flash and camera. then the same channel will be set.
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #11

no I was hoping to hear more from 58AF-2 owners, now that it's available. My own experience was with the 58 AF-1 version,
I got the 58 AF2, this problem still exist.
06-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Metz has release firmware V4.0 for the 58 AF-2 (and other models) and the update is HSS related.
"Firmware V4.0 (released on 18.06.2013)

Improvement: HSS function with Pentax K-30 and K-5 II will be enabled.
"
However, I'm not sure what the update is about because HSS has been working with my K-5 II before (V3.0) and HSS in master mode is apparently still not supported. Maybe a double check of the latter claim will reveal a different outcome?